Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Late arrival into SFO, driving out next morning...hotel suggestions?

Old Apr 28, 18, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others

I can't seem to find a general SFO hotel thread that isn't years old...

I'm arriving quite late into SFO (2345). The next morning I need to drive to Lake Tahoe, so I'm really only interested in a good night's sleep. I'm wondering whether to stay at the airport and rent a car in the morning, or rent a car at night and drive away from the airport area. The reason I ask is that 4* + airport hotels are over $350 that night.

I have a similar issue on the return, where my flight out is at 0515, but I guess I'll stick with an airport hotel that night.
Old Apr 28, 18, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I'm arriving later still at SFO in two weeks time and faced the same issue, except room rates are less than half that and I'm headed in the opposite direction the next morning.

My recommendation would be to pick up a car and get over the bridge as far as Berkeley that evening. This is because a) the last hotel shuttle will likely be at 00:30, so you might end up taking Uber to the hotel; b)I would find hanging around for a shuttle, or an Uber, at that time of night particularly annoying; and c) you will face the morning rush into SF to reach the Bay Bridge on the following morning. If you pick up a car and drive to Berkeley, the drive will likely be 20 minutes faster at midnight than at 7am, and you will have saved some 30+ minutes messing around with hotel shuttles.
Old Apr 28, 18, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's good advice, I think. Plans have actually shifted a bit so that I have a few days of rest before meetings, so I've decided to explore Yosemite (where I've never been). I think getting to the other side of the bay is probably a good idea to cut down on driving time the next morning.
Old Apr 28, 18, 11:22 am

Programs: AS 75K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The minute that I read the title, my first thought was how much better it would be to pick up the car on arrival and drive out of the SF Bay Area before the morning rush.

The only caveat is that you might be tired after a long flight and have to drive a new car in a foreign country during the middle of the night on unfamiliar roads. But if you can manage that, driving just half an hour towards Lake Tahoe will save you a considerable amount of money (on hotels) and time (avoiding traffic).
Old Apr 28, 18, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If the airport hotels are that high, there may be a large event going on in SF, so the inner Bay Area's hotels might all be high. I generally agree with lhrsfo's recommendation. I'd focus on Emeryville (right over the Bay Bridge, just before Berkeley) because Emeryville has a large number of rooms - a couple of Hyatt properties, a Four Points, a Courtyard, and a Hilton Garden Inn. Berkeley proper doesn't have much, and even less with an easy in/out to the freeway (which is what you want). There's a Holiday Inn Express on University Ave (freeway convenient) and a Doubletree at the Marina (isolated, but easy freeway access). I'd avoid Oakland primarily because you'll likely end up off the I-80 corridor, which is what you want. Once past Berkeley (if you decided to drive further after you arrive), you'll be in a hotel wasteland for quite a ways, save an occasional HI Express or lesser. Fairfield is likely the next place that you'd feel comfortable in - I think there's a HGI, and perhaps a Hampton and HI Express - that's approximately an hour drive from SFO at that hour.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 18, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
That's good advice, I think. Plans have actually shifted a bit so that I have a few days of rest before meetings, so I've decided to explore Yosemite (where I've never been). I think getting to the other side of the bay is probably a good idea to cut down on driving time the next morning.
As I was drafting my other post, you posted this. So in addition to what I previously mentioned, you wouldn't want to stay anywhere past Berkeley (Emeryville is still fine) and consider things out the 580 corridor - the next larger group of hotels will be in the Pleasanton/ Dublin area - Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Four Points, most of which have easy freeway access.
Old Apr 28, 18, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
The minute that I read the title, my first thought was how much better it would be to pick up the car on arrival and drive out of the SF Bay Area before the morning rush.

The only caveat is that you might be tired after a long flight and have to drive a new car in a foreign country during the middle of the night on unfamiliar roads. But if you can manage that, driving just half an hour towards Lake Tahoe will save you a considerable amount of money (on hotels) and time (avoiding traffic).
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
If the airport hotels are that high, there may be a large event going on in SF, so the inner Bay Area's hotels might all be high. I generally agree with lhrsfo's recommendation. I'd focus on Emeryville (right over the Bay Bridge, just before Berkeley) because Emeryville has a large number of rooms - a couple of Hyatt properties, a Four Points, a Courtyard, and a Hilton Garden Inn. Berkeley proper doesn't have much, and even less with an easy in/out to the freeway (which is what you want). There's a Holiday Inn Express on University Ave (freeway convenient) and a Doubletree at the Marina (isolated, but easy freeway access). I'd avoid Oakland primarily because you'll likely end up off the I-80 corridor, which is what you want. Once past Berkeley (if you decided to drive further after you arrive), you'll be in a hotel wasteland for quite a ways, save an occasional HI Express or lesser. Fairfield is likely the next place that you'd feel comfortable in - I think there's a HGI, and perhaps a Hampton and HI Express - that's approximately an hour drive from SFO at that hour.
I think you are both right. I'm going to get out of the SFO area (though Emeryville Hyatt Place still at $230!) that night. I just don't want to deal with traffic the next morning...

