Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Napa Valley

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Take 80 to 29 northbound. If anything happens on 37, you're toast, and this is a frequent event. Also, you've got no freeway for a good chunk of your northbound through SF to the GGB.

I'd hardly call the new portion of the Bay Bridge, and the 80 drive not scenic. People from other parts would kill for such scenery. For us, it is just another day in our million-dollar-plus 100+ year old shacks
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Take 80 to 29 northbound. If anything happens on 37, you're toast, and this is a frequent event. Also, you've got no freeway for a good chunk of your northbound through SF to the GGB.

I'd hardly call the new portion of the Bay Bridge, and the 80 drive not scenic. People from other parts would kill for such scenery. For us, it is just another day in our million-dollar-plus 100+ year old shacks
That is very funny.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
An even better plan might be to go both north and south on the Silverado Trail, skipping Highway 29 completely (except, perhaps, to hit one of the big wineries (BV, Mondavi, or Beringer). The Silverado Trail is much more scenic, and most of the better smaller wineries are on the trail or the connector roads (except for Grgich Hills). Although most of the better restaurants are on 29.

I kind of predicted you would say that, based on your scoffing at the idea of even visiting Napa Valley.

But you've been there before, presumably numerous times, and the OP and his GF have not (except for OP's visit 20-some years ago). Driving Hwy 29 is a must, it is an iconic drive, and it is just as beautiful as Silverado Trail.

Heck, I even drive it myself, and I've been visiting or travelling through Napa Valley since the 1970s. It is not to be missed.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Take 80 to 29 northbound.
I should add that there's a small stretch of 37 (westbound) to connect 80 to 29. If you miss it, you will enjoy Sacramento about an hour later.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
We do all of these routes pretty routinely.

I agree with those who save 29 is jammed up it's not scenic at all. Silverado Trail is much slower, but 29 is lovely.

Either way you can't go wrong - if 29 jams up you can cross over to the Silverado Trail at various points without too much trouble. Really depends on your tolerance for traffic, getting stuck in having to pull over for a bite to eat or whatever, and as several have said, it's all very scenic so either way you will see scenery.

Do you take seriously the advice to not drive with any kind of impairment. Depending on the pours, and how many wineries you check out, you are the designated driver could be impaired without realizing it. And it's tourists Who are bread-and-butter for DUI 's up there.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Look at it this way: if Hwy 29 is jammed, that forces you to drive slowly and admire your surroundings.

Don't be in a hurry, trying to race around to various wineries. Just take it slow and easy, go with the flow.

And it won't necessarily even be jammed anyhow.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Look at it this way: if Hwy 29 is jammed, that forces you to drive slowly and admire your surroundings.

Don't be in a hurry, trying to race around to various wineries. Just take it slow and easy, go with the flow.

And it won't necessarily even be jammed anyhow.
Agree, except that third point on a Labor Day Weekend!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by squeakr
I agree with those who save 29 is jammed up it's not scenic at all. Silverado Trail is much slower, but 29 is lovely.

Either way you can't go wrong - if 29 jams up you can cross over to the Silverado Trail at various points without too much trouble. Really depends on your tolerance for traffic, getting stuck in having to pull over for a bite to eat or whatever, and as several have said, it's all very scenic so either way you will see scenery.

Do you take seriously the advice to not drive with any kind of impairment. Depending on the pours, and how many wineries you check out, you are the designated driver could be impaired without realizing it. And it's tourists Who are bread-and-butter for DUI 's up there.
I think my game plan is to go Northbound up 80 to 29; then once we get there head North from Napa on the Silverado Trail, south bound on 29; returning to SF (via San Raphael) via the other route.

Next question:

We have one day scheduled; now working on the other day...

These two wineries were recommended to me by someone who loves their wine and makes trips to Napa/Sonoma

Nickel & Nickel

Cakebread

any commments.

