FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Taxi or BART from/to SFO? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1783672-taxi-bart-sfo.html)

ticu Aug 9, 2016 10:00 am

Taxi or BART from/to SFO?

Best way to get from SFO to Andrews Hotel in Union Square on a Friday morning between 9 and 10 : Taxi or BART?
I believe the same would apply for Fisherman's Wharf or Financial District?
The hotel for now is in Union Square, but I might cancel though if Priceline will show better deals for FW or FD.

What about the return trip to SFO for a departure form SFO to YYZ scheduled for around 3:45 PM. on a Monday afternoon?
Thank you.

nineworldseries Aug 9, 2016 10:57 am

Originally Posted by ticu (Post 27038396)
I believe the same would apply for Fisherman's Wharf or Financial District?.

No, BART goes nowhere near Fisherman's Wharf. You would either have to take the Powell or Hyde cable car from Powell BART (could take hours), the F Market/Wharves streetcar from Embarcadero, or walk the (very hilly) 2 miles to FW from Powell.

nineworldseries Aug 9, 2016 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ticu (Post 27038396)
Best way to get from SFO to Andrews Hotel in Union Square on a Friday morning between 9 and 10 : Taxi or BART?

Taxi would be about $70-80. If you're wealthy and can afford it, fine. I would take the BART for $8.95.

ticu Aug 9, 2016 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries (Post 27038692)
No, BART goes nowhere near Fisherman's Wharf. You would either have to take the Powell or Hyde cable car from Powell BART (could take hours), the F Market/Wharves streetcar from Embarcadero, or walk the (very hilly) 2 miles to FW from Powell.

I guess then BART only works fine for The Andrews Hotel at Union Square. About 2+3 blocks N and W from Powell station the way I see it on the map.
If changing the hotel to FW or FD I'll get BART to Powell and then a cab from there to hotel. I believe it would be more cheaper then the full SFO hotel taxi ride. Thanks.

Eastbay1K Aug 9, 2016 3:44 pm

Consider UBER Pool the entire way. They've been running a lot of weekday specials lately - no guarantee it will be when you're here, but it will be less than a taxi, and take you door to door. Getting a taxi when you leave BART in SF is not as easy as you might think, given all the driving/turning restrictions on Market St.

ucdtim17 Aug 9, 2016 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 27040329)
Consider UBER Pool the entire way. They've been running a lot of weekday specials lately - no guarantee it will be when you're here, but it will be less than a taxi, and take you door to door. Getting a taxi when you leave BART in SF is not as easy as you might think, given all the driving/turning restrictions on Market St.

Have you tried uber pool from SFO? Landing there Sunday labor day weekend and considering if it'd be a better option to skip the BART closure. I'm thinking it'd be easy to take to a downtown BART station and then get to the east bay

Hawaiian717 Aug 10, 2016 9:49 am

Originally Posted by ticu (Post 27039718)
If changing the hotel to FW or FD I'll get BART to Powell and then a cab from there to hotel. I believe it would be more cheaper then the full SFO hotel taxi ride. Thanks.

BART to Financial District should be fine. Embarcadero station is very close to the Hyatt Regency, for example.

Box10 Aug 10, 2016 9:34 pm

You could always take BART then taxi. Or the Sam Trans 292 bus

ticu Aug 11, 2016 6:40 am

What about the Supper Shuttle or other shuttles? Do they have reliable service? Are they taking you to your hotel?

squeakr Aug 11, 2016 3:44 pm

SuperSHuttle is HORRIBLE!

Since Uber and Uberpool they can't find enough people to take the shuttle so the dropoffs are nowhere near each other.

Non-NonRev Aug 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 27051061)
Since Uber and Uberpool they can't find enough people to take the shuttle so the dropoffs are nowhere near each other.

In addition to that their safety record is not the best.

ticu Aug 12, 2016 8:07 am

Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 27051061)

Where is Uber picking up from at SFO International Terminal? Designated area? Anywhere?

In addition to the ride cost (which I see is estimated around $27-$35 for UberX) I have to also factor in the fact that having a Canadian wireless carrier (ROGERS) my international roaming charges for data, text and voice just for ordering and then getting the UBER to where I will be picked up will add up to some $15 extra.

Eastbay1K Aug 12, 2016 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ticu (Post 27053926)
Where is Uber picking up from at SFO International Terminal? Designated area? Anywhere?

In addition to the ride cost (which I see is estimated around $27-$35 for UberX) I have to also factor in the fact that having a Canadian wireless carrier (ROGERS) my international roaming charges for data, text and voice just for ordering and then getting the UBER to where I will be picked up will add up to some $15 extra.

SFO has free wi-fi - I don't know how far outside it will work, but you could order it inside.

UBER will tell you what door number to meet your driver at. It will be upstairs (departures level).

jeebus Aug 16, 2016 5:38 pm

If you know someone at your destination, you could have that person order Uber/Lyft for you and save on the roaming charges. Or you could pick up a SIM card at the airport which would probably pay for itself. Just DO NOT take SuperShuttle.

ticu Aug 24, 2016 12:33 pm

We ended up getting an UBER and I've been able to use SFO wifi next to Door 4 at the departure levels where I asked the driver to pick us up. The cost to Andrews Hotel was 30 USD. Same for the return trip on Monday at noon. I tipped both drivers 5 bucks each. I don't know if it's regular practice but I did and none of them refused. I have to also add the cost of 4 texts and a call from the driver who picked me up (about 5 dollars in total). Overall, pretty satisfied with the Uber rides.