Wiki Posts
Search

Monterey to SFO early morning

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Monterey to SFO early morning

In a few weeks, I have business meetings in Monterey until late Monday and then an 8 AM flight Tuesday. For various reasons, I am going to stay in Monterey and then drive up to SFO early Tuesday. And, yes, I know that I should just go up late at night, but it doesn't work for a number of reasons.

What kind of traffic would I see on the 280 North around 6 AM? How much extra time should I budget over the 2 hour traffic-free drive?

Alternatively, would it be better to take PCH all the way to Half Moon Bay and cut over?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If it were my trip, I would leave Monterey no later than 4 am. You need to leave time to drop off the rental car as well as morning traffic and busy time at the airport. Taking highway 1 (not called PCH this far north) is much longer. Take 68 to Salinas and pick up 101 there. If you have access to traffic reports, you can choose between 101 and 280 as 101 is a little shorter.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:33 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Completely concur re the time to leave by.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by JerryFF
You need to leave time to drop off the rental car...
Good point. The rental car center at SFO is well-designed (nice Air Train connection to the terminals), but the car return process at any airport the size of SFO take much time. It's not like smaller airports where it can be as little as 5 minutes from car return to airline check-in counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.