Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

SJC to OAK area--rent car, train/bus or use Uber?

Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

Three of us will be spending 2.5 days in OAK area in Nov. and don't really need a car. But we need to get from SJC to a hotel near OAK (seeing a Raider football game, etc).

Car rentals are showing $150 range and Uber says $75-$85 for the one way 35 mile trip. About the same price r/t but no worries about damage to rental car and more relaxing.

Is there a public transport option for the 3 of us that makes sense?

We'll be arriving SJC abt 10am on a Sat. so traffic shouldn't be horrible. Returning to SJC on a Monday afternoon. ca. 2pm.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:52 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Any public transport is going to take forever.

But it's definitely possible. San Jose bus to Caltrain, Caltrain to BART, BART to the coliseum stop, and then the BART coliseum train to the airport? There's all kind of depends on how close to the airport in Oakland your hotel actually is. If you're going to downtown Oakland, it may be a bit easier. But still quite time-consuming all the way around.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Unfortunately the south bay doesn't have as many transportation options as between Oakland and SF. Most people in Oakland drive to San Jose.

If you really want to drag you luggage on buses, (and with El Nińo it'll prob be raining in Nov) you can see the public transportation options using the trip planner at 511.org. Optimally, it'll take 1.5 - 2 hours with at least 3 transfers. I generally hate anything with more than 2 transfers as it just increases the chance you'll miss a connection and be thrown completely off schedule. On the weekends, the wait for the next one could be 30 minutes.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Consider UBER to/from the end of the BART line. Also consider the price of BART fare for 3 if it makes sense to bother with BART. See if your OAK hotel will pick you up from Coliseum BART, because if they make you go to the Airport for pick up, the BART fare will skyrocket (by $18 for the 3 of you).
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd keep an eye on car rentals; I'd bet you can find one cheaper at some point.

Taking Caltrain then BART will be a PITA, and I've found the bus from Caltrain to SJC to be irregular at times.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good ideas. I will look at your suggestions and keep an eye on car rental prices. The hotel is the Hampton Inn (Alameda) near OAK. They said they had a shuttle to the Coliseum.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
Thanks for all the good ideas. I will look at your suggestions and keep an eye on car rental prices. The hotel is the Hampton Inn (Alameda) near OAK. They said they had a shuttle to the Coliseum.
If you are staying there and have any other outings (i.e., even to eat) planned in addition to the game, you will want a car.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:47 am

Rent. That Hampton inn is on Bay Farm Island. Bay Farm Island is basically a golf course and an office park. After 5pm there is nothing in any direction for 5 miles. NOTHING.

Parking in the Oakland, Alameda area is pretty easy. Public transportation, not so much. Even with the rental car you can park at Colosseum Bart for free and walk into the game.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:41 am

Yeah, Alameda is NOT near OAK

in the way most of us understand " near"
And have you tried

Www.Carrentals.com

?

Last edited by squeakr; Jun 27, 2015 at 11:42 am Reason: link
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:07 pm

delete
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
R
Parking in the Oakland, Alameda area is pretty easy. Public transportation, not so much. Even with the rental car you can park at Colosseum Bart for free and walk into the game.
Nevertheless, if the hotel offers a shuttle to the Coliseum (for the game), that remains your best bet.

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Jun 27, 2015 at 12:23 pm
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You can take Amtrak's Capitol Corridor from San Jose to Oakland or even from Santa Clara - Great America if that's easier.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Maybe I'm confused but my Hampton Inn is "Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport-Alameda", is <2 miles from the airport I believe. But it does look like there is nothing around as far as restaurants and pubs go. A car is looking more desirable. Thanks. Yes, they have a shuttle to the Coliseum.

And, yes, I've checked all the online car rental sites and carrentals.com is a little cheaper. Thanks.

Last edited by philemer; Jun 27, 2015 at 6:06 pm
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:06 pm

The Hampton Inn is more like 4 miles from OAK

Not a big deal but I don't consider it too near. Alameda is a world away. In a good sense.

And Amtrak does NOT got to the Airport in San Jose - you'd take a bus to Amtrak, then Amtrak to Oakland then another bus to Alameda.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I'm confused but my Hampton Inn is "Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport-Alameda", is <2 miles from the airport I believe. But it does look like there is nothing around as far as restaurants and pubs go. A car is looking more desirable. Thanks. Yes, they have a shuttle to the Coliseum.

And, yes, I've checked all the online car rental sites and carrentals.com is a little cheaper. Thanks.
If you could walk to the end of the runway from the hotel, it would be a very short walk. If you could fly from the hotel to the terminal directly, the 2 miles might be spot on. Since you need to take public roads to the terminal, it is nearly 4 miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.