Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Port of Oakland announces runway construction at OAK

Old May 31, 17, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Looks like federal funding is coming through for the OAK runway project: http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/05/...grades-growth/

Keonnis Taylor, a spokeswoman for the airport, said in an email that the runway overlay is a “significant” undertaking for the airport that only happens about every 15 years. Airport staff have been preparing for the work for more than a year, and construction on the runway revamp is expected to start in September.
Hopefully it won't be quite as disruptive as the SFO project.
Old May 31, 17, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
Looks like federal funding is coming through for the OAK runway project: http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/05/...grades-growth/

Hopefully it won't be quite as disruptive as the SFO project.
And to think, these humble runways were 11/29 when they were last restored/improved. And yet they haven't moved.
Old Jun 20, 17, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Port Of Oakland announces FAA grant for runway work http://www.portofoakland.com/press-r...37m-faa-grant/

North Field should see a lot more action in the fall
Old Sep 11, 17, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Port Of Oakland announces FAA grant for runway work http://www.portofoakland.com/press-r...37m-faa-grant/

North Field should see a lot more action in the fall
Runway work starting today. Most landings on 28L/R, departures on temporary runway 29.
Old Sep 11, 17, 4:46 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
Runway work starting today. Most landings on 28L/R, departures on temporary runway 29.
Will be traveling through OAK in a week, looking forward to the experience of landing on North Field! (Hopefully the work doesn't cause too much disruption to flights)
Old Sep 11, 17, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold/GE
This is OAK, not SFO, correct?

You guys gave me a heart attack, I thought we were finished with construction at SFO for awhile!
Old Sep 11, 17, 10:58 pm

Flying OAK-ONT this weekend, back on Monday. Super excited about landing on the North Field.
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frankmu View Post
This is OAK, not SFO, correct?

You guys gave me a heart attack, I thought we were finished with construction at SFO for awhile!
Just piggybacking off the thread. Not disruptive enough to warrant its own thread but interesting enough to be worth noting.
Old Sep 18, 17, 6:39 pm

Landed on the Taxiway today and not the north field. I think i saw a DL land on the north field as I was walking out to my car.
Old Sep 25, 17, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Looks like 12/30 is back in action so the project must be complete. I got two north field landings and one taxiway departure out of it.
Old Sep 25, 17, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Just piggybacking off the thread. Not disruptive enough to warrant its own thread but interesting enough to be worth noting.
Turns out I did think it warranted its own thread but then forgot about it. Thanks for the move.
Old Sep 25, 17, 7:39 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
Last week, landed on a DL flight on North Field on 28L (pics attached, though I was over the wing so not the best pics). A bit surreal to see the terminal and old United hangar from the other side! When we landed, the pilot did a U-turn on the runway in an ERJ-190, and we did the long taxi to T1, passing by the hangar and the Southwest snack building.

From the terminal, it looked like some flights were landing on the main runway, so not every flight is landing on the other field. But from the BART I was also able to watch a Southwest 737 land on North Field, coming in over the golf course! (I bet there are some happy plane spotters out there)

Pics:

Last edited by ryw; Sep 25, 17 at 11:06 pm Reason: specifying 28L
Old Sep 25, 17, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Both of my north field landings were on 28L; for the first we backtaxiied down 28R and for the second we turned around on 28L and backtaxiied on that. Guess we had some space behind us and could save a few min from the long taxi that way.
Old Sep 26, 17, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Work complete: http://content.govdelivery.com/bulle...CAPOAK-1b9609b

Last edited by ucdtim17; Sep 26, 17 at 12:36 pm
Old Sep 26, 17, 12:22 pm

I landed on the taxiway again Saturday. Jealous of all that get to land on the north field. As I was driving out of the parking lot I saw a Southwest plane landing on the north fiels. I wonder if it matters what direction you are flying in from, I was coming in from the South.

Search this Thread