Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for hotels in San Francisco

Suggestions for hotels in San Francisco

Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Somewhat cheaper than your price, but I've really enjoyed staying at The Grove Inn, well out of tourist-central. It's at the junction of Grove and Fillmore, one block from Alamo Square and just a few blocks to the restaurants of Hayes Valley, Haight and the Divisadero. Plus the breakfasts feature bread from Janes which is always good news.
Also in that area is the Inn At the Opera, Frenchy boutique hotel with small rooms but excellent service and great value.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Thank you to those people who have taken the time to offer a suggestion for a hotel. I'm looking at all of them. :-)
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Thank you to those people who have taken the time to offer a suggestion for a hotel. I'm looking at all of them. :-)
Our pleasure! I like your free-wheeling approach. I hope you stay somewhere unusual, and you report back.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
There are undoubtedly plenty of hotels that will satisfy your simple requirements, so I almost wonder why you need recommendations at all.
there might be a quirky hotel out there that someone has info on.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
there might be a quirky hotel out there that someone has info on.
Of course, but the "simple" requirements did not include quirkiness.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rickg523
Hotel Kabuki in JapanTown.
Totally agree. It was recently renovated, tons of shops, coffee places and restaurants within walking distance.
Really nice downhill walk to the waterfront via Fillmore
Just make sure to ask about the a/c; they have been turning it off when it is cooler in SF and it is fairly noisy if you open the windows.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I will not apologize because my requirements are too 'simple' for someone else. We all travel differently. I appreciate the specific hotel recommendations here. I'm looking at all of the hotels. I like hearing about hotels that others have tried that they liked. Thank you everyone who made a suggestion.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:09 am

Don't stay at Fairmont San Francisco, especially the Main building. No A/C, no hot water. After one night stay, I checked out and moved over to Intercontinental Mark Hopkin across the road. Much much better. Simple room, reasonable size, clean, working AC and hot water.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I will not apologize because my requirements are too 'simple' for someone else. We all travel differently. I appreciate the specific hotel recommendations here. I'm looking at all of the hotels. I like hearing about hotels that others have tried that they liked. Thank you everyone who made a suggestion.
No one (least of all me) was suggesting that you "apologize because [your] requirements are too 'simple' for someone else." Rather, it seemed that there are really some expectations or requirements that you didn't include, but are somehow implied.

In other words, you might be looking for hotels that meet your basic requirements, but also offer some other, non run-of-the-mill features, or an unusual location, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by catcher1
Also in that area is the Inn At the Opera, Frenchy boutique hotel with small rooms but excellent service and great value.
my friend works at the opera and said it’s nice - it’s in hayes valley, which is a great area with easy bus routes
great nearby dining options... but I’ve never stayed at a hotel in sf
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:53 pm

The Phoenix Seriously, if you are ever walking around the city stop in here and check this place out. Its amazing.

Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:00 am

Ocean Park Motel of San Francisco

Graced with nautical porthole windows and balcony handrails, the Ocean Park was honored by the Art Deco Society in 1987 for preservation of this Streamline Moderne beauty.

"This was the first motel in San Francisco, opening 20 April 1937, in the Sunset District in time for the fiesta opening of the Golden Gate Bridge! The architect was Conrad Kett, and a nautical theme is very evident."

The Sophisticate, Magazine of the Art Deco
Society of California, by Nina Pillar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.