Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Official SFO terminal map
Check the official SFO airlines listing to see which concourse your airline generally arrives/departs from.

Gate numbers at SFO now include both the concourse letter and the gate number, starting over at 1 for each concourse. Prior to Oct 16, 2019 gates were simply numbered 1-102 starting from 1 in the A concourse through 102 in the G concourse.

SFO has 2 main airside zones:

1. International Terminal A, Gates A1-A15 and Terminal 1 (Harvey Milk), Concourse B, Gates B1-B27

[Note that there is a short airside corridor between the A and B Concourses. You can enter security from A and go to B gates, and vice versa. The AirTrain station at Terminal 1-B is temporarily closed as of 9-22-21.]

Airside Lounges in International-A:
  • Cathay Pacific (near A1) - TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Japan Airlines Sakura (near A1)
  • Emirates (between A2-6) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Air France/KLM (near A1) - also accessible to Priority Pass holders departing International Terminal A (access may be restricted at certain hours)
  • British Airways (between A5-9) (FT Thread) - includes a First Class section inside
  • China Airlines (near A1) (recent TR w/photo link)
  • Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Lounge (near A1) TEMPORARILY CLOSED AS OF 9/22/21
  • Virgin Atlantic Club House (near A1) - also accesible to AMEX Platinum/Centurion cardholders
Airside Lounges in Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk):
  • American Airlines Admirals Club (near B13)
[CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Both the airside and landside corridors between International-A and Terminal 1-B (Harvey Milk) are now open. It's about a five-minute walk between terminals.] Closure info from flysfo.com

2. Terminal 2, Concourses C and D, Terminal 3, Concourses E and F and International Terminal G, Gates C2-C11, D1-D18, E1-E13, F1-F22, and G1-G14
(as of November 1, 2019 gate C1 is planned for some point in the future)

[Note that there are short airside corridors between the C and D Concourses, the D and E Concourses, and the F and G Concourses. You can enter security from C, D, E, F, or G Concourses and go to gates in any of this group of Concourses.]

Airside Lounges:
Landside SkyTerrace open Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon 10a-6p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

Priority Pass eligible restaurants. [Note that PP card issued via American Express Platinum does not include "restaurant lounges"]: There is an outdoor viewing deck (post-security) in terminal G open daily 7a-11:30p: (FlySFO) (FT Thread)

It's possible to walk between gates in a single zone, but going from one zone to another requires clearing security. Several FTers have reported resistance from BP checkers and TSA agents when you try to enter a concourse that is not connected airside to your departure gate. They are mistaken; you can use a same day boarding pass departing SFO at any of the security checkpoints. Press the issue (politely), and you'll get in.

The landside connector between B and C is currently closed due to construction. To go between these two terminals you either need to go upstairs and take the AirTrain, or go down into the parking garage where you can walk freely (on well-marked pedestrian crosswalks) between terminals as well (pictures for walking in the garage can be found in post 512)

If you're arriving from an international destination, unless it's one of the pre-clearance airports, you'll have to clear Customs and Immigration at SFO and then need a departing boarding pass to clear security. SFO has the typical baggage re-check counters right after Customs for connecting passengers. They are usually open, but if closed, you'll need to lug your luggage to the regular domestic check-in counter of your connecting airline.

There's an AirTrain that runs between terminals (including the two parking garages connected to either side of the International Terminal) and the rental car center. AirTrain now has a stop at the long term parking lot. There is one on-airport hotel, a Grand Hyatt, accessible via the AirTrain. Personally, if forum regulars rob_flies_ua and dhuey need to connect between secure zones with only carry-ons, they just walk between terminals instead of waiting for the train. Returnoftheyeti and makfan will walk from BART to all terminals as well.

BART is the local regional commuter rail. The BART station is located on the north side of the airport, adjacent to International Terminal G. You can exit the paid area in two locations. One is by going up an escalator in the middle of the station and then connecting to the air train. You can also walk to the end of the station. Upon exiting you will be in the International terminal, near the chapel. A one-way ticket from SFO to downtown is $9.65.

