Wiki Posts
Search

Napa Valley

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
We are looking for a fun time, we are not wine snobs like it appears many are on this thread. While my GF is more of a wine snob than I that doesn't mean she is in the category of many on here. She just enjoys her wine a little more than I do. I'm a beer & rye guy.. nuff said
As already referred to in other terms, the "fun time" days of yore are gone. For me, at least, this was when you could take a ride up Highway 29, stop in a half dozen places during the day, drink some decent wine with no tasting fees, buy a few bottles, have a picnic (yes, at V. Sattui in its early days) and then go home.

I'm not dissuading you from going (nor entering the "go to Sonoma" debate), because Napa Valley is a visually beautiful place, and if it is on your to-do list, you should go. I just want you to be realistic, and think that you can have a lovely day if you do as I suggested - and the "appointment" wineries can be small family places that don't cost a small mortgage payment.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
As already referred to in other terms, the "fun time" days of yore are gone. For me, at least, this was when you could take a ride up Highway 29, stop in a half dozen places during the day, drink some decent wine with no tasting fees, buy a few bottles, have a picnic (yes, at V. Sattui in its early days) and then go home.

I'm not dissuading you from going (nor entering the "go to Sonoma" debate), because Napa Valley is a visually beautiful place, and if it is on your to-do list, you should go. I just want you to be realistic, and think that you can have a lovely day if you do as I suggested - and the "appointment" wineries can be small family places that don't cost a small mortgage payment.
But the point is, those small family wineries won't be any of the ones that that the OP and his girlfriend have heard of or bought in their local wine shop. Not that they won't be fine - they just won't be any of the names that sell their wines nationally.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: FT

I'm just saying, it becomes difficult for us to follow when the argument of one place over another is based on for lack of a better term.. wine snobbery
I hate to say it but you are not knowledgeable enough to know I was really trying to give you some good advice in the places I suggested. If that sounds like I'm being a snob, well fair enough but all the recommendations I gave are probably of places you may not of heard of and are serving not just good but IMO fantastic mid range wine. The sad thing is that mid range cab is getting more and more expensive. I strive to drink the best possible wine for as cheap as I can get it. I'm drinking some Turley old vine zin. My favorite wines and they are pretty cheap. I gave up cabs a few years back. Well, I still buy some this place. http://www.trujillowines.com/ I consider this mid range.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:09 pm

As already referred to in other terms, the "fun time" days of yore are gone.
I think that you are actually right. I think back on my last trip in the area and I don't think we spent time outside of the Santa Rosa area and Sebastopol.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I hope the OP is finding these discussions helpful

As you can see, many people have strong opinions about Napa wineries and whether any of them are actually worth the money you will spend to go tasting. Don't be dissuaded by peoples' strong opinions – honestly, if you're driving down Rt 29 stop in any wineries that you see that look pleasant and are open. You'll find a decent Cab at many of them, and I think you'll have a good time at any of them.

Sorry I can't be of more help but honestly we stopped going tasting in Napa a long time ago for the reasons that many others have quoted. As we are kind of wine snobs about what we like to drink, Sonoma is a much better fit for us.

Last edited by squeakr; Jul 15, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mkjr
...but all the recommendations I gave are probably of places you may not of heard of and are serving not just good but IMO fantastic mid range wine.
^

I, for one, appreciate your recommendations. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mkjr
I strive to drink the best possible wine for as cheap as I can get it... I gave up cabs a few years back.
I could have written that.

Originally Posted by squeakr
As we are kind of wine snobs about what we like to drink, Sonoma is a much better fit for us.
+1
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
^

I, for one, appreciate your recommendations. Thank you!
For those who have interest, these are a few places that I liked in Sonoma…https://redcarwine.com/ http://www.merryedwards.com/ http://www.adrianfog.com/ although Adrian Fog does not do the tastings where the maps locate the winery (which is actually close to Kosta Browne in the same industrial looking complex – but unless you buy from them, you might not get to visit Kosta Browne). http://www.littorai.com/ you can visit. http://www.inmanfamilywines.com/

Further north is http://www.copainwines.com/ http://www.carlislewinery.com/contact.html is up there also. And next spring, here http://flowerswinery.com/contact-us/
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
We are looking for a fun time, we are not wine snobs like it appears many are on this thread. While my GF is more of a wine snob than I that doesn't mean she is in the category of many on here. She just enjoys her wine a little more than I do. I'm a beer & rye guy.. nuff said

We are looking for a few good places but we don't need the level of "experience" that some of the wine lovers on this thread need. Even the level of quality of the wine is probably not as big of a deal to us than it is to many of you guys. That said and done, We are not looking for a place that sells its wine by the cardboard box - Ha
It's a good point for everyone to keep in mind that people looking to visit Wine Country have different desired experiences in mind. Those very familiar with Northern California offerings can debate the merits of Napa vs. Sonoma, overly touristy vs. not, what constitutes "high end", etc., but this goes over the heads of most casual wine tourists who've never been to the area before.

