Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Amusement outside security at SFO?

Old Mar 26, 16, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats

A friend of mine is stuck at SFO waiting for a filial unit who flight is delayed.

Any suggestions as to what she can do or look for over the next 4.5 hours for amusement?
Old Mar 26, 16, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Take the Aloft shuttle over to the hotel then walk to In-N-Out Burger for a gustatory experience without equal.

There's a quiet prayer room type place over at the Int'l terminal near the BART station if she wants to relax.
Old Mar 26, 16, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Thanks, passed it on. She mentioned hunger just as you were posting that.

Appears the delay is now another 6 hours, filial unit's ETA is now 1:30 a.m.
Old Mar 26, 16, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Don't people check flight status before heading out to the airport? Also, didn't the filial unit apprise the parental unit of the delay??

Regardless, my recommendation would be the Elephant Bar near SFO.
Old Mar 26, 16, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
Regardless, my recommendation would be the Elephant Bar near SFO.
They have a great happy hour...not sure about a late night happy hour though.
Old Mar 27, 16, 12:03 am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the In-n-Out stays open later than the Elephant Bar.

If you keep going south from the Elephant Bar, there's a place called Leanne's that's decidedly mediocre, but open 24 hours.

If you want someplace open 24 hours that's actually good(ish), your best bet is going down to Heidi's Pies in San Mateo, on El Camino Real. (It's not that long a drive, and the pie is good.)

Oh, yeah--there's also a 24 hour doughnut shop at California and Burlingame Ave. in Burlingame. They start putting the fresh ones out around 10 or 11 PM. There may be a stray bar or two open late on Burlingame Ave., but don't count on it.

Last edited by fwoomp; Mar 27, 16 at 12:09 am Reason: More stuff!
Old Mar 27, 16, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Don't people check flight status before heading out to the airport?
I doubt the mother has ever flown domestically, might also have been the daughter's first domestic flight. Not everyone is a reflection of us, having experienced those delays ourselves many times over.

She learned a few tricks tonight, e.g. checking flight status with Google & monitoring flights with FlightAware.

Also, didn't the filial unit apprise the parental unit of the delay??
The maternal unit was on a bus to SFO about the same time the paternal unit was delivering the filial unit to LAS.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Mar 27, 16 at 10:33 am
Old Mar 27, 16, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P

San Francisco soup co!
Old Mar 30, 16, 2:50 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Whatever, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
If I had 6 hours I'd definitely BART to Mission or the Tenderloin.
Old Mar 30, 16, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there are some museum-like display cases in the check in area of the international terminal at SFO. I think there might be an actual tiny museum with old airline uniforms, etc. with limited hours near the walkway toward other terminals, in the upper left corner as you're facing the check in counters.

For so many hours and obviously no car, I'd take BART into San Francisco and do something, but only in the relatively safe areas of the city if she stays there well into the evening. I wouldn't advise Mission or the Tenderloin, but perhaps Union Square. She should also check the schedule for getting back to the airport tonight. BART trains to SFO might become infrequent or stop running late at night.

The kid was on a very delayed flight. What happened and how did he manage? I hope he was taken care of well as an official UM.
Old Mar 30, 16, 6:05 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
If I had 6 hours I'd definitely BART to Mission or the Tenderloin.
Not me. Not with BART's on-time record and increasing problems from its aging infrastructure.

Am In-N-Out run and some time spent with the displays at SFO would be my choice.

Whenever non-frequent-flyer family members fly, I also always make sure they have a lounge pass in their wallets or purses. Cheap insurance.

Search this Thread