The Proper From $1364
St. Francis From $1077
Park Central From $1038
Le Meridien From $929
Sheraton Fishermans Wharf From $979
Four Points Emeryville From $477
Westin SFO From $555
Aloft SFO From $537

And hurry, they will all fill up (and go up).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Dreamforce is projected to "sell out" this year, which means 100k+ people.
Holy smokes. I had no idea SF could support a convention that large.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Doesn't Dreamforce build a temporary convention center on Howard St by Moscone, as well as have the big boat and other spaces for the event? Plus there's probably a lot of savvy residents who rent out their homes (or rooms) during the event.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:42 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gaobest
Doesn't Dreamforce build a temporary convention center on Howard St by Moscone, as well as have the big boat and other spaces for the event? Plus there's probably a lot of savvy residents who rent out their homes (or rooms) during the event.
No boat this year as there were issues in the past with expectations (i.e. people thought it would be the full cruise ship experience and it was only sleeping rooms)

But yes, Howard will be closed off and all of Moscone (and most nearby hotel meeting rooms) will be used
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Holy smokes. I had no idea SF could support a convention that large.
It basically turns SoMa into Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Attendees seem to have a great time and the bars/restaurants love the windfalls. I wish the very rude traffic patrol that's hired for Dreamforce would lighten up, though. The only bad thing I can say about Dreamforce is that they put roid ragers in orange vests to scream "Go, Go, C'Mon!! Walk!!! Go!!!" at elderly pedestrians (yes I've seen this).
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
….
If you are traveling for leisure and have any flexibility, pick a different week.
This. And if it's part of a trip through California, maybe change the order in which you visit various places, if possible.

And, this topic seems to recur in threads. In past years alternatives to hotels have been suggested, such as Airbnb or hostels. (There are three AYH-affiliated hostels in San Francisco, and they cost considerably less than hotels, if you don't mind the relative lack of luxury and privacy.)
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
About a mile from Moscone Center. So yes, it's walkable, but it's not a great location in terms of the primary tourist sites. It would be a great location for attending the symphony, ballet or opera, but I believe all three have no performances in this part of late September.
Only because many/most performing arts organizations are "dark" on Monday nights (which September 24 is). Both SF Symphony and SF Opera (as well as SFJAZZ, various theater companies, etc.) do have performances in late September.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:37 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
If you are traveling for leisure and have any flexibility, pick a different week.
Although I suppose your could make the argument... if you are interested in technology at all, there are typically free Expo Only passes on offer... It can be really interesting to walk around for a few hours. In fact, years ago when I was on a job hunt, it was a great venue for finding growing young companies in the enterprise software space...
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:00 am

It may get "worse" when Moscone North and South is completed.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Only because many/most performing arts organizations are "dark" on Monday nights (which September 24 is). Both SF Symphony and SF Opera (as well as SFJAZZ, various theater companies, etc.) do have performances in late September.
One could also consider that any day or night @ 8th and Market is performance art, without any need to buy an admission. On the other hand, it is a great location if you want to walk to Zuni, or a number of other good places to eat, and is excellent (as far as SF) for public transit options.
scottpenderson likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
About a mile from Moscone Center. So yes, it's walkable, but it's not a great location in terms of the primary tourist sites. It would be a great location for attending the symphony, ballet or opera, but I believe all three have no performances in this part of late September.
Also a very convenient location for the mid-Market cluster of tech companies. Twitter, Uber, Square and so on.

As difficult as construction is in SF I'm not surprised this hasn't happened yet, but a mid-range business hotel in that location would sell out every weeknight. I am very tired of the walk from the Union Square hotels down to Civic Center every time I visit SF on business. BART's not much better and Uber/Lyft along that stretch of Market can be a cluster at times.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:16 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Also a very convenient location for the mid-Market cluster of tech companies. Twitter, Uber, Square and so on.

As difficult as construction is in SF I'm not surprised this hasn't happened yet, but a mid-range business hotel in that location would sell out every weeknight. I am very tired of the walk from the Union Square hotels down to Civic Center every time I visit SF on business. BART's not much better and Uber/Lyft along that stretch of Market can be a cluster at times.
Never fear, now we have electric scooters to get you around! Though I'm surprised too that there hasn't been more hotel construction given the frequency of these giant corporate events, and general tech business demand. One would think that we'd try to increase capacity in the city so that every hotel in the Bay Area region doesn't have to get booked up when a big conference or expo comes to town.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure there are more mid-Market St. hotels in the pipeline, but I just haven't kept up with the news. Living in SF, I rarely stay in SF hotels anyhow.

However, I believe that a Yotel at 1095 Market St. is opening soon (taking bookings for October 15, 2018). It has tiny but supposedly luxurious, well-equipped rooms and interesting common spaces and "foodie" food. Rates are not cheap at all.

Another hotel that may be on the way is 950-974 Market St. There is a website here: Project ? 950-974 Market Being between 5th and 6th Sts. and Turk St., it really isn't in the Civic Center area, but close to Powell/Market and the Tenderloin.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:34 pm

Virgin opens mid-Nov; not mid-Market but near Moscone.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:17 pm

There is a Hampton Inn on Mission and 5th No one mentions it on here. Great roof deck, open to the public. The neighborhood is “special”, but its close to Moscone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.