FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Bay to Breakers traffic? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1765809-bay-breakers-traffic.html)

LongingForORD May 13, 2016 7:27 pm

Bay to Breakers traffic?

Hi,
I have a flight on Sunday from SFO, I will be coming from the North Bay, will I have an issue getting over the GG Bridge or thru the park? Flight is at 1:00pm, on a normal Sunday it would take me about 45 from the bridge to the airport. How much Time to allow for this Sunday? I do not see any of the roads I take will be closed (ie: Presidio, 19th Ave, ect..). Anybody know how much time to allow?? Thanks,

dhuey May 13, 2016 10:46 pm

While Presidio/19th will be open, it will probably be barely crawling since it is one of very few places vehicles can cross the course. I would give some serious thought to taking the Richmond and Bay bridges to steer around the mess. It's a longer route in terms of distance, but it might be faster.

dhuey May 13, 2016 10:56 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Road closure/opening schedule. Note how Van Ness won't be open until 12:30 pm. Attachment 9567

Now I'm sure I would take the Richmond & Bay bridges coming from Marin.

SFOPhD May 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 26623475)
Road closure/opening schedule. Note how Van Ness won't be open until 12:30 pm. Attachment 9567

Now I'm sure I would take the Richmond & Bay bridges coming from Marin.

Agreed. Avoid the city before noon.

LongingForORD May 14, 2016 7:05 am

Ok, thanks.

So take 101 to Richmond Bridge and then 80 to Bay Bridge and 80 back to 101? Will I be ok in the City after the Bay Bridge? Stay on 80 or 280 south to 101? Should I plan for more time thru the City, or will I by-pass the race?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am on autopilot and when my airport route changes, I get confused. (I did take this alt route when the GG was closed). Thanks again.

MDtR-Chicago May 14, 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by LongingForORD (Post 26624380)
So take 101 to Richmond Bridge and then 80 to Bay Bridge and 80 back to 101? Will I be ok in the City after the Bay Bridge?

I would be tempted to stay on 80 to 880 to the San Mateo Bridge, then drive back up 101 from there.

Ocn Vw 1K May 14, 2016 9:56 am

I agree with MDtR-Chicago. During many weekends, the Bay Bridge westbound has been crowded even before noon, and its West end is near the start of the race course which could still be crowded with race participants/observers leaving.

Unless you have reliable traffic display software that shows the Bay Bridge Westbound to the City and Southbound 101 traffic moving well through the City, compared to the 880 Southbound flow (they don't call 880 the "Nasty Nimitz" freeway for nothing), I'd go with the 880 S. to the 92 West (San Mateo Bridge). From the 92/101 junction, it's only about 10 mins. North to SFO.

LongingForORD May 14, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks all, I used to do business in Hayward, so I was wondering if it was better to stay on the East Bay till San Mateo Bridge. I will leave early enough, but think it is best to by-pass the city altogether. Thanks!

dhuey May 14, 2016 10:43 am

On your drive, you might want to tune into KCBS (740 AM) and listen to the traffic updates every ten minutes on the "eights" (:08, :18, etc.). If the Bay Bridge isn't slow, that would be faster than San Mateo. And of course there is always the possibility of a problem on the San Mateo bridge.

365RoadWarrior May 14, 2016 10:54 am

I'm traveling Sacramento to SFO for an 8:30AM flight. I really hope I can avoid the San Mateo Bridge, but I'll be on Waze and listening to KCBS.

Eastbay1K May 14, 2016 11:39 am

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 26625079)
On your drive, you might want to tune into KCBS (740 AM) and listen to the traffic updates every ten minutes on the "eights" (:08, :18, etc.). If the Bay Bridge isn't slow, that would be faster than San Mateo. And of course there is always the possibility of a problem on the San Mateo bridge.

If traffic is still showing as "green" or yellowish/green when you depart the north bay, I'd take the Bay Bridge. I would plan on being at the toll plaza no later than 1030. 10 is better. Even if you have a modest amount of congestion, it will still be quicker than going to the SM Bridge, and it would not be uncommon to have issues on 880S. No Giants game here tomorrow.

Note that the Bay Bridge weekend bottleneck typically starts at the 580/80 merge in Albany. Also, typically, by 11AM it is a disaster.

Eastbay1K May 14, 2016 11:45 am

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior (Post 26625121)
I'm traveling Sacramento to SFO for an 8:30AM flight. I really hope I can avoid the San Mateo Bridge, but I'll be on Waze and listening to KCBS.

When? Note that I80 in the Richmond/San Pablo area there are a series of overnight total closures for construction. Check the schedule (days/hours). You might end up best on 680S cutting over to 580W if it is one of those nights. Way out of the way, but better than a closed freeway.

Zorak May 15, 2016 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 26625328)
When? Note that I80 in the Richmond/San Pablo area there are a series of overnight total closures for construction. Check the schedule (days/hours). You might end up best on 680S cutting over to 580W if it is one of those nights. Way out of the way, but better than a closed freeway.

I know it's a moot point now (hope everyone made their flights!) but for future consideration an outside-the-box possibility from Sac is I5 south (or US99 to CA4 to I5) to 205/580 to 92. I live south of 92 and often take this route home from Reno/Tahoe just for variety; I think my GPS says this only costs me 15-20 minutes when I do this. To SFO the penalty would be more like 20-30 minutes (Google Maps says ~30), but if 80 is messed up but 580/92 are clear...

dhuey May 15, 2016 10:41 am

At 9:35 am Pacific time, Google Traffic shows almost solid green for the Richmond and Bay Bridges, and solid green for 880 South and the San Mateo Bridge. So, our OP should be fine.

I'm not sure it's accurate, but the slowdown on Park Presidio though Golden Gate Park and 19th Avenue (nearly the only north-south crossing in San Francisco right now), looks tolerable. Dark red from Anza through the park, but otherwise okay.

Perhaps this is one of those situations where the locals are so spooked by the possibility of epic gridlock that they stay away in such numbers that there isn't much traffic.

FlyinHawaiian May 16, 2016 5:49 am

I needed to get from San Ramon to SFO yesterday morning and decided to avoid the city. I left at 11am and took the San Mateo to 101 north. Traffic was great and I made it in just about 45 minutes.