FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Need FT expert advice: Driving with a RV around San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1920919-need-ft-expert-advice-driving-rv-around-san-francisco.html)

gottaluvNW Jul 20, 2018 8:33 am

Need FT expert advice: Driving with a RV around San Francisco

We are a family in California for the summer and planning to rent a RV / camper van for a week.
Would fellow FTers have recommendations of places we can park the camper van overnight in a nice scenic setting (ideally by the waterfront?)
We are not so much interested in being in a national park or other camping site - but more to give the little ones the experience of living out of an RV for a few days.

We plan to be in and around the San Francisco area and happy to drive +/- 100 miles to cover scenic landscapes, some good beaches, etc.

squeakr Jul 20, 2018 3:01 pm

So you’re looking for places to park the RV outside of San Francisco?

Outside of Walmart parking lot, there are no free parking spots or even paid parking spots that I know of in the bay area outside of official campgrounds an RV parks. So you may be limited to public lots that are not particularly scenic. There are a couple of RV Parks toward half Moon Bay that might be more what you’re looking for. But generally it’s against the law to park and sleep overnight in many areas.

dhuey Jul 20, 2018 10:03 pm

You don't see many RVs in San Francisco. The hills and scarcity of parking are obvious problems.

minhaoxue Jul 20, 2018 11:59 pm

There is actually an RV Park in the City of San Francisco. It is out at Candlestick Point, which is, IMO, a little sketchy. There is a Muni Bus line that goes by the area though.

http://sanfranciscorvpark.com

tom911 Jul 21, 2018 1:20 am

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW (Post 29994663)
We are not so much interested in being in a national park or other camping site - but more to give the little ones the experience of living out of an RV for a few days..

The Bay Area is a tough spot for an RV. I know the Walmarts within a few miles of me all prohibit overnight parking, and you really need to know your Bay Area geography if you just take your chances and park somewhere else, both in terms of safety and local ordinances that might prohibit overnight sleeping in an RV or even parking on the street. In terms of RV parks, besides the one mentioned, you're probably looking at places like Petaluma or Half Moon Bay and they're too far away to use as a base to tour San Francisco.

If I was doing an RV trip, I'd be looking at places like Lake Tahoe, Mount Lassen and Lake Shasta that are more friendly to RVs and have plenty of options for overnighting. If you're doing this trip anytime before late October, you should have decent weather. Maybe start the trip in San Francisco without the RV and pick it up when you leave? Where would you pick it up?

If San Francisco hotel prices were a consideration in thinking about an RV, there are some hotel options outside San Francisco that work with local transit, and many here could offer advice in that area.

txflyer77 Jul 22, 2018 2:59 pm

I'd just get out of the Bay and head north towards Mendocino if you're looking for waterfront. When I was a kid my family owned an RV and there were some nice oceanside RV parks in that area.

I'm not sure what the point of renting an RV is if you're not heading out to a camping area.

dhuey Jul 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77 (Post 30001641)
I'd just get out of the Bay and head north towards Mendocino if you're looking for waterfront. When I was a kid my family owned an RV and there were some nice oceanside RV parks in that area.

I'm not sure what the point of renting an RV is if you're not heading out to a camping area.

Good idea, but south also works now that they re-opened the Big Sur part of Hwy. 1.

gottaluvNW Aug 9, 2018 1:06 am

Does anyone know of a nice spot to park/overnight their RV in both Monterey and perhaps a bit further south as well for a quick two night weekend getaway?
It could be a private camping site or a state park... just as long as we can legally park overnight...