Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Arriving in to SFO on an Int flight, meeting someone arriving on Domestic Flight

Arriving in to SFO on an Int flight, meeting someone arriving on Domestic Flight

Old Feb 18, 18, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold

Hi all.
Just in the process of planning my US Trip, will be looking at flying into SFO and then meeting someone arriving on a Domestic Flight.
Am I right in assuming once I clear Customs/Immigration , it's just a matter of transferring over to the appropriate Domestic Terminal , and meet outside of the security check area?

Last edited by Blackadder1402; Feb 18, 18 at 12:53 am
Old Feb 18, 18, 12:56 am

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
When you enter the US at SFO you'll go through immigration/customs then baggage claim then be dumped land-side (i.e. leave the secure area). You could then take the the AirTrain to go between terminals and meet them at the arrivals area of that terminal. Keep in mind that you could spend an hour or so between immigration queues and baggage claim.

On side note, if you want to meet the other person at the departure area of their terminal, per TSA rules you would need a boarding pass of a flight departing from SFO that day.

Hope that helps!

Safe Travels,

James
Blackadder1402 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 18, 10:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Another option is to have the other party come to the International Terminal and meet you in the international departure area, which has a food court, shops, seating and some cultural displays. Arrivals areas are not set up for comfort, but rather to channel you onto the street or departing transport.

If you are all going on to downtown San Francisco, etc. the north side of the international terminal is also where the BART light rail terminal is.

Which terminal they will arrive depends on which airline they will be flying. See here.
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Which terminal they will arrive depends on which airline they will be flying.
And if they're flying AA, Alaska or Virgin America, you could end up in either of two domestic terminals and come out different exits. There is a connecting hallway between T1 and T2, but if you're not familiar with the terminals you might walk right past it. I'd also recommend the international terminal - lots of seating there - just make sure you specify you'll meet at departures level and not arrivals level where there's nothing in terms of amenities.
Blackadder1402 and JDiver like this.
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Thanks all, they will be coming in on WN
Looks like the International dep area might be the way to go, cheers
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 24, 18, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we relocate this query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Feb 25, 18, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Blackadder1402 View Post
Thanks all, they will be coming in on WN
Looks like the International dep area might be the way to go, cheers
Southwest is in Terminal 1. Keep in mind that due to construction, you cannot walk landside directly between T1 and the International Terminal. You can take the AirTrain one stop (red line), or you can walk all the way around (T2, T3, International).

I agree with others that the landside area of International is the best place to wait and meet someone. It's quite large, though, so you would want to clarify with your friend whether you're meeting on the A-side or G-side (see JDiver's map, above). If your friend takes the train, they will be on the A-side; if they walk, they will be on the G-side.

Search this Thread