Reload this Page >

Driving on East Bay freeways/SF Mission may be dicey for a bit

Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:14 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB

PLEASE don't take this to an OMNI place...

Protestors have been closing several freeway exits since various grad jury decisions have been revealed. If your plans involve driving through Oakland or Berkeley or visiting the Mission or Union Square in SF check local traffic or news for what's happening in real time.

www.ktvu.com
sfist.com/2014/12/05/second_night_in_a_row_of_local_prot.php
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
IME driving on 880 at any time is a bit dicey!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Is this happening today, squeakr?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Honestly, I don't think the protests add to the potential of delays much more than the usual variable number of accidents, construction, etc.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Is this happening today, squeakr?
Last night was a mess in Berkeley, far from Campus.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Last night was a mess in Berkeley, far from Campus.
Yeah, the University Ave exit from 80 was closed in both directions when I went by at about 8 pm. There were quite a few police officers around.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:10 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like the police have gotten pretty good at getting demonstrators off the freeways rapidly now. Or at least, so implies the 11pm news.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Honestly, I don't think the protests add to the potential of delays much more than the usual variable number of accidents, construction, etc.
I agree. It's always wise to check the traffic report when driving around the S.F. Bay Area. The all-news station KCBS 740 AM has traffic reports every 10 minutes on the 8s (:08, :18, etc.).
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
I agree. It's always wise to check the traffic report when driving around the S.F. Bay Area. The all-news station KCBS 740 AM has traffic reports every 10 minutes on the 8s (:08, :18, etc.).
Sigalert.com has been pretty good about having up-to-date highway closures, too. There's also an app.

It is also a good idea to check www.bart.gov for service advisories, i.e., Saturday both North Berkeley and Berkeley Bart stations were closed for awhile, and Sunday, Berkeley Bart station was closed for awhile.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:46 am

You would be incorrect in that assumption. Last night, the traffic was backed up for hours because of protestors walking on 80. Police kept clearing the protestors, who continued to tear down fences and walk on the highway. BART was closed, and Amtrak was closed for a bit.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by climbermom
You would be incorrect in that assumption. Last night, the traffic was backed up for hours because of protestors walking on 80. Police kept clearing the protestors, who continued to tear down fences and walk on the highway. BART was closed, and Amtrak was closed for a bit.
The Amtrak train was delayed for about an hour. BART station closures are not terribly rare. And what we saw on I-80 can happen with a really bad multi-car accident.

To be clear, these protests are serious traffic and transit concerns. It's just that we have similarly problematic traffic and transit concerns fairly regularly around here. Protests or no protests, check a traffic report.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Amtrak train was delayed for about an hour. BART station closures are not terribly rare. And what we saw on I-80 can happen with a really bad multi-car accident.

To be clear, these protests are serious traffic and transit concerns. It's just that we have similarly problematic traffic and transit concerns fairly regularly around here. Protests or no protests, check a traffic report.
Well, last night was more special than usual. A lot more special than a bad multi-car accident (primarily because of how unpredictable things were). I certainly wouldn't want to be caught up in it, because of the rogue opportunists.

Probably one more night, and then a good rainstorm will hopefully quiet things down.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, last night was more special than usual.
Indeed, it was. I'm only saying that it was hardly something we've never seen before. I think the two recent BART strikes and resulting traffic gridlock were much worse and much longer in duration than what we've seen with these protests.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Indeed, it was. I'm only saying that it was hardly something we've never seen before. I think the two recent BART strikes and resulting traffic gridlock were much worse and much longer in duration than what we've seen with these protests.
Anyone else remember the Safeway semi truck that spilled vegetables or something and closed off all but one lane on the Bay Bridge s-curve for hours? I shudder recalling that one.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone else remember the Safeway semi truck that spilled vegetables or something and closed off all but one lane on the Bay Bridge s-curve for hours? I shudder recalling that one.
My husband got stuck in that one. What a mess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.