Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Side trips from SFO? Big Sur and Highway 1?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL

I am arriving in SFO on a Monday late morning but have Monday and Tuesday free. Any opinions on driving to Big Sur? Possibly I could drive to Monterey and Carmel to stay Monday night. On Tuesday, drive to Big Sur slowly, make a U-turn due to mud slides, and head back to SFO. On the way back, optional stops in Santa Cruz depending if there is time left.

Any advice on driving to Big Sur? Should a lunch be packed because of lack of services around Big Sur?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Other possibilities are Napa Valley or somewhere north.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:38 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Any advice on driving to Big Sur? Should a lunch be packed because of lack of services around Big Sur?
I was there in late December. There are several restaurants open along the stretch of highway that is open. It's a beautiful drive.

And I never grow tired of the 17 mile drive on the Monterey Peninsula.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Any thoughts about the 17 Mile Drive versus Santa Cruz, assuming that there is only time to visit one of those places?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:36 am

Any thoughts about the 17 Mile Drive versus Santa Cruz, assuming that there is only time to visit one of those places?
Monterey can be a lot farther with traffic (although beach traffic in SC can also be bad). There's plenty to see around SC if you're time-constrained.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I had a day to kill during a long transit at SFO last year. Picked up a rental car and drove down Skyline Boulevard to Alice's Restaurant, then over to Pescadero for pie before heading back up the 1 and stopping for some wine.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29090297-post7.html
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I like parking a few miles west of downtown Santa Cruz and walking the cliffs to the boardwalk area and back. The 17 mile drive is nice, too. It depends on what kind of activity you're more in the mood for.

Per your earlier post, if you do drive down to Big Sur don't worry about packing a lunch-- unless you want to stop for a picnic lunch. There are plenty of places to eat 30 minutes away in the Monterey area before/after.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I had a day to kill during a long transit at SFO last year. Picked up a rental car and drove down Skyline Boulevard to Alice's Restaurant, then over to Pescadero for pie before heading back up the 1 and stopping for some wine.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29090297-post7.html
if you go to Duarte's in pescadero for pie, you may need to call for a reservation. They're popular! Last time we sat in the alcove room (3-4 tables) and the other tables were French-speakers! So fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.