Here are a few tips I'll offer for casual tourists who've never been to Napa/Sonoma (or haven't been often) and want to go:

-- Logistically you can visit one of the valleys, Napa or Sonoma, in a day trip from SF or other places in the Bay Area. If you try to cram in both areas you'll spend too much time driving. If you have 2 days it's reasonable to visit both.

-- Wineries have hours such as 10-5, 11-4, etc. Check ahead of time and leave early to beat the traffic.

-- A good plan for a day trip is to visit 3 wineries. This gives a bit of variety and is realistic in light of expected driving time, preserving one's palate, and allowing the driver to taste wines as well.

-- Casual drinkers will want to make at least 1 of their 3 stops at a big-name winery, the kind with wines found on the shelf everywhere. For example, Robert Mondavi or Beringer. No, these are not the "best" wines (unless you delve into their very exclusive-- and expensive-- reserve lines) and they are certainly not the "best bang per buck", either. But that's not the point. The point is to learn a bit more about a recognized brand. And, of course, to tell friends back home, "Well, I've been to their winery."

-- Make 1 of your 3 stops at a winery with a good tour. It's interesting to learn about the craft of wine making. This could well be the same as the "name" winery above. If so, don't take two tours. That's too much for one day!

-- Leave 1 of the 3 slots in your itinerary for a last-minute choice. Use it to visit a winery recommended by the concierge at your hotel or the staff or fellow visitors at one of your stops early in the day. Or maybe it's just a place you drive past and say, "Hey, that winery looks interesting."
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by darthbimmer

Here are a few tips I'll offer for casual tourists who've never been to Napa/Sonoma (or haven't been often) and want to go:

-- Logistically you can visit one of the valleys, Napa or Sonoma, in a day trip from SF or other places in the Bay Area. If you try to cram in both areas you'll spend too much time driving. If you have 2 days it's reasonable to visit both.
I'll correct you The Sonoma wine country consists of a multitude of valleys, whereas Napa Valley is one long valley and very easy to navigate. There are two main North/South roads, and 90% of the wineries are either on these roads, or within a short distance of them.

As far as visiting both areas in one day, not only is it too much, but if you've had anything to drink, even if you're "fine to drive," we appreciate you don't traversing these unfamiliar curvy narrow roads even when you are sober. Yes, you, Florida drivers, who don't know what a parking brake is for
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
As far as visiting both areas in one day, not only is it too much, but if you've had anything to drink, even if you're "fine to drive," we appreciate you don't traversing these unfamiliar curvy narrow roads even when you are sober. Yes, you, Florida drivers, who don't know what a parking brake is for
Visitors be forewarned: CHP are out in full force, particularly on weekends. Uber is a great option if everyone in your party wants to indulge. It can cost a bit to get from downtown Napa to the first winery ($25) and the same to return, but it costs very little once you get to the heart of the valley. DWI is very expensive and no reason to take the risk as Uber drivers are everywhere. Driving from SF is a bit more problematic - best strategy is to eat a good sized lunch and pace yourselves. Sometimes we also "split" a tasting between the two of us. Drink lots of water too.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It's a good point for everyone to keep in mind that people looking to visit Wine Country have different desired experiences in mind. Those very familiar with Northern California offerings can debate the merits of Napa vs. Sonoma, overly touristy vs. not, what constitutes "high end", etc., but this goes over the heads of most casual wine tourists who've never been to the area before.

-- Wineries have hours such as 10-5, 11-4, etc. Check ahead of time and leave early to beat the traffic.

-- A good plan for a day trip is to visit 3 wineries. This gives a bit of variety and is realistic in light of expected driving time, preserving one's palate, and allowing the driver to taste wines as well.

-- Casual drinkers will want to make at least 1 of their 3 stops at a big-name winery, the kind with wines found on the shelf everywhere. For example, Robert Mondavi or Beringer. No, these are not the "best" wines (unless you delve into their very exclusive-- and expensive-- reserve lines) and they are certainly not the "best bang per buck", either. But that's not the point. The point is to learn a bit more about a recognized brand. And, of course, to tell friends back home, "Well, I've been to their winery."

-- Make 1 of your 3 stops at a winery with a good tour. It's interesting to learn about the craft of wine making. This could well be the same as the "name" winery above. If so, don't take two tours. That's too much for one day!

