Recommendations for next week...SF is booked solid

Old Jun 11, 16, 6:38 am
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: SPG/Marriott: Plat; Hyatt/Hilton: DIA; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic

Hi all,

Have to make a last minute trip to SF next week, and lordy, downtown and union square is booked solid and/or upwards of $500 a night. (Parc 55 and Hilton are $550+). Only other option is the Hampton Inn, but I've read it's in a sketchy neighborhood (on 6th, in the Mission District)

Don't really want to stay at airport (even those are $300 per). Since I would need to be in the Embarcadero area for work each day.

Even Berkeley is pretty much sold out. I was thinking about either:
1. Fairmount Club in Berkeley but is it worth it (at $400 per)
2. Doubletree Berkeley @ Hilton Marina @ $350 per ....this looked hard to get to and a dump.

Any other thoughts? I'd even go 'off corp' to a nice B&B if I needed to.

Thanks

Last edited by navi_jen; Jun 11, 16 at 6:47 am
Old Jun 11, 16, 6:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
What about in Oakland? Quite a few years back I arrived by train, and the SFO hotels were insanely priced for that one night but reasonable for the rest of the week.

So i stayed in Oakland (Inn at Jack London Square) for one night and then took the ferry to San Francisco (the Ferry Building right at the foot of Embarcadero) the next morning to my hotel for the rest of the week.
Old Jun 11, 16, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The cause of the high rates is the convention and trade show of the National Apartment Association (aimed at companies that manage multiple, large apartment buildings and complexes).

The Jack London idea is a good one. Another possibility is to stay in Walnut Creek, in Contra Costa County. There are Hilton and Marriott properties that sit next to BART, which will take you directly to Embarcadero Station.

Example: the Embassy Suites Walnut Creek has rooms as low as $135 with the current HiltonHHonors sale.
Old Jun 11, 16, 7:35 am
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

All thanks. I was reading up on Jack London, seemed it was a bit dowdy. Is that right? I admit, I've gotten spoiled over the last few years, being upgraded most weeks at SPG and Hilton properties.

Thank you, Non Rev. I looked at the Moscone site, and I couldn't quite figure out how big the convention was...much appreciated. I thought about Walnut Creek. I would like to do some 'Cali' stuff while there, eat in a few nice restaurants. IIRC from past readings, Walnut Creek is sort of a suburban blah kinda place...and it's a long 30 minute haul to the office.

I was thinking about the Inn at San Francisco, but that seems to be in a sketchy neighborhood too. As long as I stay under $350 a night, I'm good.

Keep 'em coming...and thank you.
Old Jun 11, 16, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by navi_jen View Post

Even Berkeley is pretty much sold out. I was thinking about either:
1. Fairmount Club in Berkeley but is it worth it (at $400 per)
2. Doubletree Berkeley @ Hilton Marina @ $350 per ....this looked hard to get to and a dump.
Neither are particularly close to a BART station. You really want to be close to a BART station for transit to Embarcadero Station or to a Ferry Terminal (which also opens up Sausalito and Larkspur).
Old Jun 11, 16, 8:20 am
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

All, thank you..I was able to squeeze in at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza at a really good rate (around $200 per). Of course, it's oversold on Monday, but I'll be checked in already on Sunday night.....fingers crossed.

Thanks all!

Jen
Old Jun 11, 16, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I looked at the Moscone site, and I couldn't quite figure out how big the convention was...much appreciated. I thought about Walnut Creek. I would like to do some 'Cali' stuff while there, eat in a few nice restaurants. IIRC from past readings, Walnut Creek is sort of a suburban blah kinda place...and it's a long 30 minute haul to the office. I was thinking about the Inn at San Francisco, but that seems to be in a sketchy neighborhood too. As long as I stay under $350 a night, I'm good.
If the Moscone calendar doesn't give delegate counts, one trick is to see how many of Moscone's 3 halls are used by a show. Two indicates big all three indicates mega-humungous.

