Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Airport Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG
San Francisco Airport Hotels?

I will be overnighting at SFO in early September. Can anyone recommend the best aiport hotel to stay at? I would like one close to the airport and with good access to BART and/or the city as I would like to sightsee for a few hours? I am an IHG member but not necessarily restricted to that chain.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I would say Staybridge Suites San Francisco Airport.

It is within walking distance of San Bruno BART Station. Also, it has a free airport shuttle. The best is it is a IHG property.

The only bad thing is the rate can be high.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I'm off to check the rates now. Funny thing is I stayed at the (LA) Staybridge previously and found it less comfortable/convenient than the HIE--which is supposedly a class below.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The selection pool is pretty poor. I recently stayed in the Hilton and it was pretty average. Unless you need to stay at the airport (I did, I had a 0515 departure ) I would stay in town.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:56 am
Original Poster

I did consider that. But I need to be back at the airport next morning. 9am. Not that early, but a lot less problematic if I am already close to the airport.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Cervantes
I did consider that. But I need to be back at the airport next morning. 9am. Not that early, but a lot less problematic if I am already close to the airport.
BART is reliable and would work any day except Sunday for your 9 am departure. Lots of lodging choices in the city within a short walk of a BART station.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Do you know if BART runs directly to the airport terminals? Also, about how long does it take to get to the airport from downtown using BART?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Do you know if BART runs directly to the airport terminals?
No. Technically speaking - BART Station is located at an extension from International Terminal G, which is not really considered as a part of the Terminal (Note - BART Station has its own AirTrain stop from ITG).

Also, about how long does it take to get to the airport from downtown using BART?
33 minutes from the station most away from SFO.

However, this time does not include up to 15 minutes of waiting time (Antioch–SFO/Millbrae trains run every 15 minutes). It does not also include any delays from the Transbay Tube, Daly City and San Bruno (track switching).
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
The Staybridge near the San Bruno station is a good suggestion but would also consider the Fairfield Inn near the Mibrae Bart station also.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by garykung
No. Technically speaking - BART Station is located at an extension from International Terminal G, which is not really considered as a part of the Terminal (Note - BART Station has its own AirTrain stop from ITG).
Technicalities aside, it's a 5-15 minute walk from BART to the security checkpoints of all terminals. The AirTrain (station is directly above BART station) would be a little faster to terminals 1 (Southwest, Delta) and 2 (American, Alaska). Walking at a normal pace is probably faster to terminal 3 (United).

Last edited by dhuey; Jun 10, 2018 at 10:55 am
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcgahat
The Staybridge near the San Bruno station is a good suggestion but would also consider the Fairfield Inn near the Mibrae Bart station also.
I won't say it is a bad suggestion. But it is not a good one. The Fairfield Inn has some location issues that makes Staybridge way better, like it is easier to walk from Staybridge to BART, rather than Fairfield to BART. Also - depending on the time, choosing Fairfield means a transfer at San Bruno BART will be required, but not Staybridge (Note - direct Millbrae-SFO only runs at non-peak hours).
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:53 pm

If our friend Cervantes goes just a few more stops, it’s a stay in the city. That’s a lot more interesting than an airport or suburban hotel, and not a great deal more expensive.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:00 pm

What about the Hampton Inn, Daly City? I have never stayed there, but seen it out of the window of the BART train. Looks like a possible middle ground sort of choice.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by xooz
What about the Hampton Inn, Daly City? I have never stayed there, but seen it out of the window of the BART train. Looks like a possible middle ground sort of choice.
I'd either stay by the airport or in the City. Unless I was saving countless buckets of money, or was visiting dead people in Colma, I wouldn't stay in DC. I'd be more inclined to stay by SFO for a morning flight, just so I know I'm there. Although most hotels aren't BART-convenient (except that the airport shuttles take you to SFO, where you can hop on BART, but for a substantial fare surcharge), I'd simply take an Uber Pool or similar to the closest non-SFO BART station, or see what the fare to SF is, which can sometimes be quite cheap.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xooz
What about the Hampton Inn, Daly City?
Hampton Inn is a 14-minute walk from Colma BART, the nearest BART Station, without airport shuttle.

Staybridge is a 7-minute walk from San Bruno BART with airport shuttle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.