Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Fran/Napa > To Vegas- Car or Plane?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
http://www.punchdownwine.com/

A very short BART ride from SF - right near 19th St. Oakland station. Well worth the visit. My favo(u)rite wine bar EVAR. Light to more substantial food available, too.

Also, consider http://www.barrelroomsf.com/ - right in the SF Financial District. Every few months they completely revamp the focus to another region on the world. Good food, too.
If you make it to Punchdown, down the street is Downtown Wine Merchants, run by friends of mine http://downtownwinemerchants.com/
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
If you make it to Punchdown, down the street is Downtown Wine Merchants, run by friends of mine http://downtownwinemerchants.com/
thanks. Will try to keep it in mind
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Another great Oakland spot (but not as transit-convenient) http://ordinairewine.com/
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
You might have heard this, but there have been massive fires in Sanoma, Napa, and Mendocino counties. Check to be sure the places you want to see are open. I've heard that a few wineries have burned down. Very sad.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k
If you are going to try to get to area 51, then I would suggest a visit to Death Valley around Furnice Creek area as well.

No doubt you are now revising your plans for staying in the wine region as well given the current conditions in the area.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Originally Posted by AAMillionaire
You might have heard this, but there have been massive fires in Sanoma, Napa, and Mendocino counties. Check to be sure the places you want to see are open. I've heard that a few wineries have burned down. Very sad.
Most everything is open and back to normal. Have a great time and enjoy your visit.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Most everything is open and back to normal. Have a great time and enjoy your visit.
Most everything. The big remaining closure is that you can't get between Santa Rosa and Sonoma on Highway 12, so the Valley of the Moon ride is out. Napa Valley Highway 29 is fine (still closures north of Calistoga), I'd imagine parts of the Silverado Trail is a mess, and everything along Highway 101 (Healdsburg, Geyserville, etc.) is ok -but you still can't get between northern Sonoma Co. and northern Napa Co. (Highway 128).

A light rain (first of the season) is falling this evening. Yay.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Just a thought.... The Ale'Inn is far from everything else you're looking to do and is utterly unworth visiting. It's a tiny, horribly run down tourist trap in the middle of nowhere.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
So far the wineries we have in mind, seem to be fine luckily, but we are keeping an eye on it.

As for getting to LV, is leaving out of Oakville really that much better/less risky?

Looking at the flights, they're 3-4hr flights because of stopping elsewhere and not being non-stop. A few actually stop in SFO, so wouldn't that defeat the purpose of leaving from SFO?

Is it really THAT risky to fly out of SFO?

Sorry, for got to add, is Sacramento an option instead of SFO?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
So far the wineries we have in mind, seem to be fine luckily, but we are keeping an eye on it.

As for getting to LV, is leaving out of Oakville really that much better/less risky?

Looking at the flights, they're 3-4hr flights because of stopping elsewhere and not being non-stop. A few actually stop in SFO, so wouldn't that defeat the purpose of leaving from SFO?

Is it really THAT risky to fly out of SFO?

Sorry, for got to add, is Sacramento an option instead of SFO?
OAK is less risky than SFO when there are weather-related flight delays, but I think the risk you'll face problems at SFO is tolerable. Sacramento (SMF) is definitely worth considering if you're going straight there from wine country. It's a slightly faster drive than going to OAK or SFO.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey
OAK is less risky than SFO when there are weather-related flight delays, but I think the risk you'll face problems at SFO is tolerable. Sacramento (SMF) is definitely worth considering if you're going straight there from wine country. It's a slightly faster drive than going to OAK or SFO.
Thanks.
I'll look into the flights then, but we need to drop off the car again in SF, so I was planning on staying near airport to make it easier to get there in the morning the next day. Something to consider I suppose.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:31 pm

Thanks.
I'll look into the flights then, but we need to drop off the car again in SF, so I was planning on staying near airport to make it easier to get there in the morning the next day. Something to consider I suppose.
Couldn't you do a one-way car rental from SF to the Sacramento airport?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia

It took me a few minutes to figure out what you meant by "leaving out of Oakville." You meant Oakland, of course. Oakville is a small region in Napa Valley wine country, which we were also discussing in this thread.

As far as Oakland Airport (OAK) if you're seeing nothing but connecting flights OAK-XXX-LAS you're probably only looking at the legacy airlines such as United and American. You need to consider Southwest for this trip, which may mean having to go directly to their website. They fly nonstop OAK/LAS (and SMF/LAS) several times per day.

And as for the rental car... as dhuey noted, definitely look at the costs of doing a one-way rental picking up at SFO and dropping off at OAK or SMF. You may well find minimal price increase over an SFO roundtrip.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It took me a few minutes to figure out what you meant by "leaving out of Oakville." You meant Oakland, of course. Oakville is a small region in Napa Valley wine country, which we were also discussing in this thread.

As far as Oakland Airport (OAK) if you're seeing nothing but connecting flights OAK-XXX-LAS you're probably only looking at the legacy airlines such as United and American. You need to consider Southwest for this trip, which may mean having to go directly to their website. They fly nonstop OAK/LAS (and SMF/LAS) several times per day.

And as for the rental car... as dhuey noted, definitely look at the costs of doing a one-way rental picking up at SFO and dropping off at OAK or SMF. You may well find minimal price increase over an SFO roundtrip.
Hehe, sorry.
There's a city near us here in Toronto called Oakville, so I think that's why I keep calling it that. I do mean Oakland though.

I can't really do a 1 way since the person I'm travelling with needs to be dropped off in SF since he's taking the train north to Portland and I need to drop him off due to his baggage. As easy as it would be to leave it in Sacramento, I can't really ditch him. lol

The plan has always more or less been to return the car back to SF and not really considered doing a 1 way rental. Well, not 1 way since finding out that driving to LV over Yosemite isn't really a good idea in Jan..., hence the change of plans.

How is Southwest? I hadn't look at them to be honest.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:02 am

How is Southwest? I hadn't look at them to be honest.
It's a bus in the sky. Open seating with boarding based mostly on when you check in for the flight. If you check in very close to 24 hours out, you'll get a window or aisle seat. No food service -- just snacks and drinks. Up to two checked bags for free, and no change fees (though the flight you switch to might be costlier). Friendly flight attendants.

With its frequent service from OAK-LAS, Southwest is probably your best choice. If you're already in S.F., though, for your drop-off, you might also choose United or Virgin America from SFO. Definitely get a nonstop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.