Whilst the intricacies of Bay Area traffic/roads evade me, I'm coming from our place in SW Florida (where we spend a fair bit of time...). I will be tired probably...
Old Apr 28, 18, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's a Hyatt Place just a block off of 580 in Dublin, and a Hyatt House that would be further away in Pleasanton.
Old Apr 28, 18, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just don't want to deal with traffic the next morning....
If you're not familiar with the traffic patterns along I80 there in Berkeley during morning commute, don't think I'd stay there unless you were planning to hit the road after 10am. Might be a bit of a challenge to get across multiple lanes of stop and go traffic to get to the correct lanes for 580 or 880 after you come onto the freeway at Powell Street, particularly if this is your first time doing it. If you can't make that maneuver pretty quickly, off to San Francisco you go.
Old Apr 28, 18, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you are both right. I'm going to get out of the SFO area (though Emeryville Hyatt Place still at $230!) that night. I just don't want to deal with traffic the next morning...

Whilst the intricacies of Bay Area traffic/roads evade me, I'm coming from our place in SW Florida (where we spend a fair bit of time...). I will be tired probably...
Go to Pleasanton. You'll be there in about 45 minutes once you're in the car. 101 South to the San Mateo Bridge (CA92 East). Over the bridge, 880N to 238 (a short connector) and then 580E. Easy peasy. It will also save you a lot of time the next morning. You will also likely save a lot of hotel $, not to mention easy in/out of the hotel.
Old Apr 28, 18, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
If you're not familiar with the traffic patterns along I80 there in Berkeley during morning commute, don't think I'd stay there unless you were planning to hit the road after 10am. Might be a bit of a challenge to get across multiple lanes of stop and go traffic to get to the correct lanes for 580 or 880 after you come onto the freeway at Powell Street, particularly if this is your first time doing it. If you can't make that maneuver pretty quickly, off to San Francisco you go.
No idea what you're talking about. It is as easy as pie - ok, a broken not tasty pie, as I haven't seen an accident there since yesterday at about 5:15 PM, when one car smashed another on the 80 to 580E connector ramp as my Ubermobile was trying to get past the mess.
Old Apr 28, 18, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you are off to Yosemite that day, then I'd drive as far as Walnut Creek and be mostly out of the morning commute traffic. IIRC, there are a fair number of motels off 580 around there. Late at night, it should take less time than in the morning commute. And yes, getting to 580 from 80/580 is a pain when there isn't rush hour traffic. I speak as a frequent traveler there, former resident of Marin and hater of CA traffic. I'd also recommend getting a reservation at a hotel ahead of time if you are traveling on the weekend. I was traveling to Yosemite last month and the cheap rooms from Marin to Modesto were mostly sold out on a Saturday night.
Old Apr 28, 18, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Think you're mixing up your freeways. 680 runs through Concord/Walnut Creek and is about 15-20 mins from the 580/680 split further south where Dublin/Pleasanton are located.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Apr 30, 18, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Go to Pleasanton. You'll be there in about 45 minutes once you're in the car. 101 South to the San Mateo Bridge (CA92 East). Over the bridge, 880N to 238 (a short connector) and then 580E. Easy peasy. It will also save you a lot of time the next morning. You will also likely save a lot of hotel $, not to mention easy in/out of the hotel.
I agree with Eastbay1K -- Pleasanton/Dublin lodging, right off of I-580. There should be no traffic getting there from SFO in the wee hours, the lodging will be substantially cheaper compared to SFO area, and the OP will have avoided the am rush (that can be really bad). The drive east to Yosemite (great idea, BTW), should be fine in the morning.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Apr 30, 18, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I think Iíve decided to stay at the Hyatt House in Pleasanton. The one point I should have added is that Iím arriving on a Friday, so Saturday traffic should hopefully be easier.
boxo likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: