Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Official SFO terminal map
Check the official SFO airlines listing to see which concourse your airline generally arrives/departs from.

Gate numbers at SFO now include both the concourse letter and the gate number, starting over at 1 for each concourse. Prior to Oct 16, 2019 gates were simply numbered 1-102 starting from 1 in the A concourse through 102 in the G concourse.

SFO has 2 main airside zones:

1. International Terminal A, Gates A1-A15 and Terminal 1 (Harvey Milk), Concourse B, Gates B1-B27

[Note that there is a short airside corridor between the A and B Concourses. You can enter security from A and go to B gates, and vice versa. The AirTrain station at Terminal 1-B is temporarily closed as of 9-22-21.]

Airside Lounges in International-A:
  • Cathay Pacific (near A1) - TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Japan Airlines Sakura (near A1)
  • Emirates (between A2-6) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Air France/KLM (near A1) - also accessible to Priority Pass holders departing International Terminal A (access may be restricted at certain hours)
  • British Airways (between A5-9) (FT Thread) - includes a First Class section inside
  • China Airlines (near A1) (recent TR w/photo link)
  • Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Lounge (near A1) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Virgin Atlantic Club House (near A1) - also accesible to AMEX Platinum/Centurion cardholders
Airside Lounges in Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk):
  • American Airlines Admirals Club (near B13)
[CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Both the airside and landside corridors between International-A and Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk) are now open. It's about a five-minute walk between terminals.] Closure info from flysfo.com

2. Terminal 2, Concourses C and D, Terminal 3, Concourses E and F and International Terminal G, Gates C2-C11, D1-D18, E1-E13, F1-F22, and G1-G14
(as of November 1, 2019 gate C1 is planned for some point in the future)

[Note that there are short airside corridors between the C and D Concourses, the D and E Concourses, and the F and G Concourses. You can enter security from C, D, E, F, or G Concourses and go to gates in any of this group of Concourses.]

Airside Lounges:
Landside SkyTerrace open Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon 10a-6p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

Priority Pass eligible restaurants. [Note that PP card issued via American Express Platinum does not include "restaurant lounges"]: There is an outdoor viewing deck (post-security) in terminal G open daily 7a-11:30p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

It's possible to walk between gates in a single zone, but going from one zone to another requires clearing security. Several FTers have reported resistance from BP checkers and TSA agents when you try to enter a concourse that is not connected airside to your departure gate. They are mistaken; you can use a same day boarding pass departing SFO at any of the security checkpoints. Press the issue (politely), and you'll get in.

The landside connector between B and C is currently closed due to construction. To go between these two terminals you either need to go upstairs and take the AirTrain, or go down into the parking garage where you can walk freely (on well-marked pedestrian crosswalks) between terminals as well (pictures for walking in the garage can be found in post 512)

If you're arriving from an international destination, unless it's one of the pre-clearance airports, you'll have to clear Customs and Immigration at SFO and then need a departing boarding pass to clear security. SFO has the typical baggage re-check counters right after Customs for connecting passengers. They are usually open, but if closed, you'll need to lug your luggage to the regular domestic check-in counter of your connecting airline.

There's an AirTrain that runs between terminals (including the two parking garages connected to either side of the International Terminal) and the rental car center. AirTrain now has a stop at the long term parking lot. There is one on-airport hotel, a Grand Hyatt, accessible via the AirTrain. Personally, if forum regulars rob_flies_ua and dhuey need to connect between secure zones with only carry-ons, they just walk between terminals instead of waiting for the train. Returnoftheyeti and makfan will walk from BART to all terminals as well.

BART is the local regional commuter rail. The BART station is located on the north side of the airport, adjacent to International Terminal G. You can exit the paid area in two locations. One is by going up an escalator in the middle of the station and then connecting to the air train. You can also walk to the end of the station. Upon exiting you will be in the International terminal, near the chapel. A one-way ticket from SFO to downtown is $9.65.

For things to do on your layover in SFO, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...d-threads.html
Outside of the secure zone, but adjacent to International Terminal G is the SFO Museum

Renovation of Boarding Area C will include a connector to T1-B and is expected to be completed by 2024, following which the entire airport will be connected airside (however going from A to G would require passing through B, C, D, E and F).

AirTrain Map:

As the map shows, Red Line runs clockwise; Blue Line runs counterclockwise. The mistake to avoid is getting on the Blue Line and heading off to the rental car center and long term parking lot when you were only trying to go from one terminal to another (e.g., don't take Blue when you want to go from International-G to Terminal 1). CAUTION: recently when arriving in the late evening, the red line has been closed, and only the blue line is operating but in the opposite direction from the arrows show. Keep an eye out for "sandwich board" signs on the platform, and pay attention to the overhead video screens by the boarding doors for accurate real-time directional info.
Print Wikipost

Connecting in SFO

Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:01 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dhuey
There is an airside hallway that takes you from T3 to International-A near gate 75.
From T3 to International-G
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
From T3 to International-G
Whoops! Sorry about that, folks. Thanks for the correction.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:36 am

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
I would just walk, briskly. The international terminal is connected to Terminal 3, which is closer to the G concourse. Just make sure to follow the signs or you may end up in Terminal 1. There is a TSA security check where the two terminals connect.

"Onward passengers should exit the Arrivals Hall through the doors marked "Connecting Flights." Passengers may recheck baggage that is tagged to its final destination at the Baggage Desks located outside of the exit. If an agent is not available, or baggage is not tagged to its final destination, passengers should visit their airline's ticket counter.

Please note connecting passengers exit into the airport's public area and are required to clear security prior to boarding their next flight. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has information about the security checkpoint process.