For things to do on your layover in SFO, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...d-threads.html
Outside of the secure zone, but adjacent to International Terminal G is the SFO Museum

Renovation of Boarding Area C will include a connector to T1-B and is expected to be completed by 2024, following which the entire airport will be connected airside (however going from A to G would require passing through B, C, D, E and F).

AirTrain Map:

As the map shows, Red Line runs clockwise; Blue Line runs counterclockwise. The mistake to avoid is getting on the Blue Line and heading off to the rental car center and long term parking lot when you were only trying to go from one terminal to another (e.g., don't take Blue when you want to go from International-G to Terminal 1). CAUTION: recently when arriving in the late evening, the red line has been closed, and only the blue line is operating but in the opposite direction from the arrows show. Keep an eye out for "sandwich board" signs on the platform, and pay attention to the overhead video screens by the boarding doors for accurate real-time directional info.
Print Wikipost

Connecting in SFO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That should still allow plenty of time. Not that things can't happen, but your longhaul arrival will be given landing priority during any inclement weather, you've got a 3+ hour connection on a US Passport, and the odds of a delayed SFO/LAX are high in January, plus there are frequent flights available if you miss one.
Agree. Our flight (identical) was delayed an hour but still would have been plenty of time for the connection. Very safe.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Thanks for the reassurance!
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:41 am

SFO transit 2 hours for parents

Hi, my parents will be visiting US the first time where their port of entry is at the SFO. From SFO, they will be getting on their domestic flight by United airlines after 2 hours of transit. I am wondering if it is doable for them. I have seen in FLL, there is a jetblue counter for bag recheck-in just after getting out of the immigration, so I didn't have to walk very long with two heavy luggage. Is it the same for the SFO?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Alaska, BA, Air Canada, Delta
Originally Posted by theshaun
Will be connecting through SFO to SYD originating in YVR. Arriving on AC to international G gates and departing international A gates. I understand that I will have to leave the secured area and go through security again. I have about 1 hour and 40 min. is this enough time?
Our situation will be similar. We will travel from YVR to CNS via SFO with a stopover in MEL. I would be interested to know how the transfer at SFO from AC went. Because of impossible hurdles getting a business seat award ticket for the whole way from YVR to Cairns with a stopover in MEL, we opted for two award tickets: one for YVR-SFO economy on Westjet using Airmiles, and another for SFO-MEL(stopover)-CNS in business using Alaska miles. The Westjet flight is code-shared with Qantas so I have a have a very small hope we might be able to check bags through from YVR to MEL, but I think it unlikely, maybe because the Westjet arrival is treated as domestic because US preclearance will be done at YVR. What was your experience?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSilvy
Hi, my parents will be visiting US the first time where their port of entry is at the SFO. From SFO, they will be getting on their domestic flight by United airlines after 2 hours of transit. I am wondering if it is doable for them. I have seen in FLL, there is a jetblue counter for bag recheck-in just after getting out of the immigration, so I didn't have to walk very long with two heavy luggage. Is it the same for the SFO?
Depending on the time of day that's a connection that could take anywhere between about 30 minutes and 3+ hours. It all depends on what the line at immigration is like when they arrive, and to a lesser extent the line at security. (I'm presuming that they will have baggage, and are not coming in from somewhere like Canada with pre-clearance).

They will need to go through immigration (5 mins to 2+ hours), collect bags (most likely no wait, unless they got through immigration quickly) and drop them at the re-check (which is right outside the area where they collect them - maybe 150 yards from pickup to dropoff). They will then need to walk to the United Domestic terminal which is only a few minutes, go through security (5-15+ minutes), and then get to their gate at least ~20 minutes before departure time.

So yes, it's doable - but with a real chance they won't make it. Presuming it's all one ticket United will rebook them on a later flight if they miss their connection, but will not cover things like hotel if it's needed unless there was an (excessive) delay caused by United.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by fnorman
Our situation will be similar. We will travel from YVR to CNS via SFO with a stopover in MEL. I would be interested to know how the transfer at SFO from AC went. Because of impossible hurdles getting a business seat award ticket for the whole way from YVR to Cairns with a stopover in MEL, we opted for two award tickets: one for YVR-SFO economy on Westjet using Airmiles, and another for SFO-MEL(stopover)-CNS in business using Alaska miles. The Westjet flight is code-shared with Qantas so I have a have a very small hope we might be able to check bags through from YVR to MEL, but I think it unlikely, maybe because the Westjet arrival is treated as domestic because US preclearance will be done at YVR. What was your experience?
As it turns out, my YVR to SFO flight was delayed so that I would have missed my connection, so they rebooked me on YVR to SYD direct which departed later that evening so my arrival to SYD was only about an hour later than originally scheduled.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:18 am

Hi all,

I am flying in/out SFO on DL Domestic so it's all at Terminal 1. Is it possible to walk/AirTrain while at airside to International A/G since I want to meet a friend who is flying out of the country? I do have a same-day departure boarding pass if I have to get to landside, can I use it to clear International terminal security? Will security say no since it's a Domestic pass? Thank you all in advance!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by AutoModerator
Hi all,

I am flying in/out SFO on DL Domestic so it's all at Terminal 1. Is it possible to walk/AirTrain while at airside to International A/G since I want to meet a friend who is flying out of the country? I do have a same-day departure boarding pass if I have to get to landside, can I use it to clear International terminal security? Will security say no since it's a Domestic pass? Thank you all in advance!
No airside connection between T1 and INTL terminal. INTL terminal concourses A and G are not even connected airside.

Airtrain is landside.

You can use your boarding pass to clear INTL, but plan accordingly, as you will have to reclear T1.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Would anyone give this a go given the runway construction:
- Arriving on AC (G terminal) @ 21:15
- Departing on QF (A terminal) @ 22:25

Carry-on only
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shuuy

Carry-on only
I would not do that even without construction and with precheck. The walk is not bad but You will have to clear security. Any delays and you miss the only flight of the day to Australia?? Or is there a backup option.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Carry-on only
One ticket or separate tickets?

I am guessing separate. Any slight delay you would miss your QF flight. QF has no responsibility to re-accommodate you.

While G and A concourses are both in the INTL terminal, they are not connected airside. As explained, you would need to reclear security.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
While G and A concourses are both in the INTL terminal, they are not connected airside. As explained, you would need to reclear security.
So is it doable within 70 minutes?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is it doable within 70 minutes?
It's actually less than 70 minutes, given QF will close boarding door prior to scheduled departure time.

Is it doable? Sure, if everything lines up in your favor. Is it sensible? Absolutely not, especially if AC and QF are separate tickets.
dhuey and Boraxo like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:46 pm

Hello, just wanted some advice on whether or not connection is possible.
My flight times keep changing and I only have 1 hour and 20 minutes to make my connecting flight.
Flight is from SNA-SFO-HND booked through JAL, but SNA-SFO will be through Alaska Airlines. It is on 1 itinerary.

I will be arriving at SFO at 12:55 PM and my flight to HND is at 2:15 PM

From looking through flight history the SNA-SFO flight usually lands in Terminal 2 for Alaska Airlines (JL5459)
and the SFO-HND flight usually leaves at international for JAL (JL1)

From what I understand I will have to go from Terminal 2 (through Terminal 3) to International and head towards A gates as that is where JAL usually leaves from. I also have to go through security again.

I have TSA PreCheck/Global Entry. Is this cutting it too close or am I being overly cautious. Thank you for any insight.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

80 minutes is fine if your first flight is on time - otherwise you are pushing your luck. Assume 10 minutes to get off the plane, 15 minutes to walk through the terminal and around to the International terminal. 5-10 minutes to clear security with pre-check. So that's at least 30 minutes which gets you to the gate when the plane is boarding (50 minutes before pushoff).

Did you check the Alaska flight arrival record for the past 2 weeks? If it is consistently delayed then obviously this won't work. Things should be better in 2 weeks (by end of Sept) when the runway construction is done, but it is still a tight connection. On the plus side, 12:55 is a good time to arrive, delays tend to cascade in the afternoon and evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.