Search

AK domestic > BA International connection @ SFO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
AK domestic > BA International connection @ SFO

Hi all,

I have two flights, both booked through BA, but on separate tickets. They just moved me onto a later flight from LAS as below. Is it enough time?

It’s mid May if that makes any difference to wx delays etc.

AlaskaLAS>SFO arrive at 16:50
BA SFO>LHR depart at 19:35

we’ll have checked bags and it looks like it won’t be through checked on current policy.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

On separate tickets and having to check your bags again with BA you will have to collect them at SFO ( T2 i think) and get them to the BA check in desks at the International Terminal ( A gates) and completed check in 1 h prior to departure (ie st 1835 for a 1935 departure). BA will have no obligation to assist you if you miss this deadline.

I do not know about Alaska's baggage policy but I have alerted a moderator to move this post to the alaska airline forum where the experts should be able to help ( as you will be checking in with Alaska at LAS and subject to their check in /Baggage transfer policy.

On 2 separate tickets ( esp going long haul) I would be a little uncomfortable with this schedule ( if everything runs ok it should be possible) but would consider seeing if I could get on an earlier LAS-SFO flight to give more headroom

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm more comfortable with this itinerary than TBS. Even a full hour delay on your SFO flight and you'd still be okay.

As he noted, you will collect your bags in Terminal 2. From there, take the elevator up to the top level for AirTrain. Take the red line train two stops to International-A. The BA check-in lines will be close to the base of the escalator down from the AirTrain.

Good luck and safe travels.

Note: Alaska has a few domestic flights into/out of International-A. I doubt your LAS flight will go to International-A, but it's possible. That would be a happy surprise for you in the unlikely event, as that's your BA departure terminal.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
I'm more comfortable with this itinerary than TBS. Even a full hour delay on your SFO flight and you'd still be okay.

As he noted, you will collect your bags in Terminal 2. From there, take the elevator up to the top level for AirTrain. Take the red line train two stops to International-A. The BA check-in lines will be close to the base of the escalator down from the AirTrain.

Good luck and safe travels.

Note: Alaska has a few domestic flights into/out of International-A. I doubt your LAS flight will go to International-A, but it's possible. That would be a happy surprise for you in the unlikely event, as that's your BA departure terminal.
Yes, that can happen. Last week I had a rare scheduled A gate (domestic) departure. Then, about 4 hours before the flight, it changed to a different terminal (at a different airport)! This is really unlikely for LAS/SFO, because I think they're all on Airbus, which don't ever divert to OAK.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This is really unlikely for LAS/SFO, because I think they're all on Airbus, which don't ever divert to OAK.
Is there something about Airbus and OAK?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
Is there something about Airbus and OAK?
I think AS ground staff isn't trained on them there, so they never (as far as the advance scheduled ones) divert there.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I think AS ground staff isn't trained on them there, so they never (as far as the advance scheduled ones) divert there.
Given the switch to Airbus on N/S routes and shift to Boeing on transcon, it's a little surprising they haven't introduced the Airbii to OAK yet. I guess it's a small enough station it's more trouble than it's worth to introduce a new type, so they'll just stick with 737/E175?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These two routings are simply a matter of OP's risk tolerance. It is, of course, enough time presuming that his AS flight is approximately on time. But, as it stands, he has 1:40 to get himself and his bag to BA from the AS baggage claim. If we allow 30 minutes for the bags, that leaves 1:10 to make it with bag from AS to the front of the BA check in line.

Any delay of 30+ minutes means likely missing the cut off and perhaps having to purchase a new BA ticket.

I would take the earlier flight. There are six carriers with nonstop flights between LAS and LAX and tickets run in the $80-90 range. Even if OP abandons what he has, that is less painful than a nw TATL at walk-up prices. And that presumes that AS won't change the flight anyway.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
These two routings are simply a matter of OP's risk tolerance. It is, of course, enough time presuming that his AS flight is approximately on time. But, as it stands, he has 1:40 to get himself and his bag to BA from the AS baggage claim. If we allow 30 minutes for the bags, that leaves 1:10 to make it with bag from AS to the front of the BA check in line.

Any delay of 30+ minutes means likely missing the cut off and perhaps having to purchase a new BA ticket.

I would take the earlier flight. There are six carriers with nonstop flights between LAS and LAX and tickets run in the $80-90 range. Even if OP abandons what he has, that is less painful than a nw TATL at walk-up prices. And that presumes that AS won't change the flight anyway.
Huh? OP said scheduled arrival is 16:50 and departure is 19:35. That's 2:45. Give it 30 min. for baggage retrieval and it's 2:15 from bag in hand to heading off to BA check-in (two stops on AirTrain). OP could have a full hour delay and still make it to the BA bag check before cut-off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.