Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Latest on airside terminal connection and lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

I read several threads but it seems some info may be outdated, so I am asking for the latest.

I am traveling in April, will arrive on CX in the international T, with a domestic connection on US Airways (T1, looks like).

1. Do I have to re-clear security?

2. Best way to go from int'l to T1? (walk vs train, airside if possible)

3. Is T1 connected to any other T?

4. As the connecting flight is a red eye, I would love to shower during layover. I have access to Centurion Lounge, which I understand is in T3, which I understand is connected to the int'l T, so I could walk there airside? Is it feasible with a 2hr layover? I also have access to UC via daypass, but I don't believe they have shower.

[Edit] I also have access to Admirals Club in T2, which it says has a shower. It's open till midnight, while Centurion only till 11pm, and my flight arrives 10:15, so Centurion may be out.

Last edited by italdesign; Jan 19, 2015 at 8:18 am
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
CX arrives in the International Terminal A, which is not connected to International Terminal G or any of the Domestic Terminals. You will have to go through Immigration, collect your bags and go through Customs, which will leave you landside.

It's then only a short walk to Terminal 1 (the closest one) and it's faster walking than taking the train. Terminal 1 is not connected to other terminals airside (perhaps Terminal 2, I'm not sure) but certainly not Terminal 3, to which you will not have access.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You are best walking. It is a relatively short walk (to the right). T-1 has two sections - the 20s/30s gates, and the 40s gates. The two sections are not connected airside. The 40s gates (DL) now have an airside connection to T-2 (I think it is now open).

You can access any airside section with a same day BP - you just tell the BP checker that you're going there because your lounge is in this terminal (as they try and direct you to the "proper" terminal.)
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
With a two-hour layover scheduled, you'll have to make a judgment call on whether you have enough time to shower at the Admirals Club. Once you have cleared Customs and you've checked through your bag on US (if you have checked luggage), how much time do you have?

If it's 90 minutes or more to the US departure, I think you'll have sufficient time to walk to T2 (or take AirTrain Blue Line if you prefer), clear T2 security, shower, walk over to T1, clear T1 security and get to the gate on time.

With 60-90 minutes, it's getting a little tight. Walk and shower quickly if you try this. Under 60 minutes and I say just go to T1.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:47 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by italdesign
[Edit] I also have access to Admirals Club in T2, which it says has a shower. It's open till midnight, while Centurion only till 11pm, and my flight arrives 10:15, so Centurion may be out.
Given that you only have 2 hours, it would be easier to use the paid (cheap) shower facility at FreshenUp. It's on the opposite end of the international terminal from where you arrive and open until 11pm if you make it thru immigration fast enough.

Figure 10 min walk to the shower then 15 min to the USAirways gates in T1. Going to be faster than walking past the USAirways gates, clearing security in T2, taking a shower, then walking back to US and clearing security again.

No matter how you plan it, 2 hours will be tight. US is in the same terminal section as Southwest, so the checkpoint can be an interesting place.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
T-1 has two sections - the 20s/30s gates, and the 40s gates. The two sections are not connected airside. The 40s gates (DL) now have an airside connection to T-2 (I think it is now open).
The T-1 airside connection to T-2 is definitely now open. I just used it two weeks ago. Unfortunately, the geniuses who designed SFO did not include an airside connection to T-3.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Totoro
The T-1 airside connection to T-2 is definitely now open. I just used it two weeks ago. Unfortunately, the geniuses who designed SFO did not include an airside connection to T-3.
Just to clarify for the unfamiliar, the airside connection you mention is between T2 (American and Virgin America) and T1C (Delta). T1B (Southwest, US Air) and International-A (Skyteam, One World, JetBlue) currently lack airside connections to any other terminal.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dhuey
Just to clarify for the unfamiliar, the airside connection you mention is between T2 (American and Virgin America) and T1C (Delta). T1B (Southwest, US Air) and International-A (Skyteam, One World, JetBlue) currently lack airside connections to any other terminal.
T1 and T2 are connected by the new connector. It is irrelevant what pier in T1 C/B is. The resin for this connector is because when US and AA merged, US was not moving over to T2. So to make it easier for connecting, US passengers can walk securely over to T2 and vice versa. One other reason, given by the airport ,was the amenities in T1 were sub par and it allows paxs to use T2.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
T1 and T2 are connected by the new connector. It is irrelevant what pier in T1 C/B is. The resin for this connector is because when US and AA merged, US was not moving over to T2. So to make it easier for connecting, US passengers can walk securely over to T2 and vice versa. One other reason, given by the airport ,was the amenities in T1 were sub par and it allows paxs to use T2.
It is absolutely relevant the distinction between T1C and T1B as the two piers are not connected airside. There is *no* way to go from T1B to T2 airside. The airside connector is only from T1C to T2. US Airways is supposed to move from T1B to T1C at some point, but it does not appear to have switched yet.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
It is absolutely relevant the distinction between T1C and T1B as the two piers are not connected airside. There is *no* way to go from T1B to T2 airside. The airside connector is only from T1C to T2. US Airways is supposed to move from T1B to T1C at some point, but it does not appear to have switched yet.
What he said ^ .

I'd imagine any switch will be a long time coming, especially if there aren't some common use gates in the plan.

I'd also imagine that a ground-level airside connector between T1 (B and C) and T1 and Int'l A gates would be more expensive than it is worth as a temporary stopgap measure prior to terminal reconstruction, even if there was even room that didn't get in the way of construction.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
I stand corrected. You are correct. I forgot T1C is Delta and was confusing the two gate areas in T1B.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
I stand corrected. You are correct. I forgot T1C is Delta and was confusing the two gate areas in T1B.
No worries.

Separately, does anyone know who pays for these airside connections? Is it airlines, groups of airlines, SFO or a combo?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
If I am flying JetBlue, which I think uses the International Terminal, and want to access the Centurion Lounge in Terminal 3, is there a way to do that while staying airside?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by PresRDC
If I am flying JetBlue, which I think uses the International Terminal, and want to access the Centurion Lounge in Terminal 3, is there a way to do that while staying airside?

Thanks!
nope (but it's fairly straightforward to clear security twice if you've got precheck)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:13 pm

nope (but it's fairly straightforward to clear security twice if you've got precheck)
Yes, and SFO terminals are situated in such a way that that going from one terminal to another is within a short walking distance. Of course, it's a judgment call on whether to go through security in another terminal just to enter a lounge. But it is doable if you can spare the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.