Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Transit fare in San Francisco?

Old Nov 25, 17, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

So I'm going to be in San Francisco for 3 days. I'll be flying into SFO and then I'm heading immediately to my hotel room. I'm just wondering if San Francisco's public transportation have a three day unlimited pass to ride BART, trains, and buses? If not, I'm assuming I'll need to have cash on hand especially for the buses?
Old Nov 25, 17, 9:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Cable Car Tickets and Visitor Day Passes

A Visitor Passport can be purchased for 1, 3, or 7 consecutive days of unlimited rides on Muni, Muni Metro, historic streetcars, and cable cars.

<snip>

Muni Passports are good on Muni only. They are not valid on BART, other transit systems, tour buses, or for transportation to or from San Francisco International Airport (SFO).
San Francisco Bay Area Transit Fares
Old Nov 25, 17, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I'm assuming you would recommend anyone to get the 3 day visitor pass and I should just pay for BART to and from SFO?
Old Nov 26, 17, 12:52 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Muni has a 3 day pass. It does not include BART. I don't think there is any such thing as a BART pass. It is more of a commuter railroad, and you pay by distance, similar to LIRR or Metra. I would recommend you get the 3 day pass, which gives you access to Muni Metro, buses and cable cars, and then pay for the BART ride to and from the airport separately.
Old Nov 26, 17, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
Muni has a 3 day pass. It does not include BART. I don't think there is any such thing as a BART pass. It is more of a commuter railroad, and you pay by distance, similar to LIRR or Metra. I would recommend you get the 3 day pass, which gives you access to Muni Metro, buses and cable cars, and then pay for the BART ride to and from the airport separately.
Thank you. In general, am I better off paying for a 3 day pass or just pay on a per trip basis? In some cities, when I buy a ticket, it's valid for 90 minutes. I would prefer not having to carry cash on me for bus rides so that's something to consider when buying a pass and it's just 3 days. 6 years ago when I was in SFO, I don't remember any of the buses accepting anything other than cash.
Old Nov 26, 17, 2:11 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

A Muni train or bus fare is $2.75 and a cable car is $7, valid for 90 minutes. 3-day pass is $32. You can do the math, but my feeling is that the pass will be cheaper if you are relying on public transit for all 3 days.

If you want to pay per trip, you can get a Clipper card and load money on it. That way you don't have to carry cash. I think the card costs $5 and you get a 25 cent discount per fare.
Old Nov 26, 17, 9:28 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
There are no BART passes. You can pay by credit card.

If you're going to ride the cable cars, (they're $7/ride) it may be worth getting a multi-day pass.
If you're not, do it pay-per-ride. Download the MuniMobile app and use it to pay for your rides with a credit card. Show the phone if asked by a ticket inspector.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 17, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
A Muni train or bus fare is $2.75 and a cable car is $7, valid for 90 minutes. 3-day pass is $32. You can do the math, but my feeling is that the pass will be cheaper if you are relying on public transit for all 3 days.

If you want to pay per trip, you can get a Clipper card and load money on it. That way you don't have to carry cash. I think the card costs $5 and you get a 25 cent discount per fare.
In general, I think there's a big convenience value in a multiday transit pass, even if it doesn't save you any money. Pay the money, get the pass and put it out of your mind. Not having to use unfamiliar ticket machines more than once is nice. Also, looking confused at a transit fare machine is a good way to gain the attention of unsavory types, whether you're in San Francisco, Paris, New York, London, etc.
Old Nov 26, 17, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
In general, I think there's a big convenience value in a multiday transit pass, even if it doesn't save you any money. Pay the money, get the pass and put it out of your mind. Not having to use unfamiliar ticket machines more than once is nice. Also, looking confused at a transit fare machine is a good way to gain the attention of unsavory types, whether you're in San Francisco, Paris, New York, London, etc.
Excellent advice, and more important here than other cities where often there are friendly agents that can actually sell you tickets. BART and MUNI agents cannot sell you fares (except perhaps @ SFO) and will rarely leave the booth absent special circumstances.
Old Nov 26, 17, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
If cost is relatively no object, just buy a clipper card and load it with cash. You can buy one at the airport and it is good for cash value on all of the Bay Area's transit systems. It's $8+ each way from SFO to anywhere in SF and there's no pass that would make that cheaper, You also get a small discount on MUNI fare with a Clipper card (2.50 and not 2.75 per ride which allows transfers on MUNI for 90 min. )
Old Nov 26, 17, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
There are also discounted fares for seniors (you didn't tell us your age).