My quick look at them showed N&N to be pricey ($75 per head) and Cakebread to have more types of tastings to choose from at MUCH lower costs ($15-$40) depending on what you choose

comments?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I think my game plan is to go Northbound up 80 to 29; then once we get there head North from Napa on the Silverado Trail, south bound on 29; returning to SF (via San Raphael) via the other route.

Next question:

These two wineries were recommended to me by someone who loves their wine and makes trips to Napa/Sonoma

Nickel & Nickel

Cakebread

any commments.

My quick look at them showed N&N to be pricey ($75 per head) and Cakebread to have more types of tastings to choose from at MUCH lower costs ($15-$40) depending on what you choose

comments?
Both are very good wineries, but IMHO, each believes in selling their wines at the higher end of what they are worth, as opposed to offering value for the dollar. I've not tasted at either of them, so I can't comment on the tasting experience at the wineries. Cakebread in particular is more known for their pricey but excellent Chardonnay than their reds, but I can't say I have much experience with their reds. Looking on their website shows that they have a broader portfolio of Cabernets than I was aware of. I would agree that their tasting offerings do seem to be among the better values that you will find among well regarded Napa wineries. I've always felt that N&N was overpriced for what they delivered in the bottle. Not that their wines are not excellent, but they are pricey compared to others of comparable quality. You will note that they don't sell any Cabernets for under $115 a bottle for wines that I personally think are fair value in the $50-75 a bottle range.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
Both are very good wineries, but IMHO, each believes in selling their wines at the higher end of what they are worth, as opposed to offering value for the dollar. I've not tasted at either of them, so I can't comment on the tasting experience at the wineries. Cakebread in particular is more known for their pricey but excellent Chardonnay than their reds, but I can't say I have much experience with their reds. Looking on their website shows that they have a broader portfolio of Cabernets than I was aware of. I would agree that their tasting offerings do seem to be among the better values that you will find among well regarded Napa wineries. I've always felt that N&N was overpriced for what they delivered in the bottle. Not that their wines are not excellent, but they are pricey compared to others of comparable quality. You will note that they don't sell any Cabernets for under $115 a bottle for wines that I personally think are fair value in the $50-75 a bottle range.
thanks for your input I appreciate it
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
On your way back to San Rafael, there is a intersection where 116 meets 121 just south of the town of Sonoma. There is a stop sign there and the back up along 121 starting around 3 pm can get very long, esp on weekends. If coming from Napa during that time a good option we often do is to take a right on Napa Rd off 12 and work your way thru Sonoma to Watmaugh Rd and take it to Arnold Dr. (look at Google Maps). Take a left and then a later a left on 116 and you'll come to that dreaded stop sign from the other way, which often has a much shorter queue to get through.

Why they don't put in a regular traffic light there is beyond me.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: FT
Agree with the comments about the two wineries you noted.

in that area, don't know what Rudd, Plumpjack or Miner are charging these days. Probably as much for cabs as the others.

I find Cakebread is a very nice place to visit but the prices have surely gone up.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:41 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Reiterating the F Streetcar from fisherman's wharf

OP mentioned on a different thread that he not heard of the F Streetcar, was mentioned a couple of times on this thread.This is the main Muni route going to and from fisherman's wharf, and it's a pleasant ride as it often uses the antique street cars. So it'd be good to place it on a map to see if it goes to the places you want to go.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
OP mentioned on a different thread that he not heard of the F Streetcar, was mentioned a couple of times on this thread.This is the main Muni route going to and from fisherman's wharf, and it's a pleasant ride as it often uses the antique street cars. So it'd be good to place it on a map to see if it goes to the places you want to go.
Agreed on F - I've not ridden it in years but yesterday my cousin from LA observed a classic (vintage) LA red car and was pleasantly surprised to see it. It's also a fun journey from Fisherman's Wharf to both Cable Car line depots (California & Powell lines), although fisherman's Wharf also has Cable Car depots.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

thanks

to find out more, does one just google SF Muni?

mangoman thanks for the tip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.