Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on? May 17-18

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

What's going on? May 17-18

I was trying to book a room near SFO airport for one night (May 17-18) and it seems either all (chain) hotels are full or are demanding astronomical prices (>$500).

What's going on? Bay to Breakers finishes today (Sunday 5/15) - so what else is going on two days later?
Old May 15, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Participatory road races typically draw locals and do not drive up hotel occupancy (Boston and NY marathons possibly excepted).

So not B2B, the cause is the American Thoracic Society international convention and trade show currently under was at the Moscone center (runs to the 18th).

When attendees cannot book in the areas near the convention center, areas like SF airport get impacted.
Old May 15, 2016, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I saw the ATS conference was going on during the period - but is ATS that big that it fills up not only the city but extends south to the airport and beyond?

After all it is not an Oracle / Apple / Salesforce event...
Old May 15, 2016, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by phoochka
Yes, I saw the ATS conference was going on during the period - but is ATS that big that it fills up not only the city but extends south to the airport and beyond? After all it is not an Oracle / Apple / Salesforce event...
Not as big, but medical conventions tend to have a high number of non-physicans (big pharma, suppliers etc) who come to sell or present.

Also, there are often specialty societies that run their meetings parallel to the main convention.

So if you read that a medical convention has 14,000 delegates as this one does, the number of people needing rooms can be higher.
Old May 15, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One tip for San Francisco: If you see on the Moscone events calendar that a convention is using all three sections of Moscone - north west and south - it's a good-sized show.
Old May 15, 2016, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Participatory road races typically draw locals and do not drive up hotel occupancy (Boston and NY marathons possibly excepted).
Boston and NYC Marathons are very big exceptions to your otherwise valid rule. I don't think any of the SF races have enough draw for out-of-towners to affect hotel prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.