I am using mobile site but went and peeked on the full site and saw you are from Boston. So think of WC like Hingham - nice but not exactly excitement central. You won't find $500 tasting menus like at Saison or Benu, nor ultra trendy places like State Bird Provisions or Cockscomb.

During those dates you'll need to compromise. Maybe eat after work, then back to where your hotel is.

BTW - 30 mins. from downtown to wc is driving time during non-commuteach times. Bart takes 45 minutes from embarcadero to wc.
Old Jun 11, 16, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
All, thank you..I was able to squeeze in at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza at a really good rate (around $200 per). Of course, it's oversold on Monday, but I'll be checked in already on Sunday night.....fingers crossed.

Thanks all!

Jen
Good choice. Lots of good eats within a 15 minute walk range.
Old Jun 12, 16, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Jalinth View Post
So i stayed in Oakland (Inn at Jack London Square) for one night and then took the ferry to San Francisco (the Ferry Building right at the foot of Embarcadero) the next morning to my hotel for the rest of the week.
My wife and I were noticing Inn at Jack London Square recently as we strolled on the waterfront. We were thinking of suggesting it to visitors if SF hotels are in price-gouge mode. It looks like a basic but comfortable place -- AAA gives it two diamonds.

The close proximity to the ferry terminal is a huge plus. The commute across the bay is relaxing and very scenic. Also, Jack London Square has plenty of good restaurants and bars. If you like jazz, Yoshi's is tops.
Old Jun 12, 16, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Airbnb?

Or maybe some hotels in SF that aren't in the usual convention locations. On Lombard. In the presidio. The height? In the sunset....
Old Jun 12, 16, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HSaxa View Post
Airbnb?

Or maybe some hotels in SF that aren't in the usual convention locations. On Lombard. In the presidio. The height? In the sunset....
The issue is that the OP has an office in the Embarcadero Center area, and does not wanot to be too far.

Otherwise, for a more leisure traveler, the suggestions are good.
Old Jun 12, 16, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
The issue is that the OP has an office in the Embarcadero Center area, and does not wanot to be too far.

Otherwise, for a more leisure traveler, the suggestions are good.
sfmuni or uber/lyft will do a great job from any of these neighborhoods to the embarcadero as it does with all the people who live in these hoods that work downtown. Also given that the OP has stated that they'd rather be in an urban environment than walnut creek / jack London sq, the options I provided offer the best of both worlds (if there are vacancies). There are more ways to get to the embarcadero than Bart.

As for airbnb, they may be able to find something downtownish that works for them.
Old Jun 12, 16, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by HSaxa View Post
Also given that the OP has stated that they'd rather be in an urban environment than walnut creek / jack London sq...
Jack London Square is quite urban, but the hotels might be a little less nice than what the OP is looking for.

Other ferry options are in Sausalito and Tiburon (Marin County, north of SF). Both are very nice areas, and that might push the prices above what the OP wants to pay.

OP, on Google Maps you can zoom into the ferry terminals in Sausalito and Tiburon, and then look at the small inns and hotels that are within walking distance.
Old Jun 12, 16, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
OP, on Google Maps you can zoom into the ferry terminals in Sausalito and Tiburon, and then look at the small inns and hotels that are within walking distance.
And also Larkspur, there is a Courtyard in Larkspur Landing near the ferry terminal.
Old Jun 13, 16, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
And also Larkspur, there is a Courtyard in Larkspur Landing near the ferry terminal.
I agree that Larkspur is worth considering. It's the ferry I take most often -- can't beat the scenery en route.

Still, unlike with Tiburon and Sausalito, there is very little of interest within walking distance of the Larkspur ferry terminal. There's a high-end strip mall of sorts across the street, a fondue restaurant, and San Quentin State Prison. Then again, if you're here to visit someone at San Quentin, you can't beat staying in Larkspur.

Search this Thread