FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   BART for a few journeys... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1794676-bart-few-journeys.html)

LiviLion Oct 4, 2016 2:40 pm

BART for a few journeys...

Hi,

Arriving into San Francisco for a few days shortly with my 12 year old son - we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express Fishermans Wharf.

As part of our holiday we are going to see Oakland Raiders vs the chargers at the Coliseum.

So, my thinking is that I should get a red ticket for BART for my son when we arrive as it's only $9 for $24 ticket value which will be fine for SFO-Embarcadero return and Embarcadero to Coliseum Return.

I'll need to get about $25 on a BART ticket for myself to cover these journeys as well.

At Embarcadero I can get an Uber or Cab to get us to the hotel on our airport days.

I intend on getting a 3 day muni passport so we can ride the F line, cable cars, etc which will also be useful to get us near a station we can get to the Coliseum as well.

Just really wanting to check I've not missed anything here or if there are any other alternatives I've missed.

gokickrocks Oct 4, 2016 3:48 pm

Sounds good. For your airport days, I'd also recommend using BART, especially considering SF traffic.

squeakr Oct 7, 2016 11:04 am

The OP is using Bart

But they still need to get from Bart to fisherman's wharf.

Troopers Oct 7, 2016 11:15 am

Originally Posted by LiviLion (Post 27302848)
I intend on getting a 3 day muni passport so we can ride the F line, cable cars, etc which will also be useful to get us near a station we can get to the Coliseum as well.

I'd skip the muni pass, use Uber and pay as you go on Muni.

Javelin Oct 7, 2016 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 27316245)

I also would not recommend MUNI between Embarcadero and the wharf—it's frequently served by a bus and even when it's one of those streetcars, they're really cramped in there. An Uber ride would be much better.

MDtR-Chicago Oct 10, 2016 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 27316245)

If you know for a fact that you will definitely take a round trip on a cable car, that's $14 on its own. You could make the argument that the extra $17 is worth not needing to deal with cash and paper transfers the rest of the time.

But it looks like there is no youth discount on the 3-day pass so really that tips in the favor of cash.

Originally Posted by Javelin (Post 27317973)
I also would not recommend MUNI between Embarcadero and the wharf—it's frequently served by a bus and even when it's one of those streetcars, they're really cramped in there. An Uber ride would be much better.

This weekend they seemed to be trying an actual coordinated dispatch. There were extra people managing the Jones/Beach launch point and making sure the trains were leaving with a reasonable number of people.

It wasn't QUITE as bad as earlier in the summer but it was still frustratingly full. I wouldn't try it with luggage.