Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

what to do four days in San francisco

Old May 21, 18, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone

I'm coming to San Francisco for a conference for four days , then i extended my stay in the city for four days from 16-20 June.
I need your recommendations please on what to see in the city, the costs for me in transportation, should i but a clipper or cash ?
Also if i want to go to Los Angeles or Las Vegas, how far they are? is it worth it ?
Any other recommendation i will be very happy to hear from you
Many thanks.
Old May 21, 18, 8:50 am

I think there is more than enough to do in San Francisco (Oakland, Berkeley, Marin) to fill a month, as nice (or not) as those other places might be.

Things to Do and Places to Go - San Francisco
SF things to do
10 Things to Do in San Francisco Before You Die
Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread [merged threads]
Heading to San Francisco Sept 2 - 7 (for the first time). What to check out?
1st time trip...How much can I pack in?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1169692-first-sf-i-need-advice-what-do-1-5-days.html

Sunny side of the Bay:
Anything to do in Oakland??

Public Transit: Need SF Hotel & Public Transportation advice

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; May 21, 18 at 9:21 am
Old May 26, 18, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
You’ve asked questions that are almost impossible to answer without more information

You’ve asked questions that are almost impossible to answer without more information -
Will you have a car? Los Angeles is a 7 to 8 Hour drive. from San Francisco, Las Vegas is a bit longer. Do you want to spend two of the four days driving back-and-forth to some other location?
what are you interested in San Francisco? People tend to want to see the Golden Gate bridge, maybe some museums, the cable cars etc. – do you have any special interest?
Clipper is easier than cash but there’s also tourist card you can buy that are good for three or seven days from the first day that you start them.

https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/muni/fares
Old May 27, 18, 8:52 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
If you get a 3-day pass, try to make sure it includes cable car rides. They're so great!!
i live in SF and highly recommend walking in SF in June - if you can't walk up hills, just walk on flat streets or in areas with limited inclines:

ferry building / embarcadero (like a Quays) / fisherman's wharf - nice waterfront views
the mission / noe valley - mix of old-school San Francisco and gentrification
hayes valley
The marina (Union / chestnut street) - every city has their Rodeo Drives

no matter how young and strong you are, I suggest you avoid Civic Center, the Tenderloin, and Soma. Amidst the billion-dollar business hqs are a lot of unstable people and structures.
But no matter where you go, food and drink are going to be great.
Old May 27, 18, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Amidst the billion-dollar business hqs are a lot of unstable people and structures.
Unstable structures? Yes on unstable people, but I wouldn't go so far as to call Civil Center, Tenderloin and SOMA no-go zones, especially in the daytime.

Civic Center is, as its name suggests, the cultural and political center of San Francisco. City Hall is an especially beautiful building. I wouldn't put Civic Center on a must-see list for tourists, but I would still recommend it if you have a few days in town. Same goes for Yerba Buena Gardens/SF MOMA area in SOMA.
Old May 27, 18, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If you get a 3-day pass, try to make sure it includes cable car rides. They're so great!!
i live in SF and highly recommend walking in SF in June - if you can't walk up hills, just walk on flat streets or in areas with limited inclines:

ferry building / embarcadero (like a Quays) / fisherman's wharf - nice waterfront views
the mission / noe valley - mix of old-school San Francisco and gentrification
hayes valley
The marina (Union / chestnut street) - every city has their Rodeo Drives

no matter how young and strong you are, I suggest you avoid Civic Center, the Tenderloin, and Soma. Amidst the billion-dollar business hqs are a lot of unstable people and structures.
But no matter where you go, food and drink are going to be great.
If you avoid those areas, you're going to miss out on some of the best food and drink, not to mention much of the major entertainment (live theater, symphony, etc). While I never thought I'd see someone suggest the Mission is fine while avoiding SOMA, I now have.
Old May 28, 18, 7:20 pm

Live symphony / opera / ballet is part of Hayes Valley (with a view of City Hall) - and confirmed, I don't see value with civic / soma when there's only 4 days for a visit. I live in SF and go to Hayes / civic weekly as my friend works at opera and we often get our luncheon in civic / tenderloin, as it's a bit cheaper than Hayes valley. And I don't recommend civic center for a tourist. In fact I quit taking Bart to civic to walk to meet my friend because it's less enjoyable than driving in city traffic and then paying $3-6/hour to park at a meter. If OP had 10 days, then of course I'd endorse the wretchedly depressing civic center and tenderloin and the food halls at TWTR hq.

Sf has great food and drink everywhere including neighborhoods that aren't even in this thread. That's one great thing about SF - just way too many choices for an amazing meal all over the city.
Old May 28, 18, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Live symphony / opera / ballet is part of Hayes Valley (with a view of City Hall)
That is some serious revisionist geography. The 4 buildings west of Van Ness are part of what was once planned as the grandest Civic Center in the West. Hayes Valley starts at Franklin, pretty much where the old Central Freeway dumped you out by the backside of Opera Plaza, when Hayes Valley was also a dump and not too discernable from the rest of the Western Addition.
Old May 29, 18, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zanzon Shtayeh View Post
Hello everyone
..., the costs for me in transportation, should i but a clipper or cash ?
Note that if you plan on using BART, the new per-ride surcharge for paper tickets is not insignificant.
You can also buy MUNI visitor passports (for transit within SF, not including BART). https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/muni/fares

Even if you aren't planning on using much public transit, it is more convenient to get a Clipper card and load it up (and reload if necessary) - it is good on most transit agencies, including the ferries.
Old May 29, 18, 7:37 pm

Hayes Valley & Western Addition are pretty gentrified now! It'll be fun to see what OP does for their SF holiday.
Despite all the business elements of Soma / Moscone, there's a lot of blatant drug injection action during the day - I've walked or driven past it a lot in Yerba Buena and Metreon area. The only big bonuses of soma are the art museums.

btw F Market street cars are pretty fun!!

Search this Thread