Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OAK/LGW on BA is a comin'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I've never gone through Immigration and Customs at OAK. Any guesses here on what that will be like once BA gets this LGW route going?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by dhuey
I've never gone through Immigration and Customs at OAK. Any guesses here on what that will be like once BA gets this LGW route going?
Could be a nightmare depending on staffing and flight schedules. Personally I think you are much better off at a major airport with a lot of international traffic particularly if you have GE. But then again if the international flights are staggered then maybe the lineup won't be too bad.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Could be a nightmare depending on staffing and flight schedules.
It does seem like a staffing challenge for CBP. It's not like where an airline can "borrow" the airport employees of another carrier at a destination that it serves with only one or two flights per day. This requires regular CBP officers and agents.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
It does seem like a staffing challenge for CBP. It's not like where an airline can "borrow" the airport employees of another carrier at a destination that it serves with only one or two flights per day. This requires regular CBP officers and agents.
I believe there are only 2 int'l-capable gates. I can't imagine 500 people (a BA plane at the same time as a narrow-body) being a fun arrival experience @ OAK.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I believe there are only 2 int'l-capable gates. I can't imagine 500 people (a BA plane at the same time as a narrow-body) being a fun arrival experience @ OAK.
They can schedule the arrivals not to coincide, but of course there will inevitably be delays and early arrivals such that they arrive simultaneously.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
[QUOTE=Boraxo;27449457]With all due respect, AA, DL and UA all serve this market via connections @ various hubs and all offer direct aisle access (except UA which partially offers on 787s and is reconfi aircraft to offer on all flights). Not sure where you live but UA is not a "small player" @SFO (the largest player last I checked) and I think has more than a few flights @LHR. /QUOTE]

I was talking about Bay Area to London. A connecting flight will always be inferior so doesn't really compare. And UA is relatively small between the Bay Area and London (second but much smaller than BA) and relatively small from the USA to London (behind BA - by far the largest - AA and VS).
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:35 pm

Expanded customs facilities will be opening next year.
Currently only one aircraft and approximately 300 passengers per hour can be processed at a time (with full Custom Border Protection (CBP) staffing). The upgraded IAB facility is expected to accommodate up to 600 arriving passengers/hour (with full CBP staffing) and allow for the ability to service two aircraft simultaneously.

The scope of the work for the IAB Upgrade Project consists of the following:
 A building addition to accommodate a new redundant baggage carousel, upgrades to baggage conveyance system, and replacement of the existing baggage carousel.
 A building addition to accommodate an expanded queuing and processing area to improve the primary screening operations, including expanded use of Automatic Passport Control (APC) kiosks.
 Updated restroom facilities, seismic upgrades and building systems infrastructure upgrades.
 Modifications to the passenger boarding bridge, aircraft parking positions, fuel pits, adjacent apron and taxi lanes to accommodate the building additions.
Port of Oakland is voting on final funding at their Thursday meeting (https://portofoakland.legistar.com/L...tions=&Search=
). Opening date hasn't been announced. They've said they can accommodate planned flights with smart scheduling, so hopefully there isn't too large a traffic jam at any one time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.