Reload this Page >

Massive Napa + Sonoma County Fires (update Oct 18 ) - Check before you travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
As you probably seen on the news wherever you are, there are massive wildfires affecting Napa, Sonoma, Solano and Mendocino counties in California. If you plan to travel to these areas over the next few weeks, please check with your airline, your hotel/air B&B lodging etc. to ensure that these areas are safe to enter and that they will be honoring your reservation. Many airlines are offering waivers if you rebook within a timeframe or flat out refunds.

Update Oct 18

Several fires are at or near containment. However the air-quality is still very poor so again, recheck your travel plans and ensure that your lodging is open and available.
As some have suggested, the far north bay (Healdsburg, Geyserville) is relatively unscathed but again, areas that are near to the fires have many closed highways and secondary roads. So triple check before you decide to travel to one of these other areas.

Once the fires are out these areas will need your support and help so do consider re-booking your vacation for a future date if you can.
Updates here:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/
http://calfire.ca.gov/communications/communications_StatewideFireSummary

Donate here:
https://www.redwoodcu.org/northbayfirerelief

Update October 23:

Happy to report that Air Quality in the greater San Francisco Bay Area has returned to normal (very clear now).
Print Wikipost

Massive Napa + Sonoma County Fires (update Oct 18 ) - Check before you travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
to the part I bolded.

So you just made a day trip, with no overnight?

Any ideas on hotel availability? I suspect that at least some of them are still full of rescue workers and displaced fire victims.

I could easily make a day trip from SF, but sometimes it's nice to have at least one overnight.

(I realize I can check the hotel websites, etc., but wondered if you had already done that.)
Just a day trip. School day today . It took about 70 minutes to get there and a similar time to get back home. (Dinner beverage was water, to permit a safe drive home.) I did see several rescue trucks driving southbound in the AM while driving northbound.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf

Any ideas on hotel availability? I suspect that at least some of them are still full of rescue workers and displaced fire victims.

I could easily make a day trip from SF, but sometimes it's nice to have at least one overnight.

(I realize I can check the hotel websites, etc., but wondered if you had already done that.)
Hotels are mostly full, even thought the out-of-town fireman have gone home now. But there are many lovely Inn's and Bed & Breakfasts that would love to have your business. I am local and we are trying to get back to some kind of "normal". Harvest and crush are still going on, so it is a good time to visit. Still some crazy weather though, leaves changing and 90 degree's out.

We would love to have you, even for one night!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.