Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO International Arrivals from Preclearance Airports

Old May 26, 18, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold

I have departed from SFO international terminals a lot, but have never arrived into SFO.

Here is my understanding. Kindly confirm or correct:

1) US airlines will park at domestic gates.
2) Non-US airlines will continue to use the international terminal gates for arrival, but all pax will deplane to the departure level of the international terminal since everyone would have been cleared already by the CBP at the inbound airport.
Old May 27, 18, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
2 is correct. No experience with 1, but I’ve arrived in the international terminal on an 772 ORD flight before.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 27, 18, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
1) seems right, but I'm not sure. I would expect that United preclearance flights would usually arrive in Terminal 3, but maybe International-G when the plane is heading back out on an intercontinental flight. I'm not sure if any of the other US airlines have preclearance flights arriving at SFO.
Old May 28, 18, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I believe the OP is correct. Note that you'll have a somewhat convoluted route to baggage claim if you arrive into the International terminal (A-side). It is pretty well signed, but they had to segregate a baggage carousel post-customs for domestic (and later, pre-clearance) flights, which wasn''t part of the original design.
Old May 29, 18, 3:31 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
United may come into an int'l gate or a domestic gate. Other airlines will come into whatever area they normally operate out of.
You will be released into the departure area, regardless of the airline or the terminal.

For all practical purposes a pre-clearance flight is a domestic flight.
Old May 29, 18, 6:37 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
this is the most accurate in my experience.

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
United may come into an int'l gate or a domestic gate. Other airlines will come into whatever area they normally operate out of.
You will be released into the departure area, regardless of the airline or the terminal.

For all practical purposes a pre-clearance flight is a domestic flight.
Old May 30, 18, 7:40 pm

Best I can tell, there are no American foreign flights arriving at SFO, one Delta flight from Rome, and a few on Alaska. But Rome and the Alaska origin cities do not have preclearance. So, I'm guessing that United is the only carrier that might have a preclearance flight come into a domestic terminal (T3 for United). Maybe I missed something.
Old Jun 3, 18, 9:43 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Best I can tell, there are no American foreign flights arriving at SFO, one Delta flight from Rome, and a few on Alaska. But Rome and the Alaska origin cities do not have preclearance. So, I'm guessing that United is the only carrier that might have a preclearance flight come into a domestic terminal (T3 for United). Maybe I missed something.
DL has no international flights ex-SFO.
Last I checked, Alaska was still a state within the US so no pre-clearance is needed. AS (Alaska Airlines) does serve PVR and SJD and these come into the International Terminal.

The only pre-clearance flights you have at SFO are by AC, UA and WS. UA is T3 and Int'l-G, the other two are Int'l-G.
Old Jun 3, 18, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
DL has no international flights ex-SFO.
Last I checked, Alaska was still a state within the US so no pre-clearance is needed. AS (Alaska Airlines) does serve PVR and SJD and these come into the International Terminal.

The only pre-clearance flights you have at SFO are by AC, UA and WS. UA is T3 and Int'l-G, the other two are Int'l-G.
AS used to serve YVR, and perhaps they still have a direct (not non-stop) flight number from a Canadi>n airport. I suspect the DL flight #s are also "direct."
Old Jun 3, 18, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K;29824321I suspect the DL flight [URL=https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=s
#s[/URL] are also "direct."
Ah, good call. I was looking for an AZ codeshare and not finding one Looks like DL65, FCO-ATL // ATL-SFO.
Old Jun 3, 18, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
AS used to serve YVR, and perhaps they still have a direct (not non-stop) flight number from a Canadi>n airport. I suspect the DL flight #s are also "direct."
Regardless of the current, relatively short-haul international flights into SFO of US carriers, I think it's reasonable to guess that going forward, those carriers will have preclearance flights arrive at their regular gates in terminals 1-3 (United is different). These flights are likely to be with single-aisle planes that can use all of the regular domestic gates at SFO.
Old Jun 10, 18, 6:31 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Air Lingus has a pre-cleared flight from Dublin. To get back to Dublin from SFO, however, you must change at Balboa Park.
Ethhad used to have one from Abu Dhabi. Believe it is now suspended.

Search this Thread