Day Tour Recommendation

Old Aug 20, 18, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Day Tour Recommendation

FT family. We are visiting San Fran in the fall. Any recommendation on Tour company to Napa/Sonoma. Max per person is 200.00 P/P including tasting fee. So far Great Pacific is an option. TIA

Old Aug 21, 18, 8:48 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
How many people?

Originally Posted by newtothis1 View Post
FT family. We are visiting San Fran in the fall. Any recommendation on Tour company to Napa/Sonoma. Max per person is 200.00 P/P including tasting fee. So far Great Pacific is an option. TIA
And how high-end do you want to go? A totally personalized tour will run somewhere between 2 to $300 per person.
honestly I think you’ll also find that folks that tour the wine country here who are visiting tend to go on their own with recommendations for specific wineries to visit. I’ve only done really cheap and group tours just for the fun of it and I honestly can’t recommend any of those.

Last edited by squeakr; Aug 21, 18 at 8:19 pm
Old Aug 21, 18, 11:46 am
Original Poster

It’s the driving in traffic that horrifies me. Plan on 200 per person. Thanks and regards.
Old Aug 21, 18, 8:21 pm

I have no personal knowledge of this company

I have no personal knowledge of this company but I know theyíre similar companies in Canada that will drive your own vehicle for you after a night on the town. If youíre renting a car for other reasons this might be one way to go.

Hire a Designated Driver for a Napa or Sonoma wine tour
Old Aug 26, 18, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
A good question to ask is how into wine are you? As in do you have specific wineries you'd like to visit? Or a specific region you'd want to be in? If you have specific wineries you'd like to visit, while not wanting to drive yourselves, I would recommend renting a private car or bus depending on party size. However, if you are more open minded and do not have any specific wineries you'd like to visit I would do the Great Pacific tour. Value wise the Great Pacific Tour is a great value as its including your tasting fees which normally range from $25-$50 P/P at each winery, plus transportation to and from SF can also be expensive.
Old Aug 31, 18, 4:08 pm

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
You may also want to just drink wine at wine bars in SF or enjoy some of the distilleries and breweries in SF. It'll save you a lot of time and traffic which will be worth more than $200, which you can then spend on drinks!
Old Sep 3, 18, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @freeagent and @gaobest. Great Pacific is still a contender. Also, gotta do the wine country touristy thing to satisfy wish list. ��
Old Sep 8, 18, 8:36 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Is there an option to stay the night in Napa / Sonoma? That could make the visit more fun. Otherwise just drive back to sf after dinner and there will be less traffic. I'm also trying to factor in if there will be a designated driver because of alcohol / driving rules. Finally there is traffic when driving in sf and it's not as bad as it can be in other larger cities.
Old Sep 17, 18, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

@gaobest. Staying in Napa is not an option on this trip. We prefer to just do a tour instead of driving.
Old Sep 18, 18, 12:35 pm

We are going end of Oct and are looking the Great Pacific Tour as well. It is recommended by the hotel concierge . They have two wine tours. We are thinking the premium one since it must be over 21 year old
Would you share your experience if you do join it
Old Sep 18, 18, 10:05 pm

I donít know this particular tour operator

I donít know this particular tour operator- They use a minivan so I think that would be a better experience than some of the larger tour buses. However their premium wine tour goes to Robert Mondavi which I would not consider a premium wine tour Unless you really are tasting choices from their reserve bottlings.
Old Oct 29, 18, 12:11 pm

Joined the Premium Wine tour. The tour is mainly to Robert Mondavi. Our tour was 8 people in total. When we arrived Mondavi, we just joined their Signature Tour and Tasting with other 7 walk in people from the winery. We then went to LE winery, a pretty small one.
Overall experience is good. Worth the $140pp and so glad that we did not drive. If I go again, I will just hire a limo and pick our own winery. This is strictly a tour but not much tasting.

We also joined their half day city tour. Pretty good as well.

Search this Thread