Wiki Posts
Search

How long does it take to get out of SFO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

How long does it take to get out of SFO

Hi forum,

I am considering the timing for my booking of a rental car rental in SFO.
Flying in from Frankfurt and I will have to go through immigration etc...

How much time should I plan from ETA to the car rental desk at the airport?

Thanks
Christian
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread as I move it to the San Francisco Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If you are concerned about what time to tell the car rental company you will pick up the car, just give them your flight information - flight #, scheduled arrival time - and they will note your reservation and hold the car. If you are planning some subsequent activity, it can vary greatly, depending on how busy immigration and customs are, but I would say it would be reasonable to assume you could be in your car 90-120 minutes after arrival time in most cases.
squeakr likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Yeah, as long as they have your flight info, they'll know when to expect you. Just put down a good guess as to when you think you'll show up. Just did a quick check of Avis, Hertz, and National, and all are open 24/7. I'm sure most/all of the other brands are as well.

Last time I rented at SFO (last summer) I arrived about midnight and there were probably 30-40 customers in the rental car center picking up cars.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by JerryFF
it can vary greatly, depending on how busy immigration and customs are, but I would say it would be reasonable to assume you could be in your car 90-120 minutes after arrival time in most cases.
I've been through SFO immigrations & customs a few dozen times-- as a US citizen, though, not a foreigner. I'm surprised at your estimate of 90-120 minutes. I would have guessed 60-75 for a non-citizen, especially for travelers who have all their paperwork in order.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I've been through SFO immigrations & customs a few dozen times-- as a US citizen, though, not a foreigner. I'm surprised at your estimate of 90-120 minutes. I would have guessed 60-75 for a non-citizen, especially for travelers who have all their paperwork in order.
But then they have get up to the train and go out to the rental car center. I'd say 90 minutes is a fair estimate, followed by a conservative "worst case" (well, except in case of computer failure) scenario.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
As Eastbay1K said, I was including the additional time to get out to the car rental center, not just getting through immigration and customs.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Having done this dozens of times as a non-citizen, I'd say anywhere between 10 minutes and 90 minutes from when you get off the plane to getting through immigration. Add an extra 10 minutes to the minimum if you have checked bags. And another 10+ minutes to get to the train and to the rental car center.

SFO is one of the better airports as far as immigration, but as with most airports it can vary wildly depending on who lands before you, and even how quickly you get off the plane.

As others have said, the best option is to give the rental company your flight details, so they will hold your reservation if your flight is delayed. All of the major rental companies at SFO will only start your rental time when you actually pickup the car, not at the time your booking was for.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:42 am

Wanting to revive this as I want to know who long to get out of SFO on a domestic flight from LAX. I will have checked baggage aswell.

Thanks,
Old May 24, 2019, 5:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Aidan
Wanting to revive this as I want to know who long to get out of SFO on a domestic flight from LAX. I will have checked baggage aswell.

Thanks,
I’d say you’ll arrive at the rental counter about 45 min after your flight arrives at the gate. Take the elevator from baggage claim to level 3, cross the bridge to get Airtrain Blue Line.
Aidan likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by dhuey

I’d say you’ll arrive at the rental counter about 45 min after your flight arrives at the gate. Take the elevator from baggage claim to level 3, cross the bridge to get Airtrain Blue Line.
Thanks for the quick reply. Will it take 45 mins to get to the taxi 🚖 rank aswell ?
Old May 24, 2019, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

Thanks for the quick reply. Will it take 45 mins to get to the taxi 🚖 rank aswell ?
No, taxi would be very quick after you get your bag. It’s right outside baggage claim.
Aidan likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks,
Getting to the rental car center is the least of your worries coming off of an LAX-SFO flight. SFO ATC delays are frequent and very weather dependent. If it is raining or there is cloud cover at SFO, you risk significant inbound ATC delays from LAX or other short-haul west coast cities.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
]Will it take 45 mins to get to the taxi 🚖 rank aswell ?
Originally Posted by dhuey
No, taxi would be very quick after you get your bag. It’s right outside baggage claim.
Note that SFO has a $20 or so per day rental car facilities charge, which can be avoided by renting from a city location. Depending on how long you are staying and where you are going, it is often cheaper to take a taxi to your destination and then renting. This works especially well if you are staying in the city, near Union Square.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SFO777
Note that SFO has a $20 or so per day rental car facilities charge, which can be avoided by renting from a city location. Depending on how long you are staying and where you are going, it is often cheaper to take a taxi to your destination and then renting. This works especially well if you are staying in the city, near Union Square.
Not to mention that City hotel parking is in the $70+/day range in many places, so renting a car, by the day, on the days needed, may be beneficial for those staying in central locations within SF.
SFO777 and dhuey like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.