FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   BART offering 25% discount on airport rides — but there's a catch (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1943942-bart-offering-25-discount-airport-rides-but-theres-catch.html)

Eastbay1K Dec 4, 2018 3:32 pm

BART offering 25% discount on airport rides — but there's a catch

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/resour...e-13442274.php

Looks like more trouble than its worth.

xooz Dec 4, 2018 6:33 pm

The only thing more trouble than the deal is reading the link if you don't have a subscription.:)

dhuey Dec 4, 2018 7:32 pm

"The procedure for entering and exiting the stations is different, too. After travelers activate the ticket on their phones, they must show it to a Station Agent as they enter and leave. If no agent is present, riders are asked to enter through any "passable gate," such as the handicap gate beside the information booth."

--

Ugh. Who comes up with this crap?

squeakr Dec 6, 2018 6:57 pm

I don’t have a subscription and I see the link – it’s SF Gate which is free

Originally Posted by xooz (Post 30499584)
The only thing more trouble than the deal is reading the link if you don't have a subscription.:)

I don’t have a subscription and I see the link – it’s SF your gate

xooz Dec 6, 2018 7:39 pm

Yes, I can get to the link, but it is so cluttered with things and images downloading that you can't scroll... then some popup comes up to ask you to sign up which was difficult to get rid of. That was my experience anyway and maybe that has nothing to do with whether one subscribes or not.

I did get to read a fair amount of the article though. It did seem like they are almost trying to make it difficult to use.

dhuey Dec 6, 2018 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by xooz (Post 30507440)
Yes, I can get to the link, but it is so cluttered with things and images downloading that you can't scroll... then some popup comes up to ask you to sign up which was difficult to get rid of. That was my experience anyway and maybe that has nothing to do with whether one subscribes or not.

I did get to read a fair amount of the article though. It did seem like they are almost trying to make it difficult to use.

After you take the time to scroll and delete, you'll read about this fabulous BART deal. It's 25% off for airport rides. But it's only good as a two-fer: you'll need to have a traveling companion to make it work. And you'll need to find a gate with a station agent on duty. Did I mention the app you'll need for this? When you're all done, you'll save about two or three bucks.

returnoftheyeti Dec 10, 2018 3:13 am

BART has announced a new mobile app that offers discounted tickets for groups of two or more traveling to select Bay Area airports, but you'll have to jump through a few hoops to get the deal.

The transit agency says the BART to Airport app, now available on the App Store and Google Play, will serve as a one-year test for mobile ticketing, a service otherwise unavailable to BART riders who must swipe paper tickets or Clipper Cards.

Riders who purchase their tickets on the app will receive a 25-percent discount, though there are some stipulations. For one, only trips to and from San Francisco International Airport or Oakland International Airport are covered by the in-app ticketing. You must also purchase fare for at least two people
The procedure for entering and exiting the stations is different, too. After travelers activate the ticket on their phones, they must show it to a Station Agent as they enter and leave. If no agent is present, riders are asked to enter through any "passable gate," such as the handicap gate beside the information booth.

Standard one-way fare from Powell St. Station to SFO costs $19.30 for two people. By purchasing tickets on the app, riders would save $5.57 for the same trip.

In addition to BART to Airport, the transit agency has an official BART app for trip planning, departure times an advisories, as well as a BART Watch app for reporting suspicious and illegal activity in stations or on trains.

SF Gate website is cancer. I use an ......., or on my tablet I use reading mode.

Also, I love how they are basically encouraging fare evasion tactics here. “Just go through the swinging door, what could possibly go wrong”.

docbert Dec 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti (Post 30518019)
Also, I love how they are basically encouraging fare evasion tactics here. “Just go through the swinging door, what could possibly go wrong”.

This is no different to how countless public transport systems around the world work - including Caltrain. The onus is on the passenger to be able to prove that they have a valid ticket whilst travelling.

BART is normally different as the act of charging the fare is directly tied to using the gates, but in this case it's not.

Eastbay1K Dec 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 30528075)
This is no different to how countless public transport systems around the world work - including Caltrain. The onus is on the passenger to be able to prove that they have a valid ticket whilst travelling.

BART is normally different as the act of charging the fare is directly tied to using the gates, but in this case it's not.

Not to mention the chances of being accused of fare evasion during one of their crackdowns with people just waltzing through those gates.

docbert Dec 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 30528226)
Not to mention the chances of being accused of fare evasion during one of their crackdowns with people just waltzing through those gates.

"Excuse me sir, can I see your ticket or pass please?"
**Shows app**
"Thank you."

Now that I think about, SF MUNI would probably have been a better example than Caltrain as they have *exactly* the same system where you can buy a ticket on an app, activate it before boarding, and then simply show the app if they asked to see your ticket. My 70 year old parents had no issues using this when they were in SF last year, so I'm sure they wouldn't have issues using the BART version either.

Eastbay1K Dec 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 30528496)
"Excuse me sir, can I see your ticket or pass please?"
**Shows app**
"Thank you."

Now that I think about, SF MUNI would probably have been a better example than Caltrain as they have *exactly* the same system where you can buy a ticket on an app, activate it before boarding, and then simply show the app if they asked to see your ticket. My 70 year old parents had no issues using this when they were in SF last year, so I'm sure they wouldn't have issues using the BART version either.

Muni works generally on a Proof of Payment system, with roving officers asking for proof. BART does not. You can still be asked, but it is rare.

scottpenderson Dec 18, 2018 1:03 am

I read about this new app in the Matier & Ross column today (https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-13470466.php)

It seems worse than described in the quotes upthread. Now they say that if you use the app, and encounter a booth without an agent, that there is a phone number to call to be buzzed in. Can't wait to see tourists with no american phone/data plan use this feature.

From the column:

So, in the hope of becoming more competitive, BART has embarked on a yearlong trial of an app that includes a 25 percent discount for groups of two or more. It’s available in the iTunes App Store and on Google Play.

But there is a bit of a tech gap.

BART doesn’t have scanners at its stations for people using the app, so riders need to show the ticket image on their phone to the station agent.

BART has posted a phone number on station agents’ booths for riders to call if the agent isn’t around. A BART employee monitoring a closed-circuit TV camera will buzz riders through the gates.