Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

United (Terminal 3) to JetBlue (International Terminal) transfer time with luggage?

United (Terminal 3) to JetBlue (International Terminal) transfer time with luggage?

Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

Hi - apologies if this is a duplicate -- I did try searching a lot of Google and am not finding this specific question.

I'd like to try JetBlue's Mint product but it doesn't yet go LAX-BOS (that'll be in October, looks like). So instead, I booked it SFO-BOS in August and now need to plan to get myself from Los Angeles to SFO. JetBlue doesn't fly that (they only seem to do LGB-SFO and it would be a 4+ hour layover at SFO).

Instead, I'm thinking of taking UA LAX-SFO and then B6 SFO-BOS in Mint. As I understand it, that means flying into Terminal 3 and out of International Terminal A. And unfortunately due to the length of the trip I'll have checked bags, and UA does not interline with B6.

So it sounds like I'm setting myself up for flying into SFO, collecting checked bag, transiting T3->Int'l A, rechecking bags, and going through security. Anyone have any sense of how long I should leave for this whole process? My departure on JetBlue is 930p -- arriving at 8pm on UA (1.5 hour connection time) seems perhaps too tight; arriving at 645pm (2.75 hours connection time) seems annoyingly long but so be it. If you think I need even more time than that, we're getting to the point where I guess I should just take JetBlue from LGB and keep myself busy at SFO for 3.75 hours.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(1) Expect schedule changes between now and August either on B6 or UA, so you might want to wait until you book LAX/SFO.

(2) I'd allow no less than 3 hours, primarily because of bag drop cutoffs. You'll probably have your UA bag within 30 minutes of arrival, and then have a 10+ minute walk to the B6 bag drop off.

(3) In the case of UA IRROPS (weather / low ceilings @ SFO), the short hops are the first to suffer delays.

(4) If you have Priority Pass, there's an AF lounge in the A gates where you can pass the time.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Thanks very much. All very good points.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:19 am

You should have plenty of time arriving SFO at 6:45pm. Flying in Mint, you'll be able to check in bags quickly in the dedicated line, and get past security quickly with expedited screening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.