FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Oakland Airport concessions update (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1940613-oakland-airport-concessions-update.html)

ucdtim17 Nov 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Oakland Airport concessions update

OAK getting a long overdue eating/drinking update, with a long list of strong local brands:

Drake's Brewing
Sierra Nevada
Red Bay Coffee
Tay Ho
Cosecha
District
A16
Farley's
Calavera
Brown Sugar Kitchen
Luka's
Southie
Oakland A's Club House
Peet's

Also, notable local sandwich shop Subway. So long, Chili's Too!

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/art...r-13392600.php

freeagent Nov 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Thank god for more Peet's Coffee too.

ryw Nov 14, 2018 8:59 pm

Exciting! It's not clear from the article, but I assume these will be replacing the current concession stands, rather than the building of new food/marketplace areas?

Eastbay1K Nov 14, 2018 11:23 pm

I take it that District will not be offering its Sunday bottomless mimosa brunch at the airport? ;)

garykung Nov 14, 2018 11:43 pm

Sad news...

On one hand, OAK becomes more competitive in term of the terminal offerings. On the other hand, everything will be way much more expensive.

It is the exact case happening at SFO.

ucdtim17 Nov 15, 2018 9:29 am

Originally Posted by freeagent (Post 30430566)
Thank god for more Peet's Coffee too.

Hopefully more coffee overall - the Starbucks lines are crazy in the mornings

ucdtim17 Nov 15, 2018 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ryw (Post 30431027)
Exciting! It's not clear from the article, but I assume these will be replacing the current concession stands, rather than the building of new food/marketplace areas?

Replacing. Planned locations:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f8f9df9777.jpg

Eastbay1K Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 30431327)
Sad news...

On one hand, OAK becomes more competitive in term of the terminal offerings. On the other hand, everything will be way much more expensive.

It is the exact case happening at SFO.

Excellent news. I thought the SFO venues are charging essentially their in-city prices. Of course, these aren't bargain fast food joints, but I'd rather have "less, good food" than "more, bad food."

ryw Nov 15, 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 (Post 30432627)
Replacing. Planned locations:

Thanks for the image, that's exactly what I was looking for! Sort of sad that the outposts for First and Last Chance, and Fenton's will be gone, but looking forward to seeing the new vendors!

garykung Nov 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 30432635)
Excellent news. I thought the SFO venues are charging essentially their in-city prices. Of course, these aren't bargain fast food joints, but I'd rather have "less, good food" than "more, bad food."

There are reasons why the most popular joints at SFO are Wendy's and BK...

dhuey Nov 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Interesting, but I spend all of my pre-flight time at OAK in the Escape Lounge these days. Such a nice little lounge in the mornings.

PotomacApproach Dec 20, 2018 6:07 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 30431327)

Chili's Too has serious airport surcharges as it is. Looking forward to District opening up.

Boraxo Jan 23, 2021 11:59 am

We just visited and there is not much open. There is one restaurant in Terminal 1 (near Gate 6) that has a small selection of food (burgers, salads) and full bar as well as packaged food to go. There are more restaurant in Terminal 2 (pizza & starbucks near Gate 23) that also have limited food selection. As of September there was nothing open near gates 26-32 but that may have changed. The convenience vendors (candy, soft drinks, snacks) are open, too.

Eastbay1K Jan 23, 2021 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 32989523)
We just visited and there is not much open. There is one restaurant in Terminal 1 (near Gate 6) that has a small selection of food (burgers, salads) and full bar as well as packaged food to go. There are more restaurant in Terminal 2 (pizza & starbucks near Gate 23) that also have limited food selection. As of September there was nothing open near gates 26-32 but that may have changed. The convenience vendors (candy, soft drinks, snacks) are open, too.

Was the rear (approximately 1/3) of T1 still blocked off from access?

Boraxo Jan 23, 2021 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 32989741)
Was the rear (approximately 1/3) of T1 still blocked off from access?

Did not appear to be but there was no action there. We did not go beyond the restrooms...