Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Napa Valley

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squeakr
most wineries are open 10 AM to 5 PM or something like that.

And you should Google Morimoto if you are considering having dinner there. Morimoto was one of the original iron chefs with a couple of outposts here in the states. Reviews of his restaurants are very mixed.
Agreed. Though to me some disappointment is a function of expectation. Morimoto himself is not cooking there.
Here's the Zagat squib (which pretty much describes my experience):
“Incredible preparations and presentations” of the “finest ingredients” “impress” at this Morimoto locale in Downtown Napa, where the “exceptional” sushi and cooked Japanese dishes “awaken the taste buds”, especially if you splurge on the “unbelievable” omakase; “accommodating” service and a “stunning”“modern” setting with a riverside patio help justify the “expensive” rates; P.S. the Momosan Lounge is devoted to sake and Japanese whiskey.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Take a look at Sonoma as well. You may be surprised what you can find there..
I would omit the "as well". Sonoma is in almost every way a more pleasant wine touring experience than Napa nowadays, unless you are looking for a "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" experience, and are prepared to pay excessive sums for lodging, dining - and making reservations many weeks in advance.

The one thing Napa has over Sonoma is some of the very best - albeit extremely expensive - Cabernets, but you won't be offered them in the tasting rooms, unless you pay a very high fee to do so - like $20-50 for a couple ounce taste of wines that sell for hundreds of dollars a bottle at the wineries.

Sonoma - particularly the Alexander Valley area, has Cabernets that are almost as good, more accessible young, and you'll be able to taste many of them more reasonably, as well as buy them for 2-digit rather than 3-digit prices per bottle (including some quite good Cabernets for $20-35 a bottle, which you won't find in any Napa wineries).

My recommendations that are Cabernet-centric would include Field Stone, Alexander Valley Vineyards, Silver Oak, Simi, Ridge, Ravenswood, Gundlach-Bundschu, and St. Francis, but there are dozens of other Sonoma wineries of merit.

BTW, Sonoma is roughly the same distance from downtown San Francisco as Napa is. They are parallel valleys each about 60-80 miles north of San Francisco separated by the Mayacamas mountain range.

There are also plenty of fine restaurants in Sonoma, especially around Santa Rosa and Healdsburg, which are more easy to get into than the more famous Napa eateries.

Last edited by DeweyCheathem; Jul 8, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Since the OP is only staying for a brief time (1 - 2 days), has already made reservations for Hotel Andaz (right in downtown Napa), etc., it's kind of ridiculous to try to urge him to change his plans in favor of a different destination such as Sonoma. There is PLENTY to see, taste, and eat in and around Napa, and I'm sure it'll be a lovely trip!!!

I think most wineries that offer tastings stay open till about 5:30 or 6:00 in the summer months, but it's best not to arrive at the last minute.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:04 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

EMH sounds like something we are seeking. Shoot me a PM as to who I'm saying Hi for, unless she is a FT and I can say mjm LOL

So realistically if we have one afternoon/evening and the next day (but not evening) and I have to drive the next evening, what could we realistically expect to conquer in that amount of time? or to rephrase, to enjoy ourselves but still see as much as we can, how many wineries are we likely to experience?

thanks
Merril is her name and she would most immediately click if you say Dan Hammer's friend Mike from Tokyo.

if you have one afternoon and one earlier part of the day I would recommend one winery on the first afternoon and then One before lunch possibly including a lunch at the same winery and then possibly one in the afternoon and let her do the drinking in the afternoon so that you can drive that evening. You can do much more than that but you're not only suffered palate burn out but you'll feel like you're rushed everything and it's always best to leave wanting to come back .
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Listen to the master here!

Originally Posted by mjm
Merril is her name and she would most immediately click if you say Dan Hammer's friend Mike from Tokyo.

if you have one afternoon and one earlier part of the day I would recommend one winery on the first afternoon and then One before lunch possibly including a lunch at the same winery and then possibly one in the afternoon and let her do the drinking in the afternoon so that you can drive that evening. You can do much more than that but you're not only suffered palate burn out but you'll feel like you're rushed everything and it's always best to leave wanting to come back .
Listen to the master here!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Since the OP is only staying for a brief time (1 - 2 days), has already made reservations for Hotel Andaz (right in downtown Napa), etc., it's kind of ridiculous to try to urge him to change his plans in favor of a different destination such as Sonoma. There is PLENTY to see, taste, and eat in and around Napa, and I'm sure it'll be a lovely trip!!!

I think most wineries that offer tastings stay open till about 5:30 or 6:00 in the summer months, but it's best not to arrive at the last minute.
I wasn't aware that the OP's reservation was not cancelable. Assuming it can be changed, it's never too late to swap out a touristy stay in Napa with a much more amenable one in Sonoma. It's not like there aren't plenty of fine places to stay in Sonoma.

Knowing what I know about Napa, I would never assume that someone who wishes for anything other than a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous experience will find the place particularly welcoming. Especially in light of only having really one full day of winery hopping/tasting. The fact is, Sonoma is much more welcoming, and less full of itself.

That being said, if the OP is set on Napa, I would at least attempt to avoid doing it on a weekend, like the plague. It's not nearly as bad mid-week.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
I wasn't aware that the OP's reservation was not cancelable. Assuming it can be changed, it's never too late to swap out a touristy stay in Napa with a much more amenable one in Sonoma. It's not like there aren't plenty of fine places to stay in Sonoma.

