Massive fire in NorCal causing flight delays and bad air Aug 2020->

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Massive fire in NorCal causing flight delays and bad air Aug 2020->

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2020, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
It's really bad right now in Sacramento. Though we had the windows open early this morning
Someone I know opened their bedroom window last night...and the smoke detectors in the house went off at 4AM. The rest of the family was not amused!
MSPeconomist and freeagent like this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmastron
Someone I know opened their bedroom window last night...and the smoke detectors in the house went off at 4AM. The rest of the family was not amused!
Late last night I went out and had a swim and the air was okay. I thought about opening up, but decided it wasn't ready yet. I was surprised to wake up this morning to decent air.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tom911
I see the governor has requested Canadian and Australian firefighters today. Is there any scheduled service still running between the U.S. and Australia?
UA is flying daily passenger flights SYD-SFO, plus additional non-passenger flights several days a week that could likely be modified to be passenger flights for something like this if really needed. DL is flying 3x weekly SYD-LAX. UA is also restarting SYD-LAX in a week or so.

There is a government-imposed limit of 450 passengers per day and 50 passengers per flight for arrivals into Sydney - but one would presume firefighters would be exempt from such limits (which would obviously only be relevant on their return to Australia).
tom911 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The coastal towns are the only places with consistently good air quality. We took our dog to the Half Moon Bay beach yesterday to enjoy the fresh air. Everyone was nicely distanced. Of course the authorities - in their infinite wisdom - closed the beaches today ostensibly to keep evacuation routes open and to avoid crowding. None of which was observed yesterday. AQ has generally been decent at SF beaches too.

PurpleAir is now displaying readings in the 400 range for my neighborhood - worse than anything I ever experienced in China.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Right now the choices are bad (yellow), awful (orange) and horrible (purple).
Old Aug 23, 2020, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by jmastron
Eek I firmly believe that all windows and doors need to be closed if any smoke can be smelled...

It's really bad right now in Sacramento. Though we had the windows open early this morning
Agreed...

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is pretty unhealthy thru the region today and dry lightening predicted for tonight
Yep. Very bad.

Late last night I went out and had a swim and the air was okay. I thought about opening up, but decided it wasn't ready yet. I was surprised to wake up this morning to decent air.
we definitely had doors / windows open late last night. I decided to get extra groceries this morning, before it got worse. By 9:30a I was glad to be home.

Originally Posted by dhuey
Right now the choices are bad (yellow), awful (orange) and horrible (purple).
Agreed. I’m trying hard to just stay indoors although I have to drop off a tiny parcel in a mailbox by the house - I’ll be driving instead of walking...
Old Aug 23, 2020, 11:55 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
When I got up this morning, the air was orange tinged with brown. I thought our AQ approaching 200 was bad. 400 is scary.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
For those PG&E electricity customers who are curious about which "rotating outage block" you are located in, you can look it up (and read a FAQ and other info) below. And, from the FAQ:

Over half our customers are in outage block 50, so it is a common block code. Block 50 customers are usually on the same circuit as a critical facility such as a hospital, police station or fire station and are unlikely to be affected by rotating block outages.

https://www.pge.com/en_US/residentia...age-block.page
boxo likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Yeah, the coastal air quality is usually somewhat better than even a few miles inland, because the prevailing winds are mostly from the west. However, when a Diablo (aka "Santa Ana" in SoCal) wind occurs, not necessarily so.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Marine layer is back! Onshore winds! Fires will still burn in many places, but it looks like we might now get out of the smokey soup and have nice air again in the SF Bay Area.
Eastbay1K and Boraxo like this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 12:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Came home from Seattle at 6 and was surprised to have the nice wind working its way up the Bay and blue skies just before sunset. Not expecting that during the day tomorrow, though.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Came home from Seattle at 6 and was surprised to have the nice wind working its way up the Bay and blue skies just before sunset. Not expecting that during the day tomorrow, though.
it was nice until 12:45am in sf. Then I had to close the door :-)
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Yesterday an FTer I know alerted me about the AirNow app, provided by EPA, which provides some air quality numbers to look at. Last night my city was in the healthy range. In the last hour it's jumped from moderate to unhealthy for sensitive groups. You can smell the smoke in the air again. The air quality index jumped from the 40 range last night to 113 right now. The forecast is 165 which is unhealthy for everyone, so going to get even worse.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Yesterday an FTer I know alerted me about the AirNow app, provided by EPA, which provides some air quality numbers to look at. Last night my city was in the healthy range. In the last hour it's jumped from moderate to unhealthy for sensitive groups. You can smell the smoke in the air again. The air quality index jumped from the 40 range last night to 113 right now. The forecast is 165 which is unhealthy for everyone, so going to get even worse.
Nifty. 52 here, but the air quality has been so variable, from choking stench and low hanging haze to a lovely evening yesterday.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Aug 25, 2020 at 3:38 pm
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Unfortunately the respite was short lived, just enough time to finally enjoy a long dog walk without an N95 mask. By this am the smoke was back and AQ is unhealthy again. Even worse there is no escape in the Bay Area as AQ has declined for most of the Peninsula and SF as well.

there is progress on fire containment and I’m told the winds will shift favorably tomorrow, so hope springs eternal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.