UA to Offer STS-SFO Flights

Old Feb 28, 17, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

UA to Offer STS-SFO Flights

http://sfist.com/2017/02/28/united_t...ly_flights.php

Any one want to ride the inarguable with me?

Looks like it starts 8-June and R/T Prices are $489. I am setting an alert and if I can get it for $200 or less I am on it.

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Feb 28, 17 at 6:07 pm
Old Feb 28, 17, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
One thing the article's author gets wrong is the idea that this route is for commuters and tourists who simply want an alternative to driving between SF and Sonoma. It should be self evident from the time it takes simply to drive vs. all that flying commercially entails that there's little value in flying if the 50 mile route is the entirety of the trip. Then there's UA's pricing of $489 R/T on the O&D route. It's not designed for O&D; it's designed for connections at SFO. Expect much more sensible fares STS-SFO-XYZ and XYZ-SFO-STS.
Old Feb 28, 17, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat-1MM, Hhonors Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
As I live less than 2 miles from STS, this should be a good thing for me, but the cost seems prohibitive. I fly SFO-EWR every other month or so, I looked at the connections and time wise it is about the same, but I worry if the UX out of STS is delayed/cancelled, that I will mis-conect. Guess I will see what the on-time/cancel rate is. Really wish they would put a STS-DEN flight in.
Old Feb 28, 17, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, the article is mocking the commute and traffic. Its the same as the SFO-SMF flights. Stupid expensive on their own, made for international or long haul connections.

This is also probably UA trying to get a dog in the upcoming Inter-Cal war that is starting. Between AS and WN batteling to own Inter-California flights, you also have Jetsuite X in CCR. UA has no flights out of OAK, so this is a good way to get some action from the North and East Bay customers.

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Feb 28, 17 at 10:23 pm
Old Feb 28, 17, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
We know you have a choice of severely delayed and/or canceled flights. Thank you for flying United Express for today's severely delayed flight still on decision. Ask the billions of people who misconnected or never made it at all who were originating SMF or MRY with an SFO connection.
Old Feb 28, 17, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
Yeah, the article is mocking the commute and trafficking. Its the same as the SFO-SMF flights. Stipid expensive on their own, made for international or long haul connections.

This is also probably UA trying to get a dog in the upcoming Inter-Cal war that is starting. Between AS and WN batteling to own Inter-California flights, you also have Jetsuite X in CCR. UA has no flights out of OAK, so this is a good way to get some action from the North and East Bay customers.
No one in the east bay is going to choose an STS-SFO-XYZ over SFO-XYZ
Old Mar 1, 17, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
No one in the east bay is going to choose an STS-SFO-XYZ over SFO-XYZ
Personally, I'm crossing my fingers that UA restarts OAK-DEN with like 2x or 3x daily E175 and OAK-ORD 2x mainline.
Old Mar 1, 17, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Just found PHX-SFO-STS r/t for $301 for random dates in June. I fly into SMF and OAK frequently and $301 is right in line with fares to NorCal.
Old Mar 1, 17, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
We know you have a choice of severely delayed and/or canceled flights. Thank you for flying United Express for today's severely delayed flight still on decision. Ask the billions of people who misconnected or never made it at all who were originating SMF or MRY with an SFO connection.
Since ground transportation is a reasonable alternative this would be among the first flights to get cancelled in case of weather or operational problems, along with MRY and SMF. Having said that, when I lived in MRY around 10 years ago I would still prefer to fly out of MRY even if I was just hopping up to SFO to connect. For one, any delays or cancellations become United's problem, compared to if there was traffic or other problems between MRY and SFO and I'm driving up or taking a shuttle bus and I'm late to the airport, it becomes my fault.

My rule of thumb when I lived in MRY was that I had to be saving at least $100 to be worth flying out of SJC/SFO/OAK instead of MRY, which I based a lot on the cost of taking the Monterey Airbus.
Old Mar 1, 17, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua View Post
Personally, I'm crossing my fingers that UA restarts OAK-DEN with like 2x or 3x daily E175 and OAK-ORD 2x mainline.
That would be great but if they're ok letting JFK go, I don't see why they'd go to the trouble to reopen OAK just to get in a fare war with Southwest

Search this Thread