Passengers may transfer between terminals by walking or riding AirTrain, SFO's automated terminal transit system."
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:26 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk, komtravels! Am I correct in guessing that your daughter's itinerary is on a single airline or a single ticket with a codeshare flight? If so, I would tell her not to sweat it if she has a substantial delay on the inbound flight. SFO-LAX service is very frequent, so even if she misses her connection, she'll probably have no difficulty getting on the next flight after.

DataJunkie has great advice, above.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
"Passengers may transfer between terminals by walking or riding AirTrain, SFO's automated terminal transit system."
I know this was just a quote from the website, but to be clear, she should NOT catch the Airtrain for this connection!

After exiting customs they will point her in the direction of "connecting flights". If she's arrived on a Star Alliance (ie, international wing G) airline that'll be to the left of customs. From most other airlines (International wing A), to the right. She'll then go through some glass sliding doors, at which point she should turn LEFT to get to the United baggage re-checked area. Presuming her bags were tagged all the way through to LAX she can simply drop them at the re-check area.

Then keep going straight and turn right, following the signs to Terminal 3. Very shortly she'll come to a security area - do NOT join that line. Keep walking to the far side of that security entrance and she'll find the Pre-Check entry. Presuming she's already dropped her bags, she should enter there. If not, keep walking a little to the check-in counters to check the bags, then return to security. Once through security, turn RIGHT to get to the gates.

Presuming she has bags, 90 minutes is doable but tight - it all just depends on how long it takes for her bags to come out. Without bags it won't be an issue. But as others have said, if she does misconnected just go to a United counter/service desk/etc and they will put her onto a later flight.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:32 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
I stated in my response that they should walk.

Originally Posted by docbert
I know this was just a quote from the website, but to be clear, she should NOT catch the Airtrain for this connection!

After exiting customs they will point her in the direction of "connecting flights". If she's arrived on a Star Alliance (ie, international wing G) airline that'll be to the left of customs. From most other airlines (International wing A), to the right. She'll then go through some glass sliding doors, at which point she should turn LEFT to get to the United baggage re-checked area. Presuming her bags were tagged all the way through to LAX she can simply drop them at the re-check area.

Then keep going straight and turn right, following the signs to Terminal 3. Very shortly she'll come to a security area - do NOT join that line. Keep walking to the far side of that security entrance and she'll find the Pre-Check entry. Presuming she's already dropped her bags, she should enter there. If not, keep walking a little to the check-in counters to check the bags, then return to security. Once through security, turn RIGHT to get to the gates.

Presuming she has bags, 90 minutes is doable but tight - it all just depends on how long it takes for her bags to come out. Without bags it won't be an issue. But as others have said, if she does misconnected just go to a United counter/service desk/etc and they will put her onto a later flight.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:08 pm

BKK-NRT-SFO-YYC.

NRT-SFO on NH and SFO-YYC on AC. It's been a year since I've transited thru SFO.

I'm trying to remember: do I have to pick up my luggage at SFO and re-check and go thru security?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by seks
BKK-NRT-SFO-YYC.

NRT-SFO on NH and SFO-YYC on AC. It's been a year since I've transited thru SFO.

I'm trying to remember: do I have to pick up my luggage at SFO and re-check and go thru security?
Yes. Every international arrival must go through immigration and then security for next flight. Most US airports require you to claim and re-drop your luggage for int'l-int'l flights. There are a few exceptions. SFO is not yet one of them.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yes. Every international arrival must go through immigration and then security for next flight.
Well, MOST international arrivals, not all due to pre-clearance. Most flights from Canada, Ireland (Shannon, Dublin), Abu Dhabi and a few others will arrive as domestic arrivals, with no need to clear immigration, security or customs, and no need to collect bags.

(Presuming no changing of terminals is required, bags checked through, etc)
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Most flights from Canada, Ireland (Shannon, Dublin), Abu Dhabi and a few others will arrive as domestic arrivals, with no need to clear immigration, security or customs, and no need to collect bags.
It looks like that pre-clearance list is likely to grow quite a bit in the coming years. Good news for all.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
NRT-SFO-YVR on UA/UX

Have GE/Pre√ but picking up oversized bags (skis and a box)

80 minutes connection time. Am I guaranteed to miss this one?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:29 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Not guaranteed...

There’s a slight possibility that the flight to Vancouver will also leave from the international terminal… Not a great possibility but occasionally.

Originally Posted by onthesam
NRT-SFO-YVR on UA/UX

Have GE/Pre√ but picking up oversized bags (skis and a box)

80 minutes connection time. Am I guaranteed to miss this one?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
There’s a slight possibility that the flight to Vancouver will also leave from the international terminal… Not a great possibility but occasionally.
I suspect that's the UX flight (Skywest) in which case I believe it'll always leave from terminal 3.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Looking for some advice.

Is a connection from T3 to International G doable in 2.5 hours?

I'll be on an OZ flight departing SFO at 11:30pm and am considering a UA flight scheduled to arrive at SFO T3 at 9pm. While the flights will be on 2 separate tickets, I'll be able to interline my luggage and get the boarding pass for my OZ flight when checking in for the UA flight.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by sol95
Looking for some advice.

Is a connection from T3 to International G doable in 2.5 hours?

I'll be on an OZ flight departing SFO at 11:30pm and am considering a UA flight scheduled to arrive at SFO T3 at 9pm. While the flights will be on 2 separate tickets, I'll be able to interline my luggage and get the boarding pass for my OZ flight when checking in for the UA flight.

Thanks in advance.
Easy as cake, assuming no bad flight delays. I would check the schedule to see if the incoming flight is normally on time. Certain UA evening flights are sometimes delayed by weather or ATC. Even with a 1 hour delay you would be fine. You can hike from the farthest gate in UA T3 to the International Terminal in about 10-15 minutes and you will not have to clear security again (assuming your luggage is checked through).
dhuey likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.