Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Spending one night in SFO. Need some help and guidance.

Old Jul 31, 16, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, My wife and I are trying to finalize our plans in SFO. We are spending 2 weeks in Thailand, and returning on Cathay Pacific with our long haul flight being HKG-SFO in business class. That flight is more than 12 hours, and flies overnight, so we are planning on sleeping for much of it.

The CX flight arrives in SFO around 9-10pm most nights. We have another flight that leaves by 8am the next morning. We are strongly considering staying overnight in the airport because:

1) it's a long overnight flight, and if we sleep, we likely won't be tired upon arriving in SFO.
2) We generally hate waking up at 5-6am to hurry back through security.

With all that said, we have 3 questions:

1) Can anyone recommend lounge access? I see that most close around midnight and open around 4-5am. Do any now stay open overnight? We have United Club passes, Priority Club access, and we are flying American Airlines first class for the 8am flight. What are the best options when arriving CX business class in the international terminal?

2) Does anyone know if American still flies out of terminal 2, Boarding Area D? If so, do we have the option to remain in the international terminal or transit to the domestic terminal? We have very little international travel experience, so I don't quite know the procedures for international arrivals with domestic departure (the next morning)?

3) If we want to catch a few hours of sleep in the airport, any recommendations at SFO?
Old Jul 31, 16, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
This thread talks a bit about lounges

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...yover-sfo.html

There's also a link in that thread to sleeping in airports.
Old Jul 31, 16, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat-1MM, Hhonors Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Hi,
Can't help with question 1, but question 2 you will come into int'l and leave out of term 2 (on AA). I am pretty sure you can not stay air-side (especially overnight).

I would really recommend getting a hotel room for the night, (if not for just a long hot shower). Lots to choose from, just make sure they have a frequent shuttles.
Old Jul 31, 16, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Another concern is about checked bags. Normally, when landing at any US airport from an international flight, checked bags need to be picked up, then re-checked once you clear customs. At normal times of the day, there would be an AA re-check desk right at the end of the customs hall, but with the late hour I don't know if AA will have an agent on duty.
Old Aug 1, 16, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
Another concern is about checked bags. Normally, when landing at any US airport from an international flight, checked bags need to be picked up, then re-checked once you clear customs. At normal times of the day, there would be an AA re-check desk right at the end of the customs hall, but with the late hour I don't know if AA will have an agent on duty.
No checked bags with us.
Old Aug 1, 16, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...yover-sfo.html

There's also a link in that thread to sleeping in airports.
I don't see much information about the 3 questions asked here. Hoping someone has more information that would be useful.
Old Aug 1, 16, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cashcow View Post
I don't see much information about the 3 questions asked here. Hoping someone has more information that would be useful.
Per your question #3, the thread referenced above includes a useful link to The Guide To Sleeping In Airports | SFO. (I've retitled the link here so it's more obvious why it's pertinent.)

That page also includes references to various lounges' operating hours, which would answer your question #1.

Your question #2 was addressed above, but I'll elaborate on the answer: Yes, AA departs from Terminal 2. Your flight from HKG will arrive at the International Terminal. Per standard US airport procedure you will need to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs, and exit the secure zone of the airport before going anywhere else. There is no way to wait air-side in the International terminal, and there is no way to make an air-side connection to another terminal after arriving on your flight. You will be flushed out to the arrivals hall, and you will have to reenter through security-- in Terminal 2-- for your connecting flight. This will greatly limit your access to lounges.

Note also that while you plan to carry only hand luggage from HKG, any duty-free liquids carried or bought aboard the international flight will need to travel as checked luggage for your connecting domestic flight if they exceed the "3-1-1" rule.
Old Aug 1, 16, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
More on #1 lounges - there are no all-night lounges at SFO. The only Priority Pass lounge (Air France KLM, in International Departures area) will not be accessible from Terminal 2, and in any event does not open until 08:30.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Aug 1, 16 at 3:36 pm
Old Aug 1, 16, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
I added the link to the other thread for reasons shown below

Originally Posted by cashcow View Post
If you are considering sleeping in the airport the site that SanDiego1K referenced is spot on.
Others have answered below as well.
Old Aug 6, 16, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Consider this thread, the closest hotel to SFO

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hotel-sfo.html

Rush off the plane, rush to the hotel, jump in the shower then to bed.
Old Aug 6, 16, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Also see if you can get boarding passes for the next morning's flight and also have the bag tagged for the last destination. You would still need to clear customs but would give the airline the bag back. Note that there is a slightly higher risk of loss this way but not much.
Old Aug 6, 16, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Box10 View Post
Also see if you can get boarding passes for the next morning's flight and also have the bag tagged for the last destination. You would still need to clear customs but would give the airline the bag back. Note that there is a slightly higher risk of loss this way but not much.
The OP stated in post # 5 that there will be no checked bags.
Old Aug 6, 16, 7:19 pm

I'd sure vote for getting a room. You're down by 10, no checked bags, you can be in your room by a little after 11. Print your BPs , if you're not doing mobile, showered and in bed by midnight. With Precheck and no bag drop, I'm comfortable getting to security a hour before departure for domestic, so for me the alarm buzzes at 6. Hot shower and 6 hours of sleep vs bunking in the airport.
There's an Embassy Suite, Hampton Inn, Courtyard all about 10 minutes away. They're all about what you'd expect from those brands.
I'd book through the front desk noting the late check in and shuttle pickup. And check if it's a shared shuttle and stay at the starting point.

Search this Thread