Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Avoid Rental Car Air Train Fee by Avoiding Air Train?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that one could avoid paying the Airtrain fee (looks like $19) by getting to the rental car center by a method other than Airtrain.

Anyone info on this, one way or the other?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
How would that work? Rental agencies don't pay staff to monitor how you arrive or depart and adjust your bill accordingly.

The Airtrain fee is an airport garbage fee. The only way not to pay it is not to rent at an airport location.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree with darthbimmer.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's also incorrect to call it a fee - it's a tax
Old Oct 29, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Avis has removed the fee for me without hesitation when asked. But their interpretation seems to be that it's only applicable if you are a local renter with a local address which I happen to be. You may have to push a lot more to get them to do it if you arrive at the airport terminal and simply avoid using the train or if you are renting locally without a local address on your license.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Exactly my experience with Alamo after the original post. I said I came via Uber, did I need to pay the fee? He said something along the lines of you're a local, you only need to ask". I was not charged the Airtrain fee.

Originally Posted by rt1flea
Avis has removed the fee for me without hesitation when asked. But their interpretation seems to be that it's only applicable if you are a local renter with a local address which I happen to be. You may have to push a lot more to get them to do it if you arrive at the airport terminal and simply avoid using the train or if you are renting locally without a local address on your license.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:24 pm

I never knew we charged a $19 Airtrain fee. Thats pretty lame.

That being said, there is a Budget rent a car at Tanforan at Sears. One BART stop away from SFO and the rental fees are significantly less.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hertz used to not charge it if you select the "Not Arriving by Plane" option when booking, but they stopped that about 2 years ago.

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
That being said, there is a Budget rent a car at Tanforan at Sears. One BART stop away from SFO and the rental fees are significantly less.
Budget and Avis (few hundred meters from BART), as well as Hertz (a bit further - just outside of the Tanforan carpark), although obviously their hours are more limited than the airport, and their prices can be higher (or on occasion, cheaper) than the airport so it doesn't always work out cheaper to rent from them.

Avis at least generally allows one-ways to the airport, so you can return there. The airtrain fee is only charged when renting from the airport, not when returning there.

(And yes, it's $19 now. Until a few months ago it was $20)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.