Knowing what I know about Napa, I would never assume that someone who wishes for anything other than a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous experience will find the place particularly welcoming. Especially in light of only having really one full day of winery hopping/tasting. The fact is, Sonoma is much more welcoming, and less full of itself.

That being said, if the OP is set on Napa, I would at least attempt to avoid doing it on a weekend, like the plague. It's not nearly as bad mid-week.
I agree that the Sonoma wine crawl is more interesting than Napa, more diverse but also more variance than the fairly consistent quality in Napa valley. And a lot less crowded and more accessible. Tastings cost less.
Imo, Napa (town) is more walkable than Sonoma. By virtue of size alone. Healdsburg is very pleasant, but even smaller. To me, because I'm not particularly taken by Yountville, Rutherford and St. Helena (now those towns strike me as more theme park like than Napa by far), Sonoma is a better road trip. Beyond wineries (more spread out than in Napa), there's Guerneville and the Russian River as well as the worthwhile Armstrong Redwoods.
Sonoma Valley has not nearly the number of exceptional restaurants found in Napa. There are good places in Sonoma but the choices are limited compared to Napa. Otoh, far more accessible.
Really, two different valleys.
But staying Napa gives you the more walkable town and easy enough access to the advantages of Sonoma by car.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

Hotel is cancellable as I'm doing a reward stay

on that note, my GF just wants to go to Napa, she has never been and this is just more about the bucket list than anything. She LOVES wine, we only have an afternoon, overnight and half day there the following day

I just want to give her a taste of it, someday if she really wants to come back we will do a more in-depth trip
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Hotel is cancellable as I'm doing a reward stay

on that note, my GF just wants to go to Napa, she has never been and this is just more about the bucket list than anything. She LOVES wine, we only have an afternoon, overnight and half day there the following day

I just want to give her a taste of it, someday if she really wants to come back we will do a more in-depth trip
As I said, if you are dead set on Napa, at least avoid doing it on a weekend. I can't think of a less enjoyable winery visiting experience than doing the Napa Valley on a Saturday. You won't be offered the better wines, you won't get any private conversations with anyone knowledgeable, you'll just get the canned tourism experience designed for the maddening crowd.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
As I said, if you are dead set on Napa, at least avoid doing it on a weekend. I can't think of a less enjoyable winery visiting experience than doing the Napa Valley on a Saturday. You won't be offered the better wines, you won't get any private conversations with anyone knowledgeable, you'll just get the canned tourism experience designed for the maddening crowd.
What you say is true if you're a drop in to the megacorp-owned wineries. However, if they plan a couple of places, by appointment or special tasting, they will pay accordingly, but they will also receive a pleasant, and perhaps, excellent experience.

I just don't ever go to Napa Valley anymore, unless there is a specific purpose (but never for a hop in the car, lets go taste some wine day), but I'd never tell anyone who has never been not to go - I just give realistic expectations.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

We are going on a Wed/Thu
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
What you say is true if you're a drop in to the megacorp-owned wineries. However, if they plan a couple of places, by appointment or special tasting, they will pay accordingly, but they will also receive a pleasant, and perhaps, excellent experience.

I just don't ever go to Napa Valley anymore, unless there is a specific purpose (but never for a hop in the car, lets go taste some wine day), but I'd never tell anyone who has never been not to go - I just give realistic expectations.
how does one do this and more importantly, figure out which ones to do this (bold my emphasis)
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
how does one do this and more importantly, figure out which ones to do this (bold my emphasis)
I'd ask mjm for a few suggestions, and if your GF has a few particular favo(u)rites, explore those possibilities further.

I will not be of any particular help as to specific places in the Napa Valley.

(Also, note that appointment required doesn't necessarily mean snobbery. It most often means that they don't have a drop-in type open to the public tasting room permit.)
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
My winery recommendations are on a recent Napa thread. Andaz is awesome - one of the best places to stay if you plan to use/earn points (the other is the Westin nearby). There is a great sushi place about a block up the street and a good breakfast joint about 3 blocks up.

I would not recommend Morimoto - the service was fine, but the food was not memorable and grossly overpriced. You can find a much better sushi experience in San Francisco.

As for Napa v. Sonoma I don't find much difference now - the "bargains" are mostly gone and it is more a matter of what types of reds you prefer. Sonoma & vicinity will have a better selection of Zinfandels whereas Napa is known for Cabs. There is a wide range of tastings in both areas now from $5-10 per person all the way up to $200pp. You generally get what you pay for ... They both have good restaurants though Napa has more high end joints if that's your thing. The one thing you shouldn't do is stay in one area & taste in the other - you'll spend too much time driving.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jul 9, 2017 at 7:31 pm
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Searched and found nothing relevant re Napa Valley

So the GF and I are going to SFO in August for six days, 1st two days are kid free so we are thinking of a 2 day trip (one night) in NV

thanks
I live and work in the Napa Valley. It really depends on your price range for accommodations and where you will be. Auberge, Meadowood, and Wine Country Inn are luxury hotels upvalley. You might like the Andaz, Marriott, or Westin in the city of Napa if you want a chain hotel. If you need less expensive accommodations, we have a Hilton Garden Inn, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, etc.

As to wineries, we have over 500, LOL, but we would love to host you at Ehlers Estate. We are all-estate and organically farmed. Please email [email protected], attention Elizabeth (me). Some of my other favorites are Stony Hill, Robert Keenan, and Amizetta. I tend to enjoy smaller, boutique or family owned wineries.

Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.