Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SJC Arrival Time Question for Departure

SJC Arrival Time Question for Departure

Old Dec 21, 16, 10:24 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 520
SJC Arrival Time Question for Departure

If my flight departs at 6:30am on 12/22 out of SJC, what time should I plan to arrive at the airport?

Should I expect it to be busy due to the holidays, even with the extremely early flight?

I have TSA precheck, but the some of my party does not.
Travelchurner is offline  
Old Dec 21, 16, 10:29 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,884
530am? I don't think very much happens before then.
LondonElite is online now  
Old Dec 21, 16, 10:34 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 520
If I were traveling alone I would even arrive at 6am. We'll plan to arrive at 5:30 then, thanks.
Travelchurner is offline  
Old Dec 21, 16, 11:43 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,232
I've seen some madness in SJC before, especially around the holidays.

We'll move this to another thread for a more regional perspective.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
beckoa is online now  
Old Dec 21, 16, 12:10 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Central California
Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Posts: 6,459
Is this for an international departure or domestic?
abmj-jr is offline  
Old Dec 21, 16, 12:40 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,884
With the possible exception of TLV, I'd never consider showing up earlier than 90mins before a flight (and that goes for intl from big hubs). Small airports at crack-of-dawn take away 30 mins.
LondonElite is online now  
Old Dec 21, 16, 3:09 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 520
Forgot to mention, this is domestic. No checked bags.
Travelchurner is offline  
Old Dec 21, 16, 3:26 pm
  #8  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 11,774
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
I've seen some madness in SJC before, especially around the holidays.

We'll move this to another thread for a more regional perspective.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
And I'll relocated this thread to the San Francisco forum where SJC questions are commonly asked.

TWA884
California moderator
TWA884 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 16, 5:05 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Santa Cruz, CA USA
Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Posts: 7,286
Originally Posted by crazytravelguy View Post
If I were traveling alone I would even arrive at 6am. We'll plan to arrive at 5:30 then, thanks.
I see 12 flights scheduled to depart between 6 and 6:30 am. That's about 1200 passengers. Considering that some airlines often close the doors as much as 10 minutes before scheduled departure, arriving 30 minutes before scheduled departure even with TSA pre-check would be taking a substantial risk. One hour would be my minimum with a family without pre-check. Ask yourself what a few extra minutes of a relaxed departure is worth compared with a frantic dash or even worse, a missed flight, would mean. My slogan - I'd rather be in here wishing I was out there rather than out there wishing I was in here.
JerryFF is offline  
Old Dec 22, 16, 12:45 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 13,317
Originally Posted by JerryFF View Post
I see 12 flights scheduled to depart between 6 and 6:30 am. That's about 1200 passengers. Considering that some airlines often close the doors as much as 10 minutes before scheduled departure, arriving 30 minutes before scheduled departure even with TSA pre-check would be taking a substantial risk. One hour would be my minimum with a family without pre-check. Ask yourself what a few extra minutes of a relaxed departure is worth compared with a frantic dash or even worse, a missed flight, would mean. My slogan - I'd rather be in here wishing I was out there rather than out there wishing I was in here.
Today the PreCheck security lane at SJC was the one farthest back looking from the front of the line. This meant that you had to wait with the non-PreCheck people for a little bit after the ID/boarding pass check, which slowed things down a bit.

I don't know if it's normal for SJC but considering that's a possibility, arriving a bit earlier than usual is probably a good thing to do.
tmiw is offline  
Old Dec 22, 16, 2:35 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 10,385
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Today the PreCheck security lane at SJC was the one farthest back looking from the front of the line. This meant that you had to wait with the non-PreCheck people for a little bit after the ID/boarding pass check, which slowed things down a bit.

I don't know if it's normal for SJC but considering that's a possibility, arriving a bit earlier than usual is probably a good thing to do.
Was this Terminal B? IME at Terminal A PreCheck goes around the outside and doesn't commingle with non-PreCheck except when the actual PreCheck security late is closed and they're doing PreCheck Lite.
Zorak is offline  
Old Dec 22, 16, 4:20 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 13,317
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Was this Terminal B? IME at Terminal A PreCheck goes around the outside and doesn't commingle with non-PreCheck except when the actual PreCheck security late is closed and they're doing PreCheck Lite.
Yep. Normally you turn left after the ID check station there and don't commingle with the others but apparently not yesterday.
tmiw is offline  
Old Dec 24, 16, 8:33 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 520
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Yep. Normally you turn left after the ID check station there and don't commingle with the others but apparently not yesterday.
I experienced the shared line as well. This was due to the k9 on duty I believe.
Travelchurner is offline  
Old Jan 11, 17, 1:49 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 567
Last time I flew through SJC, the precheck line wasn't even open at around 7:30am. When I got to the belt, the agent there questioned me on who sent me to the regular line.
eeflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread