Reload this Page >

T2 to T3 at SFO - Airside Connection?

T2 to T3 at SFO - Airside Connection?

Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dhuey
Perhaps that's the goal, but I think SFO presents too big and important of a market for Delta and American to let United dominate.
Not gonna say that UA @ SFO optimally uses the gates it controls in Terminal 3 - especially F5 thru F10 - but I'm not looking forward to going from possibly G12/G13/G14 to D10/D11.

Reminds me of IAH.

David
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dhuey
I wonder what that's about. I get how that's now practical with the D-E airside connection, but United has so many gates in E and F. Are they really at capacity in their normal space, or is there some other reason for this?
Pre-pandemic they were absolutely short of gates at certain times of the day. Not as badly as some other airports, but certainly enough that a few additional gates in D would be beneficial.

Originally Posted by DELee
Not gonna say that UA @ SFO optimally uses the gates it controls in Terminal 3 - especially F5 thru F10 - but I'm not looking forward to going from possibly G12/G13/G14 to D10/D11.
Realistically I'm not sure that it's any longer than going from the gates at the end of F to G. Perhaps a little slower due to the lack of moving walkways and the fact that the area between E and F can be somewhat crowded at times, but distance wise it looks to be similar.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by docbert
Realistically I'm not sure that it's any longer than going from the gates at the end of F to G. Perhaps a little slower due to the lack of moving walkways and the fact that the area between E and F can be somewhat crowded at times, but distance wise it looks to be similar.
I think the walk from G to end of E would take longer than to end of F since F has the moving walkways. I agree that D is not much farther than the end of E or F.

Most of the time, SFO is a pretty easy connection. IMO the biggest headache is a domestic arrival at G with your bags arriving at T3. Now that sucks.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the walk from G to end of E would take longer than to end of F since F has the moving walkways. I agree that D is not much farther than the end of E or F.
Not sure how often y'all connect in SFO. Agree that G12/G13/G14 to F19/F20 is currently the longest walk but if the moving walkways are moving, then not as bad as running the G to E gauntlet past the folks clearing security next to F.

As noted over in the discussion going on in the UA Forum, the biggest challenges making short connects are the elevation changes needed when getting released into the end of G, going upstairs (or non-moving blockers on the escalators) to then be able to walk down that concourse, down and around to get out of G and then sprinting to either the end of F, E and now D.

David
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Not sure how often y'all connect in SFO. Agree that G12/G13/G14 to F19/F20 is currently the longest walk but if the moving walkways are moving, then not as bad as running the G to E gauntlet past the folks clearing security next to F.

As noted over in the discussion going on in the UA Forum, the biggest challenges making short connects are the elevation changes needed when getting released into the end of G, going upstairs (or non-moving blockers on the escalators) to then be able to walk down that concourse, down and around to get out of G and then sprinting to either the end of F, E and now D.

David
Kvetch all you like. All of this is still easier than navigating the single DL JFK T4 concourse. (On the other hand, it isn't as easy as navigating the JFK UA gates )
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Kvetch all you like. All of this is still easier than navigating the single DL JFK T4 concourse. (On the other hand, it isn't as easy as navigating the JFK UA gates )
If y'all wanna complain, try connecting in ATL.

David
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
If y'all wanna complain, try connecting in ATL.

David
ATL is a breeze. If you wanted to pick on a DL hub (besides JFK already being mentioned) you should've said MSP
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
ATL is a breeze. If you wanted to pick on a DL hub (besides JFK already being mentioned) you should've said MSP
I'm not a fan of the out, over, up, down, around, in and sprint going between the different concourses. And no flight connection is ever in the same concourse.

David
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm not a fan of the out, over, up, down, around, in and sprint going between the different concourses. And no flight connection is ever in the same concourse.
I mean, at worst it's over, down, Plane Train (or walk if you want the steps), up, and over. I once made a 35 minute connection from the far end of one concourse to the far end of another concourse, flying on FL back in my kettle days Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Most of the time, SFO is a pretty easy connection. IMO the biggest headache is a domestic arrival at G with your bags arriving at T3. Now that sucks.
The additional gates in D will hopefully make this far less common, although I'm sure it'll still happen for at least some aircraft that are headed to an international destination next.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Meanwhile, SFO remains one of the easiest and most compact major airports anywhere. This connector only improves matters. Other than the runway situation, I'd rate it amongst the best airports to navigate and for amenities in the USA.
dhuey, Kacee, econ and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Meanwhile, SFO remains one of the easiest and most compact major airports anywhere. This connector only improves matters. Other than the runway situation, I'd rate it amongst the best airports to navigate and for amenities in the USA.
Yeah there may be some home airport bias on my part, but SFO is overall a very easy airport to navigate and an overall very passenger friendly design. I actually think the worst experience currently in terms of pointlessly long walks is an AA arrival with the north exit from T1 closed for construction so you have to loop all the way back up to (what the airport calls) the south end of the terminal.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:37 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
What a transformation SFO has made in the 31 years I've been out here. Back in 1990, it was awful. Now, I agree with the above comments that it's among the best airports in the world from a passenger experience perspective.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Not gonna say that UA @ SFO optimally uses the gates it controls in Terminal 3 - especially F5 thru F10
Anyone know why UA doesn't utilize those gates more?

Every time I walk by the T3 rotunda area and glance down that pier, it seems like a ghost town, and I haven't had a departure/arrival at any of those gates in several years.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by econ
Every time I walk by the T3 rotunda area and glance down that pier, it seems like a ghost town, and I haven't had a departure/arrival at any of those gates in several years.
I've had many RJ departures from those gates. I'm not sure they can fit larger aircraft in there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.