Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO Security Checkpoint A wait times late evening?

Old Feb 7, 18, 8:20 am
Original Poster

In April we'll be flying on KE out of SFO and had a couple questions...

Our flight was originally scheduled at 12:50am, but just got notice they moved it up to 12:10am. This is making things tight for us because we are literally leaving straight from our wedding to the airport for this flight. Trying to gauge how early we should be getting to the airport. Does anyone have any idea how security wait time are around 10-11pm for Terminal A?

We'll have a rental car to return, so as of right now plan is to get to the rental car return 2 hours before the flight leaves at 10:10pm... just worried this is cutting it way too close.

Also, I searched and couldn't find an answer... we're flying first class, does KE have priority lanes through security?

Last edited by kaskade916; Feb 7, 18 at 9:34 am
Old Feb 7, 18, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Can't speak to KE and priority lanes but 2 hours from the rental car drop off should be fine. International A is the second stop from the rental drop off and, travelling First, you won't have to wait long for check in.

But my principal concern is travelling overnight on a plane on your wedding night?
Old Feb 7, 18, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Yes, there is a priority lane at International-A and you will be entitled to use it. That might shave off a lot of time.

Any checked bags?
Old Feb 7, 18, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
But my principal concern is travelling overnight on a plane on your wedding night?
lol... yeah, for our plans this works out the best. We'll be able to sleep since it's in first... just not "sleep together". haha
Old Feb 7, 18, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Yes, there is a priority lane at International-A and you will be entitled to use it. That might shave off a lot of time.

Any checked bags?
One checked bag (bringing some gifts for her family in Vietnam with us), everything else will be carry on.
Old Feb 7, 18, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by kaskade916 View Post
One checked bag (bringing some gifts for her family in Vietnam with us), everything else will be carry on.
That works against you. Your time constraint is thus when KE stops checking bags. That might be a bit closer to departure time compared to coach baggage check-in since you're in F. Only KE can answer that Q.

If you get the bag checked in time, you won't have to worry about getting through security (priority lane) and the short walk to the gate in International-A.
Old Feb 7, 18, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
That works against you. Your time constraint is thus when KE stops checking bags. That might be a bit closer to departure time compared to coach baggage check-in since you're in F. Only KE can answer that Q.

If you get the bag checked in time, you won't have to worry about getting through security (priority lane) and the short walk to the gate in International-A.
The A gates are quite busy at that hour. While I've never left quite that late, I've left at about 11pm a few times. The priority security lane is not well-managed. The worst part is how long you are typically separated from your bags after you place them on the belt, and before you go through the nude-o-scope. While I've never waited 30 minutes, you can expect 15 to 20 before you're through the line and readjusted your belongings. I do think that if you've dropped off the car by 10pm (as in completely done with the receipt, etc) you should be ok.
Old Feb 7, 18, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
The A gates are quite busy at that hour. While I've never left quite that late, I've left at about 11pm a few times. The priority security lane is not well-managed. The worst part is how long you are typically separated from your bags after you place them on the belt, and before you go through the nude-o-scope. While I've never waited 30 minutes, you can expect 15 to 20 before you're through the line and readjusted your belongings. I do think that if you've dropped off the car by 10pm (as in completely done with the receipt, etc) you should be ok.
Wouldn't you think that the baggage check cutoff is the real constraint here? It seems extremely unlikely to me that the OP could check a bag on time in the KE F line, and still not get through security and to the gate on time.
Old Feb 7, 18, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't you think that the baggage check cutoff is the real constraint here? It seems extremely unlikely to me that the OP could check a bag on time in the KE F line, and still not get through security and to the gate on time.
I agree that you are correct, and that a KE agent is likely to assist an F pax through security if that becomes an issue. I am just giving a "head's up" for what my "A" pier premium security lines have been over the years (most of which have been on airlines w/o Precheck).
Old Feb 8, 18, 10:09 am
Original Poster

::Update::

So we ended up changing plans... We'll have a rental car mostly because our own car is really small and need to bring a bunch of decor to our wedding venue, so instead of dropping it off at SFO on our way out I changed it to drop off the morning before our wedding to OAK which is 10 min from our venue.

Then I booked a car service to pick us up at 9:30 sharp from our reception (time wise our original plan was to leave at 9:30 so this is perfect), Waze has travel time from our venue to SFO, at that time of night on a Saturday, being 32 minutes. So I figure the car service should get us to the terminal by 10:15pm at the latest. This should save us a solid 20-30 minutes over having to return a rental car so I feel much better about everything now.

Thanks for everyone's replies!
Old Feb 8, 18, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

::Update::

So we ended up changing plans... We'll have a rental car mostly because our own car is really small and need to bring a bunch of decor to our wedding venue, so instead of dropping it off at SFO on our way out I changed it to drop off the morning before our wedding to OAK which is 10 min from our venue.
So, after our assistance, if I see the lights on at the Oakland Coliseum on a non-game-evening, I'll know its your wedding, and I'm going to crash it!
Old Feb 8, 18, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

So, after our assistance, if I see the lights on at the Oakland Coliseum on a non-game-evening, I'll know its your wedding, and I'm going to crash it!
HA! Going to have to look a bit more up in the hills from there to spot our wedding. ;-)
Old Feb 9, 18, 4:21 pm

HA! Going to have to look a bit more up in the hills from there to spot our wedding. ;-)
Claremont?
Old Feb 9, 18, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Claremont?
10 minutes from the venue?
Old Feb 9, 18, 6:15 pm

10 minutes from the venue?
Oh, yes. Must be something straight up 98th Avenue if it's in the hills and 10 min. from OAK. Actually, I don't think you can get from OAK to the hills in 10 minutes even with no traffic.

Search this Thread