Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SFO star alliance lounge remodel

Old Jan 17, 18, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

What is the lounge situation like in the international terminal come Feb 2018? I am doing SFO-HKG SQ F on an award flight. I hear lounges suck at SFO except for the Centurion lounge. Unfortunately, I am not an AMEX plat/cent holder. I do have PP if that makes a difference. Will I be able to guest anyone into the F lounge if there is one pending remodeling?

I wonder if they are going to mirror something like the Star Alliance Lounge in LAX.
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sigma6 View Post
What is the lounge situation like in the international terminal come Feb 2018?
Nothing new.

Will I be able to guest anyone into the F lounge if there is one pending remodeling?
SQ SKL SFO is known for strict access. So assume no unless the "anyone" is traveling on SQ as well.

I wonder if they are going to mirror something like the Star Alliance Lounge in LAX.
The way I see it - *A will only consider a lounge when the airport has significant *A partners' presence but without any particular partners dominating the airport (i.e. as a hub).

In SFO, UA dominates the airport. So it is a definite no.
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:48 pm

Programs: CA Gold/ UA 1K.. Marriott/SPG Platinum
They are currently remodeling the UA lounge in the G-International Terminal into a Polaris UA Lounge ( no timeline for opening). The old UA F Lounge in the G-International Terminal is open to J/F passengers only flying on a *A flight. I was in it a couple of weeks ago on a NZ flight that left at 2000 hrs. It was crowded and the food options were limited. Nothing that great.

Your SQ flight leaves around midnight so you will probably see BR, UA and the tail end of LH to MUC. Unless you are holding a *A Gold and above, you won't be able to guest anyone. Not sure if F paxs can bring in a guest based on traveling in F.
Old Jan 18, 18, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Seems like the OP should be able to bring one guest into the Singapore lounge. I like that one. It's a bit small, but it has decent food and beverage offerings.
International First Class Customers

International First Class Customers are entitled to access member airline lounges. Some member airlines offer exclusive lounges for customers travelling in International First Class. Eligible International First Class customers also have access to all other member airline lounges too. You will need to show your boarding pass in International First Class on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest. Exceptions are: LH HON/First Class Lounges in FRA/MUC; LX HON/First Class Lounges in ZRH/GVA; OS HON/First Class Lounges in VIE; TG Spa Lounge in BKK (subject to change).
Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance (my emphasis)
Old Jan 18, 18, 10:22 am

Whoa -- did they close the Singapore lounge at SFO? It's not coming up in a search at Star Alliance. No listing at the Singapore site, either. They list the UA F/C lounge in the partner lounges, but nothing among the Sliver Kris lounges.

ETA: Yep, permanently closed. Singapore Airlines will permanently be closing their SFO Lounge as of October 1, 2017. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ounge-closing/
Old Jan 18, 18, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Since SQ and BR are joining in they should have had NH,LH and the rest to chip in for a star alliance lounge like at LAX
Old Jan 19, 18, 12:34 am

Programs: CA Gold/ UA 1K.. Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Whoa -- did they close the Singapore lounge at SFO? It's not coming up in a search at Star Alliance. No listing at the Singapore site, either. They list the UA F/C lounge in the partner lounges, but nothing among the Sliver Kris lounges.

ETA: Yep, permanently closed. Singapore Airlines will permanently be closing their SFO Lounge as of October 1, 2017. Singapore Airlines' SFO Lounge Is Closing On October 1, 2017 - One Mile at a Time
Yes, the SQ and BR lounges closed at SFO a few months back. This is to make room for the new United Polaris lounge under construction.
Old Jan 21, 18, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
SQ SKL SFO is known for strict access.
Yes, very strict - in fact they how have a large wall in front of of SKL entrance to stop everyone getting in. Worked out easier than enforcing the rules as to who could get in and out...

The ONLY lounges at SFO (in T3/Intl G) now are the United lounges and the Amex Centurion Lounge. The BR, SQ and the old International G United Clubs are all closed for renovation.

There are 3 United Clubs in terminal 3, which can be access following the normal UC access rules (*G except United *G on domestic trips, any international *A business/first).

There is an additional United lounge in the international terminal that was previously the UA International First Lounge. This is currently ONLY accessible by business/first class *A passengers (UA or otherwise). This lounge is frequently very crowded to the point of having a line outside, especially at peak times. You will NOT be allowed guest anyone into this lounge.

On an SQ F flight you will have access to any of the UC's in T3, plus the old IFL lounge in Intl G. The latter is the best option by far, but crowding could be an issue... There were reports at one stage that SQ were handing out vouchers for use elsewhere in the airport to avoid sending people to the lounge, but I'm not sure if they are still doing that.

More details at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...lounge-29.html
nnn likes this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 10:04 pm

Funny how that old United International First lounge is now very crowded. It used to have hardly anyone in a very large space.
Old Jan 23, 18, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Funny how that old United International First lounge is now very crowded. It used to have hardly anyone in a very large space.
What isn't funny is what the UA lounge situation is doing to the AX lounge ... no hard facts re: the correlation, but I had never seen someone eating, standing up next to his bag, in said lounge prior to the UA lounge closure / remodeling.
Old Jan 23, 18, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
What isn't funny is what the UA lounge situation is doing to the AX lounge ... no hard facts re: the correlation, but I had never seen someone eating, standing up next to his bag, in said lounge prior to the UA lounge closure / remodeling.
Yeah, let's hope the large Polaris Lounge helps alleviate that when it opens. BTW, anyone know what will become of the temporary UA F/C lounge in International-G after Polaris opens? It's a very nice space down there.
Old Jan 23, 18, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Yeah, let's hope the large Polaris Lounge helps alleviate that when it opens. BTW, anyone know what will become of the temporary UA F/C lounge in International-G after Polaris opens? It's a very nice space down there.
Depends which rumor you believe, but at least one of them is that it will become a United Club (with the other area being Polaris only, or possibly Polaris + UC)
Old Aug 22, 18, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
I am connecting between UA and SAS at SFO, do I have to reclear security to enter the Polaris lounge? or can I walk from my domestic UA flight and show my SK boarding pass to enter Polaris? Is the former United first class lounge (now UA Club) still self-serve wine/beer? I find it can take time to get a drink at Polaris, and I would rather be working.
Old Aug 22, 18, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I am connecting between UA and SAS at SFO, do I have to reclear security to enter the Polaris lounge? or can I walk from my domestic UA flight and show my SK boarding pass to enter Polaris? Is the former United first class lounge (now UA Club) still self-serve wine/beer? I find it can take time to get a drink at Polaris, and I would rather be working.
SK depart from International G, which is where the Polaris lounge is. There is a direct air-side connection between UA domestic (Terminal 3) and International G.

Presuming you're in SK business then you will have access to the Polaris lounge. I can't speak to the bar service at Polaris, but I can't see that it would be sufficiently slow to make the UC a good option over the Polaris Lounge...

Search this Thread