FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   SFO Runway Construction March 31, 2017 - June 9, 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1833237-sfo-runway-construction-march-31-2017-june-9-2017-a.html)

Eastbay1K Mar 31, 2017 11:49 am

SFO Runway Construction March 31, 2017 - June 9, 2017

[This is from the VX website]

San Francisco International Airport (SFO) will be performing routine maintenance on one of its runways including repaving and installation of upgraded LED centerline lights. While most of the work will occur during the overnight hours, completion of the project will require a series of weekend runway closures through June 9, 2017. As a result of the weekend runway closures, guests may experience flight delays, especially during peak travel periods and/or unfavorable weather conditions at SFO. More detailed information on SFO’s runway improvement program can be found here . Virgin America guests traveling to or from SFO during the runway construction period are encouraged to sign up for Flight Alerts and to check their Flight Status.

Planned weekend closures are as follows:

Friday, March 31st at 6:00 p.m. PST through Monday, April 3rd at 12:00 noon PST
Friday, April 7th at 6:00 p.m. PST through Monday, April 10th at 12:00 noon PST
Friday, April 21st at 6:00 p.m. PST through Monday, April 24th at 12:00 noon PST
Friday, April 28th at 11:59 p.m. PST through Sunday, April 30th at 12:00 noon PST
Friday, May 5th at 11:59 p.m. PST through Sunday, May 7th at 12:00 noon PST
Friday, May 12th at 6:00 p.m. PST through Monday, May 15th at 12:00 noon PST
Friday, May 19th at 6:00 p.m. PST through Monday, May 22nd at 12:00 noon PST
Friday, June 2nd at 6:00 p.m. PST through Monday, June 5th at 12:00 noon PST
Friday, June 9th at 6:00 p.m. PST through Monday, June 12th at 12:00 noon PST

Please note, these closures are weather dependent, travelers are encouraged to follow @flySFO on Twitter for the latest news and updates.

ucdtim17 Mar 31, 2017 6:47 pm

Also OAK will be repaving the main runway 12/30 later this year. I think they're shooting for September. The adjacent taxiway will be upgraded to a temporary runway, mainly for widebody departures I assume and most commercial traffic will shift to North Field. They're waiting on final federal funding (and hoping Trump doesn't spike it to spite sanctuary city Oakland).

Doc Savage Mar 31, 2017 6:51 pm

Groan....

gaobest Mar 31, 2017 9:17 pm

Wow! We are flying on SY (sun country airlines) msp-SFO on Sunday may 21! This could be a bit rough.
This is quite surreal!

dhuey Apr 1, 2017 10:33 am

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 28113894)
Wow! We are flying on SY (sun country airlines) msp-SFO on Sunday may 21! This could be a bit rough.
This is quite surreal!

I doubt this will affect you. And even if there are weather delays, your longish flight will have priority over the shorter flights within the West Coast.

prometa Apr 1, 2017 11:09 pm

I ran into this yesterday -- flight from EWR was delayed, and then, per the captain, assigned a 15 minute window for landing due to the runway maintenance, which delayed us about 45 minutes longer.

FLLUAFlyer Apr 3, 2017 9:18 am

04/03/2017 FLL-SFO 7:45a departure left gate on time, but SFO ground delay due to runway construction caused a wheels-up delay until 8:30a.

jjmoore Apr 4, 2017 8:46 am

Man... I have a flurry of SFO trips coming up during the next 6 weeks.... Most travel on Monday mornings and Friday evenings. Not looking forward to this.

danielonn May 13, 2017 11:46 am

I have an Air France flight for July 14th so hopefully everything will be back to normal by then. But as we know with a lot of projects the projected date can be pushed back.

I wish everyone good luck with their flights and patience is virtue. I hope this will improve conditions for the long run.

danielonn May 13, 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 28115769)
I doubt this will affect you. And even if there are weather delays, your longish flight will have priority over the shorter flights within the West Coast.

The same thing is happening at LAX with their runway construction any flight within a 500 mile radius gets held and anything above that is prioritized so international arrivals and departures while they do get prioritized can still be delayed. Just look at the Flight History on Flightaware for a general idea of the 7 day average.

kevincrumbs May 22, 2017 10:54 am

Two data points from a weekend trip to San Francisco:

- AS PDX - SFO flight (09:55 scheduled departure) was diverted to OAK. I woke up on Saturday morning to a text that our flight would be operating into OAK instead and that ground transportation would be available on a complimentary basis for those needing to get to SFO. Needless to say, we took BART into the city instead.

- VX SFO - PDX flight (20:45 scheduled departure) was delayed two hours. From listening to some of the chatter at the gate, it sounds like one of the AS SFO - PDX flights was moved to SJC.

acwan93 May 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Discussed on the WN forum, it looks like runway's closed Memorial Day weekend too.

I've got a United Express (SKW) flight out of SFO Saturday morning and hope it doesn't get canceled. It seems like that has been the case whenever the runway's closed based on the flight history.

returnoftheyeti May 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 (Post 28113544)
Also OAK will be repaving the main runway 12/30 later this year. I think they're shooting for September. The adjacent taxiway will be upgraded to a temporary runway, mainly for widebody departures I assume and most commercial traffic will shift to North Field. They're waiting on final federal funding (and hoping Trump doesn't spike it to spite sanctuary city Oakland).

I am excited to land on the North Field. Gonna have to plan a trip, even if the taxi will be a LONG haul.

rob_flies_ua May 24, 2017 11:41 am

Originally Posted by acwan93 (Post 28351890)
Discussed on the WN forum, it looks like runway's closed Memorial Day weekend too.

I've got a United Express (SKW) flight out of SFO Saturday morning and hope it doesn't get canceled. It seems like that has been the case whenever the runway's closed based on the flight history.

One can see the updated schedule at flysfo.com/28L

returnoftheyeti May 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Looks like BART to the city is disrupted as well this weekend.

http://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2017/news20170302-1