Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Sonoma or San Fran and take a tour

Old Apr 13, 17, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

We're travelling to San Francisco in Sept and would like to stay in Sonoma again, we were there a few years back, but the accommodation prices are really high, yes its a weekend but $400 per night in mid range hotels?

This has led me to toy with the idea of staying in San Francisco and take a wine tour to the area.

My question is would you think that the room rates would reduce closer to the time or is September the peak time for visiting Sonoma due to the harvest and I'm best grabbing what I can now.
Old Apr 13, 17, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
There could be a number of factors, but it is possible that there's a race at Sears Point or some other large event on the weekend you're looking. I can't imagine taking a wine tour from SF. It just sounds like a horrible way to spend a day. But people like them, and who am I to judge.

I'd suggest you look for lodging in points north in smaller towns, such as Windsor, Geyserville, and Cloverdale. Healdsburg will be way too expensive (although you should check there, too, as maybe you'll get a surprise). Northern Sonoma County is just fantastic and will provide you with hundreds of small winery options. The towns I mentioned are right on US 101 and are about an hour north of the Golden Gate Br. (w/o traffic).
Old Apr 13, 17, 10:14 am

I'm in Healdsburg right now at a B&B which offers free tastings at 8 local wineries. The room rate is 275 ( king). Room isn't enormous but not cramped either. But prices change - go up - next month. This place is nice but its not "perfect." This was just a couple of days away, not an anniversary or anything like that.
I also agree with Eastbay1K. There are quite affordable options in Sonoma just outside of Healdsburg.
Old Apr 13, 17, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I usually look first at Santa Rosa and nearby towns, as my favorite wineries are in northern Sonoma anyway. But rates there have ratcheted up the past 5 years, too, such that weekends at some mid range properties push $300/night. I've sharply reduced my weekend trips to the area because of these runaway costs.
Old Apr 13, 17, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Thanks for the replies, I'm looking at Sept 8th to 10th which I imagine is high season. I don't mind paying for good accommodation which is good value, and I'm sure there are very nice places in the area.

I think I will be booking a B&B option and have a couple in mind.

I'll check out the suggestions, thanks.
Old Apr 13, 17, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I've enjoyed my stays at the Hope Merrill Inn (B&B) in Geyserville. And one of the best restaurants around (Diavola) is a short walk, so you can stumble back to your room after dinner.

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Apr 13, 17 at 5:41 pm
Old Apr 14, 17, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
We rarely stay in Sonoma proper for that reason

Often stay at one of the Hiltons or Hyatt in Santa Rosa or nearby. We like being close to Sonoma, and for us Geyserville even Healdsburg is a bit far out.

Last edited by squeakr; Apr 15, 17 at 9:37 pm
Old Apr 15, 17, 1:41 pm

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We just stayed at Airbnb in kenwood, near Sonoma. It was 15/20 minutes Inbetween Santa Rosa and Sonoma which increased our range of places to visit. It was also cheaper than staying in Sonoma. Anyway if you want to stay directly in Sonoma, then maybe hotel points will be better for you. Either way I doubt it's *that* much more $ than comparable hotel in San Francisco. So maybe that's another consideration.
I definitely endorse 2 nights (or more!) in Sonoma as opposed to a day trip. Like anything else, you'll just enjoy the extra time. If you drive, try to rent a convertible!
Old Apr 16, 17, 12:46 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Well, if you want a little more rural setting you could try the Gaige House in Glen Ellen for under $300/night. Or the Beltane Ranch between Sonoma and Kenwood is a spectacular setting. A lot of the good wineries are on this corridor.

Search this Thread