FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   SW dropping SFO-MKE, no more nonstop to Milwaukee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1862068-sw-dropping-sfo-mke-no-more-nonstop-milwaukee.html)

dhuey Aug 20, 17 9:31 am

SW dropping SFO-MKE, no more nonstop to Milwaukee

I was sad to see that Southwest appears to be dropping its daily nonstop service between SFO and Milwaukee in a few weeks. I've been flying this route to my hometown about twice a year since 1990.

The good old days were with Midwest Express (RIP). No service after they disappeared. Then AirTran ran it for a bit, and Southwest took over the route after the merger.

We're back to the bad old days. Anyone have a sense for the economics of this route, and whether another airline will give it a shot?

MSPeconomist Aug 20, 17 9:37 am

Do you really need MKE rather than either MSN or ORD? ORD in particular is quite competitive and should generally have good pricing. MSN is reputed to be elite heavy with consultants who fly every Monday and Thursday.

dhuey Aug 20, 17 10:30 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28713254)
Do you really need MKE rather than either MSN or ORD? ORD in particular is quite competitive and should generally have good pricing. MSN is reputed to be elite heavy with consultants who fly every Monday and Thursday.

If I fly to ORD, I might have two hours of driving to get to Milwaukee (I'm always going to the city of Milwaukee, a quick drive from MKE). Madison would be much better than ORD or MDW, but I really doubt it could support an SFO-MSN nonstop.

TrojanHorse Aug 22, 17 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 28713444)
If I fly to ORD, I might have two hours of driving to get to Milwaukee (I'm always going to the city of Milwaukee, a quick drive from MKE). Madison would be much better than ORD or MDW, but I really doubt it could support an SFO-MSN nonstop.

Isn't there a relatively cheap and non-stop bus service ORD - MKE?

Eastbay1K Aug 23, 17 9:48 am

The simple solution is for your MKE peeps to move to a city with nonstop service to/from SFO/OAK. They can hang photos of your favorite childhood spots. ;)

Maybe AS is taking a look as it would be the only NS player in the market. I wouldn't be too optimistic, however. I wonder what the daily Bay Area / MKE O/D stats are.

ucdtim17 Aug 23, 17 11:14 am

E175 for AS or UA could make it right? That or WN OAK-MKE seem like possibilities

worldwidedreamer Aug 23, 17 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28713254)
MSN is reputed to be elite heavy with consultants who fly every Monday and Thursday.

Back in the day, Northwest flew mainline nonstops from SFO to MKE, MSN and even IND. Surely a RJ could do the task...

Like others on this thread, I fly between SFO-MKE several times per year and have really liked this flight. For what it is worth the MKE-SFO flight was really poorly timed for people who did not live in MKE. I have personal reasons to visit Appleton + Wausau, and MKE is the closest major airport to either. Would not be surprised to see an AS or UA RJ replace the WN 737.

dhuey Aug 24, 17 10:09 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 28722540)
Isn't there a relatively cheap and non-stop bus service ORD - MKE?

I think so, but that bus faces the same traffic slowness in the Chicago area. The Amtrak is nice, but it leaves from downtown Chicago.

dhuey Aug 24, 17 10:14 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 28726813)
Would not be surprised to see an AS or UA RJ replace the WN 737.

Alaska is a good guess. My wife's cousin flies an RJ, SEA-MKE. The economics of an RJ are probably a better match for this market, which seems slightly too thin for a mainline flight. I'd gladly put up with less comfort in an RJ to keep nonstop service.

MSPeconomist Aug 24, 17 10:18 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 28726813)
Back in the day, Northwest flew mainline nonstops from SFO to MKE, MSN and even IND. Surely a RJ could do the task...

Like others on this thread, I fly between SFO-MKE several times per year and have really liked this flight. For what it is worth the MKE-SFO flight was really poorly timed for people who did not live in MKE. I have personal reasons to visit Appleton + Wausau, and MKE is the closest major airport to either. Would not be surprised to see an AS or UA RJ replace the WN 737.

For Appleton and Wausau, you could use the Green Bay airport. It's surprisingly nice and modern, although it's small so no lounges, etc.

worldwidedreamer Aug 25, 17 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28730663)
For Appleton and Wausau, you could use the Green Bay airport. It's surprisingly nice and modern, although it's small so no lounges, etc.

GRB actually has two SkyBox lounges offering snacks, but no adult beverages. Check-in agents offered me access after I showed my United Club (or maybe Admirals Club?) card.

While larger than CWA, both ATW + GRB will probably never see nonstop service to SFO. FWIW, the G4 ATW-LAS/PHX flights are surprisingly comfortable.

dhuey Aug 25, 17 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 28735745)
While larger than CWA, both ATW + GRB will probably never see nonstop service to SFO. FWIW, the G4 ATW-LAS/PHX flights are surprisingly comfortable.

The closest we get to an industrial connection is Madison (MSN) with biotechnology (also perhaps a minor academic connection between UW and Berkeley/UCSF/Standford. Still, I'm guessing it's too small for even an RJ nonstop.

Eastbay1K Aug 25, 17 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 28736128)
... UW and Berkeley/UCSF/Standford.

"May it please the court. Your honors, while I am qualified to argue before you today, I do have a public school degree and am unable to properly spell the name of that private school." ;)

dhuey Aug 25, 17 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 28736156)
"May it please the court. Your honors, while I am qualified to argue before you today, I do have a public school degree and am unable to properly spell the name of that private school." ;)

Two public school degrees, I'll have ewe know!

Eastbay1K Aug 25, 17 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 28736164)
Two public school degrees, I'll have ewe know!

Mee two. But both of mine are from the #1 dairy state, unlike yours. Now, back to your regularly scheduled "no more nonstops to the #2 dairy state" issue.