If you are going to revisit the area multiple times, getting the ClipperCard could be especially useful. You put a stored value on it, then can use at all (or nearly all) of the Bay Area's transit agencies, including, of course, Muni and BART. There are 22 transit agencies listed on the main page of www.ClipperCard.com (where you can also learn more about how to obtain and use the card, fares, etc.). Of course, if you put a specific pass on it (like a 3-day Muni pass), that pass is only good on that particular agency. But you can also have money (stored value) on the ClipperCard along with one or more multi-day passes.

In addition to my ClipperCard (I'm a local), I also have a MetroCard (NYC), TAP card (Los Angeles), and now even an Orca card (Seattle); all of these are reloadable.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 26, 17, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf View Post
There are also discounted fares for seniors (you didn't tell us your age).

If you are going to revisit the area multiple times, getting the ClipperCard could be especially useful. You put a stored value on it, then can use at all (or nearly all) of the Bay Area's transit agencies, including, of course, Muni and BART. There are 22 transit agencies listed on the main page of www.ClipperCard.com (where you can also learn more about how to obtain and use the card, fares, etc.). Of course, if you put a specific pass on it (like a 3-day Muni pass), that pass is only good on that particular agency. But you can also have money (stored value) on the ClipperCard along with one or more multi-day passes.

In addition to my ClipperCard (I'm a local), I also have a MetroCard (NYC), TAP card (Los Angeles), and now even an Orca card (Seattle); all of these are reloadable.
I thought about that, but I don't really go to SF all that often. The last time I was there was in 2011. I didn't even know Clipper Card existed at that time. I just used cash. Some of the cards expire. My MetroCard from NYC have an expiry date on it.
Old Nov 27, 17, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I thought about that, but I don't really go to SF all that often. The last time I was there was in 2011. I didn't even know Clipper Card existed at that time. I just used cash. Some of the cards expire. My MetroCard from NYC have an expiry date on it.
NYC MetroCards don't really expire on the printed expiration date, I discovered. You can still get your value from them within two years AFTER the expiration date. You can exchange for a new one, and the remaining value is transferred.

Further details:
http://web.mta.info/metrocard/problems.htm#expired

Has your MetroCard expired? Whether Pay-Per-Ride or Unlimited Ride, every MetroCard has an expiration date. The date is located at the upper left corner on the back of the card. The expiration date is usually about one year from the date of purchase.

If your Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard expires, you have two years from the expiration date to transfer any remaining money to a new card. Within the first year after expiration, bring your expired card to any subway station and ask the agent to make the transfer. After that time, the expired MetroCard must be sent to MetroCard customer claims. Ask the station agent for a postage-paid Business Reply Envelope.

MetroCard Customer Claims
130 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Note: I have been able to exchange an "expired" MetroCard just using a MetroCard ticket machine, without going to an agent.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 27, 17, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I'm just wondering if San Francisco's public transportation have a three day unlimited pass to ride BART, trains, and buses?
No.

If not, I'm assuming I'll need to have cash on hand especially for the buses?
As others mentioned, you can get a Clipper Card.

I don't think there is any such thing as a BART pass.
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
There are no BART passes.
It used to have one known as BART Plus. But it was discontinued in favor of the contactless payment. Also - it is more like a BART stored value card with Transit Passes.

I didn't even know Clipper Card existed at that time.
Clipper Card exists for quite long. However, it did go through a name change - Translink.

Also - its acceptance was quite disappointed until a few years ago.

Search this Thread