-- Leave 1 of the 3 slots in your itinerary for a last-minute choice. Use it to visit a winery recommended by the concierge at your hotel or the staff or fellow visitors at one of your stops early in the day. Or maybe it's just a place you drive past and say, "Hey, that winery looks interesting."
I think one thing that I learned on this thread was that the wineries are not open very long so we will have to find something else to do from say 5P forward

I think we are down to two wineries to visit and will use the 3rd (and 4th?) for selection upon arrival.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Visitors be forewarned: CHP are out in full force, particularly on weekends. Uber is a great option if everyone in your party wants to indulge. It can cost a bit to get from downtown Napa to the first winery ($25) and the same to return, but it costs very little once you get to the heart of the valley. DWI is very expensive and no reason to take the risk as Uber drivers are everywhere. Driving from SF is a bit more problematic - best strategy is to eat a good sized lunch and pace yourselves. Sometimes we also "split" a tasting between the two of us. Drink lots of water too.

I was wondering about this. I think I was just thinking it would be a boon to the local cops as opposed to the state coffers.

I will be the designated driver. I can live without wine, GF can't. So I might have one per winery but thats it. She can imbibe all she wants
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I'll correct you The Sonoma wine country consists of a multitude of valleys, whereas Napa Valley is one long valley and very easy to navigate. There are two main North/South roads, and 90% of the wineries are either on these roads, or within a short distance of them....
I was going to point out the same thing. There is Napa Valley and to the west of it (behind a range of mountains), Sonoma Valley. But then, to the west of that, there is a much larger area of Sonoma County which is also wine country.

So, strictly speaking, there is a difference between "Sonoma Valley" and "Sonoma wine country." The latter is much larger and Sonoma Valley is just a small portion of it.

When you talk about "two main North/South roads," I assume you are talking about Napa Valley. Those roads would be Hwy 29 and the Silverado Trail. The distance from the city of Napa to the town of Calistoga is roughly 25 miles by either of those roads. One plan for a day's drive is to go north (actually, sort of NW) from Napa on Hwy 29 to Calistoga, then complete the loop by returning to Napa on the Silverado Trail. Also note, these two main roads are only a few (three or so, varying) miles apart. (Long, narrow valley.) There are connector roads between them in several places, including Yountville, Rutherford, St. Helena, among others. So of course you can easily deviate from the loop plan, if needed.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Jul 18, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I was going to point out the same thing. There is Napa Valley and to the west of it (behind a range of mountains), Sonoma Valley. But then, to the west of that, there is a much larger area of Sonoma County which is also wine country.

So, strictly speaking, there is a difference between "Sonoma Valley" and "Sonoma wine country." The latter is much larger and Sonoma Valley is just a small portion of it.

When you talk about "two main North/South roads," I assume you are talking about Napa Valley. Those roads would be Hwy 29 and the Silverado Trail. The distance from the city of Napa to the town of Calistoga is roughly 25 miles by either of those roads. One plan for a day's drive is to go north (actually, sort of NW) from Napa on Hwy 29 to Calistoga, then complete the loop by returning to Napa on the Silverado Trail. Also note, these two main roads are only a few (three or so, varying) miles apart. (Long, narrow valley.) There are connector roads between them in several places, including Yountville, Rutherford, St. Helena, among others. So of course you can easily deviate from the loop plan, if needed.
An even better plan might be to go both north and south on the Silverado Trail, skipping Highway 29 completely (except, perhaps, to hit one of the big wineries (BV, Mondavi, or Beringer). The Silverado Trail is much more scenic, and most of the better smaller wineries are on the trail or the connector roads (except for Grgich Hills). Although most of the better restaurants are on 29.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Looking at the map

SFO to the Andaz Napa

Over the bay bridge and north (well east) on 80 and up 29 is 59 miles or 1:25
Over the GG bridge and north on 101 to CA 37 is 65 miles or 1:40

coming back south we have to go the latter route due to a stop we need to make in San Raphael

Is that first choice (shorter) really worth it; from what I remember, there isn't much to see (well that my eyes want to see) at least until Vallejo? From what I remember and its been a long time is a lot of refineries etc.

Is the GG route much more scenic?

I'm just looking for the better route north for being scenic but also if one is much slower than the other, I'll take that into consideration as well
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:57 am

most would go the 37 to 121 to the 12 to the 29. hopefully you did not mean going 37 to 29 And yes, the 101 to the 37 to 121 to the 12 to the 29 is more scenic since that takes you through the Carneros AVA although could be foggy as shht in the early am.

then again, i would also take this route since I would probably hit the study of pinot at etude https://www.etudewines.com/en/ on the way but then again, i like pinots that are as full throttle as cabs.

the comment about DWI is a good warning. i generally spit when i taste anyway to visit more places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.