FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   SF spa day for wife's birthday? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1778341-sf-spa-day-wifes-birthday.html)

OliverB Jul 14, 2016 12:33 pm

SF spa day for wife's birthday?

I'm not a spa kind of guy so I really have zero insight into which spas offer the best treatments and services or even what makes for a great spa. Right now, I'm trying to decide between Remede at the St. Regis and Nob Hill Spa at The Huntington. The latter is an easy walk from our apartment and in a prettier location, but that's the extent of my evaluation, ha. I like that I can earn Starpoints with the St. Regis. Ultimately, I'd like to base my decision on the most luxurious and pampering option, both in terms of service and setting. It's a milestone birthday, so I'd really like it to be special. I'd like to book a 90-120 min. "treatment" that's primarily massage focused plus a 90 min. facial, leisurely paced throughout the day with champagne + lunch scheduled inbetween. Presumably, she'd be able to spend as long as she likes before and afterward, enjoying the facilities and amenities. I'd greatly appreciate some input from those who know about this sort of thing. Thanks!

squeakr Jul 14, 2016 1:08 pm

They are both awesome

If it matters the Huntington is a bit tinier - and if it's crowded it feels a LOT tinier - and not quite as relaxing IMHO for that reason.

OliverB Jul 14, 2016 1:12 pm

Thanks, that does matter very much. It sounds like you've been to both -- did you prefer the treatments and service at the St. Regis? What about the space itself, not just in terms of size, but the overall atmosphere?

Her appointment (tentatively booked at St.R) is scheduled on a Tuesday at 11:15 AM and runs approx. 3 hrs with another 45 mins. for lunch in between; essentially a full afternoon.

The one advantage to the Huntington is that they have an outdoor terrace, which should hopefully be nice by end of September, as we move into Indian summer. I wonder if it would get crowded on a Tuesday?

On a side note, I just called the St. Regis and it's not possible to earn Starpoints for any spa services as it's not officially owned by the hotel. I was told earlier that if I called and created a profile with the front guest, it would be possible. Oh well, not a big deal.

Troopers Jul 14, 2016 2:24 pm

I don't think the SF spas are that great...I scoot out of town and head to Napa or Monterey.

squeakr Jul 14, 2016 4:38 pm

The whole atmosphere at the Saint Regis, not just crowning

Originally Posted by OliverB (Post 26916938)
Thanks, that does matter very much. It sounds like you've been to both -- did you prefer the treatments and service at the St. Regis? What about the space itself, not just in terms of size, but the overall atmosphere?

The one advantage to the Huntington is that they have an outdoor terrace, which should hopefully be nice by end of September, as we move into Indian summer. I wonder if it would get crowded on a Tuesday?

I just find the atmosphere at the Saint Regis quieter overall. They're really good about asking people to keep their voices down if for example a group of women are there for a bachelorette party or whatever. The outdoor terrace is tempting though, the Tuesday afternoon probably wouldn't be super crowded.

You know your wife better than we do – would you be more interested in the whole experience, having the outdoor terrace etc. or more pleased with a quieter, more "professional" atmosphere?

I really think you can't go wrong with either place. I just found the Huntington a little expensive for the privacy and quiet I was seeking.