Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

lounge access in sfo with amex plat and virgin atlantic flight

Old Nov 14, 17, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

I am flying out of sfo on a virgin atlantic flight departing international terminal A - ticket indicates a delta code share. I have a amex plat card and priority pass card but no status on any airline. amex plat webite indicates that lounges available are 1. amex centurion terminal 3 2. air france/klm international terminal A 3. delta sky club terminal 1.
My questions are
1. can i get access to the air france/klm lounge on a virgin atlantic ticket? This is a priority pass lounge but the amex site has the statement: "Priority Pass and other lounge membership access may be restricted from 1100-1430 and 1900-2200 daily." flight departs at 8pm.
2. Will I have to go through security to get to any of the other two lounges? Will I have access to Delta sky club at all?

Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 17, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
The International A terminal is not connected to any other terminal airside so going to Centurion or the Sky Club would require clearing security again.

Although Virgin Atlantic code shares and is partners with Delta, it is not part of Sky Team, so I don't think you'd have access to the AF/KL lounge on that basis; you'd have to use PP to get in. If you were already inside, I don't know if they would kick you out at 7pm, but even if they did it wouldn't be that much longer until boarding for an 8pm flight?

The one time I've used the AF/KL lounge it was before a post-midnight CI departure (just for a change of pace from the CI lounge) and the agent did say something like, if we'd shown up earlier PP would have been restricted. She also scanned my PP in even though I had other means of access, shrug.
Old Nov 14, 17, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by noupgrades View Post
I am flying out of sfo on a virgin atlantic flight departing international terminal A - ticket indicates a delta code share. I have a amex plat card and priority pass card but no status on any airline. amex plat webite indicates that lounges available are 1. amex centurion terminal 3 2. air france/klm international terminal A 3. delta sky club terminal 1.
My questions are
1. can i get access to the air france/klm lounge on a virgin atlantic ticket? This is a priority pass lounge but the amex site has the statement: "Priority Pass and other lounge membership access may be restricted from 1100-1430 and 1900-2200 daily." flight departs at 8pm.
You will probably get into the AF lounge with your PP card, but they could turn you away for reasons you post above.

2. Will I have to go through security to get to any of the other two lounges? Will I have access to Delta sky club at all? Thanks.
Definitely need to go though an additional security if you want to visit the Amex Centurion Lounge in T3-F or the Delta Sky Lounge in T1-C. I'm not sure if your Delta codeshare ticket does the trick here in combination with your Amex Plat. My guess is yes. You know you can get into the Centurion Lounge, and that's a bit nicer as between the two.

I think you'll get into the AF lounge, and that's good enough. I'd stick with that rather than deal with extra security transitions.
Old Nov 14, 17, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Definitely need to go though an additional security if you want to visit the Amex Centurion Lounge in T3-F or the Delta Sky Lounge in T1-C. I'm not sure if your Delta codeshare ticket does the trick here in combination with your Amex Plat. My guess is yes. You know you can get into the Centurion Lounge, and that's a bit nicer as between the two.

I think you'll get into the AF lounge, and that's good enough. I'd stick with that rather than deal with extra security transitions.
Agreed. Further (and although I like the new DL lounge), it is the most inconvenient to your flight due to airport construction. You can't take what was a short walk from T1 to Int'l A at this time, now requiring the train or a walk around most of the entire airport loop.
Old Nov 14, 17, 10:20 pm

BTW, noupgrades, you'll do a good deed if you report back here on your experience after you do whatever you do. It would be a useful data point on FT.
Old Nov 15, 17, 11:20 am
Original Poster

BTW, noupgrades, you'll do a good deed if you report back here on your experience after you do whatever you do. It would be a useful data point on FT.
will do.
Old Nov 15, 17, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
We have the same issue - But I thought AMEX said the centurion lounge is available from the international terminal. Is that not correct?
Old Nov 15, 17, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
We have the same issue - But I thought AMEX said the centurion lounge is available from the international terminal. Is that not correct?
It's half correct. The Centurion Lounge is located in terminal 3 in the "F" gates area. E, F, and the G side of the international terminal are all connected post-security. However the A side is on its own.

Connecting in SFO

https://www.flysfo.com/maps
Old Nov 16, 17, 1:34 pm

As Zorak said, it's in T3-F. Still, it's right outside the airside hallway to International-G, across from gate 75. I think most of the I-G gates are closer to the lounge than the T3-E gates.
Old Nov 19, 17, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

will do.
Managed to get in the AF/KLM lounge. Had come in around 5:30pm on Sun - lounge was mostly empty. It filled up a bit later but not crowded at all. Adequate food and drinks.
Old Nov 21, 17, 1:17 pm

Managed to get in the AF/KLM lounge. Had come in around 5:30pm on Sun - lounge was mostly empty. It filled up a bit later but not crowded at all. Adequate food and drinks.
Thanks for the update. I'm 3-for-3 getting into the AF lounge with the Priority Pass card. Once it was getting crowded, but they still let me in.
Old Nov 21, 17, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks for the update. I'm 3-for-3 getting into the AF lounge with the Priority Pass card. Once it was getting crowded, but they still let me in.
I was once sent away with a "come back in x minutes" (I believe it was in about 30 minutes, after someone's flight departed.)
Old Nov 26, 17, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
As we wound up leaving from A gates we also used PP to go to the AF/KLM Lounge. \We really liked the baguette sandwiches - there was also soup and cookies altho we did not try either. Relatively quiet altho there were many people - no loud folks or unruly children.
Old Nov 28, 17, 1:37 pm

As we wound up leaving from A gates we also used PP to go to the AF/KLM Lounge. \We really liked the baguette sandwiches - there was also soup and cookies altho we did not try either. Relatively quiet altho there were many people - no loud folks or unruly children.
I also like the Air France lounge at SFO. Lots of natural light and views, and it's pretty spacious. Food is okay; bevs are little better than average.

Search this Thread