SFO BART Workers ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO BART Workers ...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Many variables there including time of day, airport traffice,Uber surge, etc.

Public transit sucks at Fisherman's Wharf.

Probably compromise would be to take public transit to airport (F Street Car from the Wharf to Embarcadero BART station), and, given 4 passengers, Uber back to Wharf.

Embarcadero to SFO is about 33 minutes I believe, but you can check on the BART website.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I take it that is the one way fare

I have to pick up my son at SFO mid-trip and I'll be leaving from a hotel near Fisherman's wharf?

So I will be going alone to SFO and coming back with my son

Is BART still the best way to do this RT or is Uber a better option

While I'm asking, going back to SFO there will be 2A 2K going back, same questions

Price wise?
time wise?

thanks
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Almost right

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Many variables there including time of day, airport traffice,Uber surge, etc.

Public transit sucks at Fisherman's Wharf.

Probably compromise would be to take public transit to airport (F Street Car from the Wharf to Embarcadero BART station), and, given 4 passengers, Uber back to Wharf.

Embarcadero to SFO is about 33 minutes I believe, but you can check on the BART website.

If you're going to pick up your son by yourself, the F car from fisherman's wharf to Embarcadero BART will work. That's a 2.75 fare. Then it's $8 or so from Embarcadero BART to the airport. Coming back would be $16 on BART , +2.75 ×2 for the F car back to the hotel. So almost $35.

If you're willing to do UberPool from to the airport and back, and there's no search, it would be about $15 one-way and maybe 20–25 is it coming back as you have two people. This is assuming no surge of course. But the pool searches are not as drastic as regular surgeons, you just have to be aware that you're going to be leaving yourself a good chunk of time to get there in a good chunk of time to get back.

As far as taking for people back to SFO from fisherman's wharf, Uber or Lyft is the way to go.to take part would be $32 in Bart, plus over $10 in MUNI fares, it is very comparable to an Uber or Lyft.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
For fetching your son from SFO, I'd take lyft or uber to airport. Depart car and find your child. If you have luggage, you can get it as well. Then summon a lyft or uber to return to your hotel.

For your 4-person ride back to SFO, I suggest the 6-person lyft or uber, where the car usually has a 3rd row.

I suggest lyft or uber because the drivers use optimized gps. You can also use your smart phone's gps and request a route change if you're unimpressed with your driver's route. Taxi drivers generally won't use Gps or accept a passenger's suggestion. I use a taxi going from SFO to my house but I live in the southern part of SF which is close to airport; you're going to and from the northern part of SF, which is 20-30 additional minutes.

You can also use google map to do a "test" run comparing distance & time for the journey to and from SFO. But as a fellow father traveling on vacation, I'll use public transport within a city but a vehicle for the airport transport. I NEVER use Bart or bus or light rail with regards to an airport, especially SFO.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
You can also use google map to do a "test" run comparing distance & time for the journey to and from SFO. But as a fellow father traveling on vacation, I'll use public transport within a city but a vehicle for the airport transport. I NEVER use Bart or bus or light rail with regards to an airport, especially SFO.
NEVER? Vehicle transit times (and cost) from Fisherman's Wharf to SFO can be wildly variable depending on the time of day. Public transit is much more reliable. BART at rush hour can be an unpleasant experience especially if you have bags but it's still better than sitting in traffic in a cab watching the meter tick up.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by squeakr
If you're using it to get to the airport or back, be aware it's an eight dollar and change per person.
Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it is convenient if you're near a station and it's much more predictable than the roads/freeways when there's heavy traffic.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
NEVER? Vehicle transit times (and cost) from Fisherman's Wharf to SFO can be wildly variable depending on the time of day. Public transit is much more reliable. BART at rush hour can be an unpleasant experience especially if you have bags but it's still better than sitting in traffic in a cab watching the meter tick up.
Visitor would have to catch bus or street car with luggage to get to Bart station and then transfer from one transportation system to another, both of which are unconnected and require separate payment. I believe steps and intermittently malfunctioning escalators will add to the challenge.

It's already normally busy but add luggage and it's more challenging compared to sitting in a lyft or uber with a pre-determined fare that won't change even if more traffic is added. Visitor can sit in a car that drives along the Embarcadero and then hits freeway for drop off at airline entrance. Just factor in adequate time and it'll be fine.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Visitor would have to catch bus or street car with luggage to get to Bart station and then transfer from one transportation system to another, both of which are unconnected and require separate payment. I believe steps and intermittently malfunctioning escalators will add to the challenge.

It's already normally busy but add luggage and it's more challenging compared to sitting in a lyft or uber with a pre-determined fare that won't change even if more traffic is added. Visitor can sit in a car that drives along the Embarcadero and then hits freeway for drop off at airline entrance. Just factor in adequate time and it'll be fine.
what is a ballpark figure that one might expect for Uber during evening rush hour from from the Fishermans Wharf area (SPG) to SFO?

thanks
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:44 pm

Really difficult to say

what is a ballpark figure that one might expect for Uber during evening rush hour from from the Fishermans Wharf area (SPG) to SFO?

thanks
Really difficult to say
There's a game, a special event, or just not enough drivers on the road, or it's a Thursday or Friday as opposed to a Tuesday or Wednesday…

I would estimate anywhere between $30-$70. Sometimes if there's a surge on Uber there isn't a surge on Lyft and vice versa, so if one has a surge you can try the other.

