Search

Glory days are right now for SFO/OAK to BOS/NYC/DC in premium cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Glory days are right now for SFO/OAK to BOS/NYC/DC in premium cabins

Just booked one-ways in JetBlue Mint (SFO-BOS) and Virgin America First (EWR-SFO) for a trip in April. $998 for Virgin and $599 for JetBlue. Legacy carriers had similar pricing for both routes. I picked these flights because I think both Virgin F and Mint are better than the legacies. ~$1600 is quite a deal for such great products on what is roughly the longest route in the lower-48 -- only slightly shorter than east coast to London.

I've been flying these routes for 27 years. Never have we been so spoiled. The best domestic cabins at very reasonable prices. I'll take this any day over those supposed "glory days" of commercial aviation from the '50s-'70s (see photos and other memorabilia in the hallway of SFO Terminal 3-F, the current art display).
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Awesome! Let's not forget that one-ways used to cost almost as much as RT flights. Being able to book one-ways at the correct half-price of a flight is huge.
Enjoy your trip! I love VX F which I usually fly sfo/ord - I've not flown transcom since 2013, when I was still tied with ual.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
I love VX F which I usually fly sfo/ord - I've not flown transcom since 2013, when I was still tied with ual.
VX F was my favorite domestic cabin...until JetBlue Mint. Try it sometime. It's amazing. If you get one of the stand-alone seats in rows 2 or 4, it's as though you have your own private suite.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:26 am

Definitely glory days now and for the immediate future on transcons from SFO, but transcon glory days for OAK was likely early 00s. Multiple AA, B6, CO nonstops to NYC. Now it's one B6 red eye and WN to EWR.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Definitely glory days now and for the immediate future on transcons from SFO, but transcon glory days for OAK was likely early 00s. Multiple AA, B6, CO nonstops to NYC. Now it's one B6 red eye and WN to EWR.
Thanks -- I didn't realize transcon service had scaled back so much from OAK. I should have said SFO only. Nice to see OAK get significant service to Europe, but that's another topic.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
Thanks -- I didn't realize transcon service had scaled back so much from OAK. I should have said SFO only. Nice to see OAK get significant service to Europe, but that's another topic.
Not much transcon from OAK, and even on B6, there's no Mint.

I just booked a OW SFO/JFK on DL for about $560, and the return on AS (VX plane) for later this year back from EWR. We'll see what AS has done by then to the VX service. (I had a bit of travel credit, bringing the return down to the $671.) The others were a nearing $1K for my travel date. If their prices come down, I'll refund my AS to the travel bank and fly B6 or DL. My DL RT for late this month was $1316.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Independent
That is pretty much the going starting rate for B6 and VX. Almost booked Mint but would have only gotten a seat in the double row, and those are only 20 1/2 in wide, so tighter than regular domestic first.

If I had booked earlier could have gotten the same price on AA through PHL on the 330. As is it is $720 o/w and that is booking one week out.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:29 pm

SFO-BOS lie flat RT through summer mostly in the $1100 ballpark on DL, B6, UA. AS gonna get killed trying to charge the same.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

SFO-BOS lie flat RT through summer mostly in the $1100 ballpark on DL, B6, UA. AS gonna get killed trying to charge the same.
Delta and United are now lie flat on SFO-BOS? I didn’t even realize Delta has that route nonstop.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey

Delta and United are now lie flat on SFO-BOS? I didn’t even realize Delta has that route nonstop.
Delta launches BOS-SFO route with Delta One cabin, enhanced amenities | Delta News Hub
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/uni...-flat-bos-sfo/

There is a glut of premium service on this route. Great time for consumers.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
BOS to PEK via SFO r/t for $2k and lie flat all the way
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:58 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Definitely true at SFO! Done the B6 red eye OAK-JFK (extra legroom seats were nice, but they don't fly mint service on the route). B6 also has a seasonal OAK-BOS, though without Mint. And WN has transcons to BWI, and restarts nonstop EWR service this spring. Though would love to see more transcon options out of OAK on other carriers, or with a premium option.

Though I've flown DL's SFO-BOS - even in coach, it was a pleasant experience, with the bonus of a complimentary meal (technically more of a large snack)!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:46 am

Agreed!

Aside from LAS, SFO --> JFKs is my most frequent domestic route, and have booked some $598 Mints! The single isolated seats are the best deal going, and no reason to fly anyone else. Use to fly AA F, but Mint offers the same comfort and privacy. Will fly B6 exclusively for the JFK route.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Agreed!

Aside from LAS, SFO --> JFKs is my most frequent domestic route, and have booked some $598 Mints!
Yes, as you can see above, same $598 for me on SFO-BOS, which is a steal. No lounge access, but I can use Priority Pass for the Air France Lounge at SFO.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
trying to find fares on google flights but they only show AS. Argh. I need 3 tix each way
ok my error was looking for F. The others are shown in C search!

Last edited by gaobest; Jan 15, 2018 at 11:17 pm Reason: Better search

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.