If you want to book something in advance up you can book execucar (the car service from SuperShuttle) has rates anywhere between 65 and 90 using a AAA or other discount.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks
Around $55. It's $30 at 2am. I assume Sheraton on Mason hotel for spg.

Public transportation (F streetcar & BART) is $11.70 and 55 minutes if you leave at 6pm - rush hour may be crowded and one may feel like a sardine on public transit. I'm a spoiled brat so I prefer a car where I can sit and rest my eyes or do work stuff.

Last edited by gaobest; Jul 26, 2017 at 3:07 am Reason: Hotel and time assumptions
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by squeakr
Really difficult to say
There's a game, a special event, or just not enough drivers on the road, or it's a Thursday or Friday as opposed to a Tuesday or Wednesday…

I would estimate anywhere between $30-$70. Sometimes if there's a surge on Uber there isn't a surge on Lyft and vice versa, so if one has a surge you can try the other.

If you want to book something in advance up you can book execucar (the car service from SuperShuttle) has rates anywhere between 65 and 90 using a AAA or other discount.
It will be a Tuesday so that works in my favor
I loathe SuperShuttle so I would suck it up on BART before I ever step foot on a SS
I could call Execucar just to price it; at $65 I'd probably pounce on it

Do you tip Execucars?

Around $55. It's $30 at 2am. I assume Sheraton on Mason hotel for spg.

Public transportation (F streetcar & BART) is $11.70 and 55 minutes if you leave at 6pm - rush hour may be crowded and one may feel like a sardine on public transit. I'm a spoiled brat so I prefer a car where I can sit and rest my eyes or do work stuff.
Yes Sheraton on Mason

I should have added that there are 2A 2K going to SFO. Four bags so that may inflate the cost but also inflates the BART/F to about $48 as well so maybe the premium to take the car will not be that prohibitive.

Our flight is at 9:30P so we would figure to leave around 6:30P

thanks
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will be a Tuesday so that works in my favor
I loathe SuperShuttle so I would suck it up on BART before I ever step foot on a SS
I could call Execucar just to price it; at $65 I'd probably pounce on it

Do you tip Execucars?

Yes Sheraton on Mason

I should have added that there are 2A 2K going to SFO. Four bags so that may inflate the cost but also inflates the BART/F to about $48 as well so maybe the premium to take the car will not be that prohibitive.

Our flight is at 9:30P so we would figure to leave around 6:30P

thanks
It's currently 3:55pm. For the Lyft Plus (6 pax), it's $50 right now from Sheraton to SFO. I'll try to check at 6pm or you can plug it in on lyft app.
For regular SF, you can use regular lyft etc but with luggage or journeys, I suggest lyft plus etc
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:28 pm

It's currently 3:55pm. For the Lyft Plus (6 pax), it's $50 right now from Sheraton to SFO. I'll try to check at 6pm or you can plug it in on lyft app.
For regular SF, you can use regular lyft etc but with luggage or journeys, I suggest lyft plus etc
thanks ^

I've only used Uber
Where I live, we don't have much use for rides like this. We drive everywhere ourselves. Although the kids use it when I can't get them.

Speaking of Uber, Uber Taxi is in SFO, what is your two cents on Uber Taxi (I've never used it)

Back to Lyft, do you add a tip on to the lyft fee?

if so, why would one choose lyft over uber?

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Jul 26, 2017 at 7:41 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:22 pm

Uber taxi doesn't really work

It's up to the taxi driver to take the call and often they don't. You also pay the metered fare so you don't know what the fare will be.

Lyft AND Uber now accept tips on the app in SF. And Uber tends to be SLIGHTLY cheaper than Lyft unless the surge is on.

The only risk with Uber or lift with four people and luggage is that you may get a Prius. So you'll be slightly cramped on the way to the airport. If that's not a concern I'd go ahead and just use regular Uber or Lyft, if you have a lot of luggage and want to have a bit of space then Uber plus or Lyft plus is fine. Slight surcharge for vehicle that big.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks ^

I've only used Uber
Where I live, we don't have much use for rides like this. We drive everywhere ourselves. Although the kids use it when I can't get them.

Speaking of Uber, Uber Taxi is in SFO, what is your two cents on Uber Taxi (I've never used it)

Back to Lyft, do you add a tip on to the lyft fee?

if so, why would one choose lyft over uber?
I've never used uber taxi. I really only use lyft but use uber in a pinch. If fare is under $20, then I'll tip 10% plus an extra dollar or two. So for a $33 fare, I'll tip $5. The main advantage for lyft uber is not having to seek and pay for parking as well as the door to door service. Plus the drivers use gps and taxis almost NEVER use gps. And when I say gps, I'm also referring to the traffic optimization part of gps.
I prefer lyft because uber corporation has a proven toxic culture that will need a year or two for cleanup. Lyft hasn't yet been caught so it's not yet known if their culture is toxic. Once a film is released of the lyft ceo berating an angry driver, I may change my lyft preference.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's 6:28 on Friday night. Lyft Plus (6 pax) is $57.80 from Sheraton to SFO, and 11 minute wait for a car. Eta (factoring 11 minutes) is 7:30pm.

Google maps says 36 minutes now (6:30) from Sheraton to SFO.

at 6:31pm, uber XL (6 people) is around $52 but I forgot exact fare.

Last edited by gaobest; Jul 28, 2017 at 7:32 pm Reason: Added GOOG maps and uber info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.